Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Corvettes at Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM
MLacroix
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Corvettes at Carlisle

I am planning to drive up for the Corvettes at Carlisle event in August 2019. I have never been there and am wondering if any CF members have suggestions for a newbi. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:36 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by MLacroix
I am planning to drive up for the Corvettes at Carlisle event in August 2019. I have never been there and am wondering if any CF members have suggestions for a newbi. Thanks.
Most important......get your hotel reservations NOW or very soon! Hotels fill up quickly & you don't want to be stuck miles from the fairgrounds. Also keep an eye on the Carlise website. Couple of months before the event they will announce special pricing for "Fun Field" admission, which allows you to park within the fairgrounds plus some other goodies..
Old 01-15-2019, 01:58 PM
AJP03CoupeNJ
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MLacroix
Number #1 thing is book your room for sure.
Number #2 call 717-243-7855 for your Fun Field pass. Allows you to park on the field anywhere you find a space good for all days.
Or get the reserve Fun Field pass. You get a specific space (yours only) good for all days. More money but worth it. I like this option so if I want to get there later or leave and come back I have a parking space with my name on it that no one can use. Have been doing this for the last three years and for me it is the way to go.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:09 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Use Hotels.com or Trip Advisor to search for hotels. Also, you can use choicehotels.com. All those sites will give you a better list of hotels than looking one by one. Be prepared for price shock. The better hotels closest to the fairgrounds will go for around $200 and up per night. Carlisle Rd, Garland, Harrisburg Rd are all close. A lot of guys stay in Mechanicsburg and close to Harrisburg for the show. Some of those hotels will have you taking the turnpike (toll road) each way, so you might want to consider if you want to pay each day. You can try the Super 8 South on Alexander Springs Road. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/super-...&iata=00065402 They had rooms last time I checked. Very close, not terribly expensive, not a dive. And there's a very good restaurant across the highway from it called the Walnut Bottom Diner. Good basic food.

Be sure that if you're bringing a Vette to get a Fun Field pass so you have the best experience. I believe it's $85 for the four days (Thurs - Sunday) and includes fun field parking (which is prime parking on the fairgrounds), a goody bag, dash plaque, and t shirt. Plus your car could be picked for a celebrity pick on Saturday and you could get an award. Fun Field parking is first come, first served, so if you park in one spot one day, there's no guarantee you'll get the same spot the following days unless you do RESERVED Fun Field for $150. Those spots guarantee you YOUR spot, with a name sign at the spot and nobody else can park there except you. They sell out VERY fast so if that's what you're thinking of, call tomorrow. If you opt to do just the Fun Field pass, you'll need to get to the fairgrounds by 8 a.m. each day to get a good parking spot. If you do the reserved (that's what we do) you can come and go as you please.

Bring a pop up canopy if you have on or can borrow one. Everybody has them because there is zero shade on the fairgrounds. Last year's weather was the best we've had in the 16 years we've been going. Low 80's and sunny the whole time. But we've also been there when it's been in the 100's and miserable or torrential rains so that canopy will be your best friend. Bring a folding bag chair or whatever kind of chair you want because there is zero seating except for the grandstand or one set of bleachers close to the entrance.
Bring a good hat and comfortable walking shoes. A couple t shirts and shorts is all you need, nothing fancy. And money. Cash. There are plenty of food vendors on site selling everything from breakfast to dinner, eggs to fried chicken and hot sausage. There's even a Subway on the grounds. Sunglasses. Be prepared to have a good time.

When you think of anything else you need to know, feel free to ask.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:18 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Something every Corvette owner and or lover should attend at least once, you just will not believe that there are that many Corvette's
Old 01-16-2019, 08:29 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by hcvone
Something every Corvette owner and or lover should attend at least once, you just will not believe that there are that many Corvette's
You need to go more than once to see and experience everything. Lots of great people to meet every year.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:52 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by CTYANK2
You need to go more than once to see and experience everything. Lots of great people to meet every year.
That's why I said at least
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Eat a cheesesteak sub at Vinny's (tell him no tomato sauce/gravy unless you want it) and also get some deep fried chicken from Stams..... Also, you should feel right at home (like Dallas) because it can get pretty hot and humid in Carlisle in August..... and be prepared for some heavy rain and wind at some point during the weekend !! Have fun. Worth mentioning......, Vinny's and Stams aren't on the Fairgrounds, they're in town.

Last edited by Jims66; 01-17-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Good shoes for doing a lot of walking, sun screen and rain gear. It may have changed but I think the big days are Friday and Saturday, however I head that Thursdays are getting popular as well, on Sundays people leave and vendors pack up.

I have not been there is a few years, but the swap meet was turning into a general flea market, vs more corvette and automotive stuff.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:00 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jims66
Eat a cheesesteak sub at Vinny's (tell him no tomato sauce/gravy unless you want it) and also get some deep fried chicken from Stams..... Also, you should feel right at home (like Dallas) because it can get pretty hot and humid in Carlisle in August..... and be prepared for some heavy rain and wind at some point during the weekend !! Have fun. Worth mentioning......, Vinny's and Stams aren't on the Fairgrounds, they're in town.
If Stams was the chicken vendor in the food court, they're gone. This past year was their last. Hopefully they'll get another chicken seller in there.
And be prepared for DOGS. They were everywhere last year, even inside the food court. I had to toss my food (which isn't cheap) because some idiot holding his dog decided to sit beside me and the dog shook and hair went flying. The dog issue really needs addressed. Dogs don't belong at these big shows.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just hire this dog to evict all the other dogs .............

Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM
MLacroix
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. Just the kind of help I was looking for from the CF family.
I have my hotel reservation in hand.
Driving up from NC on Friday, do the show on Saturday and then driving back to NC on Sunday.
On Tuesday we meet up with the NC/VA caravan and head to the 25th celebration at the NCM.
Should be a great month of Corvette activities.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:03 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If you are just going the one day you can do the math and save a bit of money if you want. Instead of the fun field show parking and admission they have general parking on the fairgrounds for corvettes only, first come first serve. In any event you want to be up at the crack of dawn to avoid the morning lines. With the fun field if you get it early they send you your windshield sticker in the mail (get in faster) and you get a goodie bag. Not sure how it is nowadays, the last Carlise I went to was two years ago for the Ford nationals. It basically spam. Back in the day you get great vendor samples, like a full can of stoners glass cleaner, nice t-shirt and other stuff.

Last edited by Humanoid 2.0; 01-17-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:16 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Yeah, the goody bags aren't what they used to be. But what is? Stoner's doesn't even come any more. Many of the vendors who used to come don't come any more. Adam's usually has a sample bottle of detail spray inside at least. The t shirts are nice, and they have improved over the years. And there's always a new calendar in the bag for the remainder of the current year and all of the next year. And always a dash plaque. But the rest is pretty much paper ads and a pen or two. But hey, at least it's something. We don't really care. We're there to see the cars, walk around, meet up with old friends, and make some new ones.
One day wouldn't be enough time for me, but then again, that was all we did the first year. Parked in general Vette parking over the hill. And I still remember walking to the top of the hill and saw the sea of Corvettes for the first time. I was hooked.
Be sure to stop at the Chevy Performance trailer where you'll see a lot of computers. Sign up to get some info from Chevy, and they'll give you a nice t shirt for free. And stop at the Adam's Polishes tent and watch the guys teach you how to take the best care of your rides. Always a good crowd working there.
You could always sign up for the Saturday night parade through downtown Carlisle! Sign up at the customer service office ( I think) by the grandstand when you get there.

Last edited by USA1 427; 01-17-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:54 AM
Jims66
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
If Stams was the chicken vendor in the food court, they're gone. This past year was their last. Hopefully they'll get another chicken seller in there.
And be prepared for DOGS. They were everywhere last year, even inside the food court. I had to toss my food (which isn't cheap) because some idiot holding his dog decided to sit beside me and the dog shook and hair went flying. The dog issue really needs addressed. Dogs don't belong at these big shows.
Stamm's: 44 E High St, Carlisle, PA 17013
Vinny's: 330 S Hanover St, Carlisle, PA 17013

Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
USA1 427 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 PM
gn85
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, on Friday is when they make the flag out of Corvettes. So depending on what time you get there, you may be able to participate in this if you'd like.

This was my first year for Corvettes of Carlisle, although I've been to other Carlisle events. I would suggest paying attention to the schedule of days events to check out everything there is to offer. I checked out several seminars. If you're somewhat tech savvy, get the app that lists the activities throughout the day.

Be prepared to climb 'the hill'. It'll give you a work out.

If you had any plans on purchasing an exhaust for your car, the vendors offer free installation AT the show. I didn't have an exhaust installed, but enjoyed checking out the demonstrations of the different systems for that are offered.

On a side note, I'm planning on joining the NC/VA caravan to NCM as well.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

There is also a free tram you can ride around the fairgrounds. About every 20 minutes or so it will make a loop. Makes it easy to see a lot when you can't walk too far or it's hot and you're tired.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvettes at Carlisle

Old 01-21-2019, 04:15 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

If you have any other questions about the area, show etc., send me a pm, I'm quite familiar with the area and the show...
Old 01-24-2019, 08:33 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Good shoes for doing a lot of walking, sun screen and rain gear. It may have changed but I think the big days are Friday and Saturday, however I head that Thursdays are getting popular as well, on Sundays people leave and vendors pack up.

I have not been there is a few years, but the swap meet was turning into a general flea market, vs more corvette and automotive stuff.
Saw this on the CAC website.

2019 Corvettes at Carlisle - Swap Spaces
Space size is approximately 10ft frontage x 30ft depth. Spaces designated for sale of new and used parts-accessories-literature-memorabilia-collectibles etc. and may also include show specific cars for sale. Must be 80% automotive related.

Click here to view a map of the fairgrounds.

Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

That's an overall map of the fairgrounds. This one of the Corvette show (last year's) gives you a better idea of parking, reserved spaces, and special event areas that's a bit easier to read. I'm sure some things will be switched around this year like every year so expect to see the new map come out on their site about a month before the show.
http://www.carlisleevents.com/pdf/20...p-Schedule.pdf

Quick Reply: Corvettes at Carlisle