Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Ocean city cruise week meetup

Old 05-09-2019, 08:56 AM
Novettyett
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocean city cruise week meetup

Looked and didnt see any recent posts so... is Anybody meeting up to ride down to Ocean City Maryland cruise week? I wanted to ride down Saturday
Old 05-09-2019, 09:16 AM
zone69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I’m heading out on Thursday I’ll be there till Sunday morning will meet up if one is posted I plan on going to drag strip on Friday or Saturday depending on the weather
Old 05-10-2019, 11:00 PM
RockHeadss
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I'm planning on going down on Thursday .. I hope the weather holds up ...
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM
alec427
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'll be there Thurs-Sunday
Old 05-14-2019, 12:13 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Saturday? Might as well stay home!
Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
zone69
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So far weather looks good I’ll be taking my 04 Silver/black top vert hope to see some fellow forum members there
Old 05-15-2019, 05:19 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Don't forget. Special Event Zones are in effect now. No going faster than 30 mph on Coastal Highway (main drag) and side streets (Baltimore and Philadelphia mainly) until Monday. Cops are out in FORCE!! There won't be any getting away with peeling out at stop lights or intersections. Be smart.

And if you can't be there, you can watch the daily parades, and traffic on Coastal at www.oceancitylive.com

Last edited by USA1 427; 05-15-2019 at 05:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zone69 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 01:10 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

Any idea what time the parades start? I'm heading down tomorrow morning and would like to catch it.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:03 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Supposed to start at 8 a.m. each morning, but they're usually going down by 7:30 a.m. Over by 9:30 usually. Don't forget to check out the shows at the inlet , the Convention Center, and other places around town, plus the cruise in in Berlin on Saturday.
The following users liked this post:
Robrote (05-17-2019)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Spent last night there. Weather was great. Crowds in the thousands and cops in the hundreds. All in all, a good night.

Last edited by Rich Mickol; 05-19-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:05 AM
Novettyett
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided not to go because of the cops heard they lowered the speed limit to 30mph. Friends that were down there Thursday got tickes for no front tag and clear tag cover soon as they arrived.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I ended up going down Satursday morning. I spent most of the day there. Definitly a fun time. It's obvious the local political machine has no love for the cruise, given the police presence. The cops were virtually on every corner and they were looking for things to cite people for. On the other hand, a case could be made for not wanting 1500hp, blown cars on the street. I thought it was pretty cool. though.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:11 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Drove over the bay bridge towards OC today around 4:30 and they were backed up going westbound from over the bridge, all the way back to about Easton. About 20, 25 miles. I'm talking bumper to bumper, crawling or stopped. There were no accidents, just that many cars . I felt sorry for them because I bet 9/10 of them had no clue why they were stuck in traffic. Including the Meguiars and Comp Cam's tractor trailers were in the mess. Would't wish backups like that on anyone. Hope you all made it home okay. I'm enjoying the last few days of quiet in OC without the mayhem. As for the cops, came down Coastal about 8:30 tonight (SUNDAY!) and cops were still sitting with radar guns out their windows. lol
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM
gn85
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Drove over the bay bridge towards OC today around 4:30 and they were backed up going westbound from over the bridge, all the way back to about Easton. About 20, 25 miles. I'm talking bumper to bumper, crawling or stopped. There were no accidents, just that many cars . I felt sorry for them because I bet 9/10 of them had no clue why they were stuck in traffic. Including the Meguiars and Comp Cam's tractor trailers were in the mess. Would't wish backups like that on anyone. Hope you all made it home okay. I'm enjoying the last few days of quiet in OC without the mayhem. As for the cops, came down Coastal about 8:30 tonight (SUNDAY!) and cops were still sitting with radar guns out their windows. lol
We managed to dodge some of the traffic, but it was still a mess. We ended up pulling off at Kent Narrows and having dinner. We could see the traffic from our table and just waited it out.

I did get pulled over for 39 in a 30. After checking out that I'm good, he sent me off with a verbal warning. No $600 ticket for me.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gn85
We managed to dodge some of the traffic, but it was still a mess. We ended up pulling off at Kent Narrows and having dinner. We could see the traffic from our table and just waited it out.

