Northern California Northern California

Thunderhill, July 30-31. National Corvette Museum HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thunderhill, July 30-31. National Corvette Museum HPDE

The National Corvette Museum and Hooked on driving will be sponsoring an awesome 2 day event at Thunderhill July 30-31. Here is the information from the National Corvette Museum website. Motor Sport Image will be there for track support!

NCM/HOD Thunderhill HPDE

We are pleased to announce that the NCM is continuing to expand our high-interest and successful HPDE program with a