I did get pulled over for 39 in a 30. After checking out that I'm good, he sent me off with a verbal warning. No $600 ticket for me.
Boy did you luck out!! They issued over 1300 tickets over the weekend for everything from burnouts, speeding, and even revving your engine. Ridiculous. This coming weekend will be worse though for the holiday.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Boy did you luck out!! They issued over 1300 tickets over the weekend for everything from burnouts, speeding, and even revving your engine. Ridiculous. This coming weekend will be worse though for the holiday.
It's this kind of B.S. why I won't go back there. Friend almost convinced me to go but then I changed my mind. I can put put around in my town and hate it. Why bother driving 3 hours the when it's jammed with traffic and ticket happy cops.

We should just pick some random town and descend on it. Not the same town twice.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elijah71
It's this kind of B.S. why I won't go back there. Friend almost convinced me to go but then I changed my mind. I can put put around in my town and hate it. Why bother driving 3 hours the when it's jammed with traffic and ticket happy cops.

We should just pick some random town and descend on it. Not the same town twice.
Skip Cruise In and head to OC the first weekend in October for Corvette weekend! It's really only Saturday, but if you pay the bucks, they have stuff on Friday night as well. NO traffic, no PITA cops with their noses out of joint. Nice parade of Corvettes up the boardwalk on Saturday at 4, shows at the inlet in the morning till noon, poker runs, and more. Check it out. http://www.freestatecorvette.com/Corvette-Weekend

As for cruise in OC this past weekend, we skipped it, and we've been to nearly every one. Drove down Sunday to Wed. instead and enjoyed no crowds, no traffic, no lines to eat. Perfect.

Get notified of new replies

To Ocean city cruise week meetup

Old 05-24-2019, 05:21 PM
gn85
Instructor

I've been going to Cruisin' week for many years. I've seen the police have good years and not good years. The police were definitely out in strong numbers. There were even numerous DNR pickup trucks pulling people over. I think the number of police and $600 tickets were keeping cruisers pretty 'calm' this year. The police were also focusing heavily on the Wawa on 120th. With the traffic being bad, I didn't bother to go down to the inlet.

In my opinion, the lower speed limit is BS. Just making it easier for police to pull people over. I have no problem with police doing their job. I understand the pressure OCMD is under to keeping this event tame. I don't want to see anybody getting into serious accidents. But the 30mph speed limit and possibility of getting a $600 ticket for breaking that limit is excessive and may even have a hard time holding up in court.

If I had been ripping on the gears and driving like an idiot and they pulled me over for 39 in a 30, I could probably understand getting a ticket. Honestly, I had simply accelerated thru first, second and third gear with hardly any throttle. I was actually paying attention to a pickup truck that was wandering over into my lane. There was no need to pull me over. I got a warning, so I'm obviously not pressed about it. I will likely go back again to OCMD next spring.

But the 1300 tickets may drive Cruising out of OCMD. Along with the money.

Originally Posted by Elijah71

Old 05-25-2019, 10:49 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

One thing to note here about the 30 mph rule. It was put into effect basically because of the H20i event which was held late Sept., early Oct. where the younger crowd brought their tubbed and ridiculous Toyotas, Mitsubishi's,and Saturns and raised hell. They weren't even involved with H20i which is held for VW's in West Ocean City/Berlin, and not even in OC. These other clowns just decided that it was their chance to go to the town and tear it apart. And they did. Hundreds of thousands of dollars of damage done all over town. And it also wasn't that many registered cruisers at Cruise In that were an issue either, but rather the same type mentality idiots with their big pick ups and new cars who thought it was okay to use Coastal Highway as a drag strip. The trucks really ruined it for us. We'd be sitting there watching the cars cruise, and these trucks would deliberately blow the black smoke on us. Or others would line their truck beds with plastic and fill it with water and drive around with kids in the bed like a swimming pool. Then they'd trow buckets of water on people watching. So yeah, OC had to do something. H20i moved out, but the numbskulls still came the following year (in fewer numbers). Do I think Special Event Productions will move Cruise In out of OC? Definitely. But it's going to take a couple of years to coordinate the move, but I expect to see it happen. And all the businesses are going to suffer.
The Special Event Zone ordinance that limits the speed to 30 mph is going to be used for Cruise In in May, Bike Week in September, and fall Cruise In in October. It won't be in effect (as far as my wife knows) for the Corvette weekend. Which is proof that we Corvette owners mostly have better sense and a little more respect.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:22 PM
gn85
Instructor

I was also curious as to how many people who are local and simply commuting to work get caught up in this ticketing scheme. A younger person trying to make a few bucks over the summer will take heck of a hit. I actually felt bad for them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ocean city cruise week meetup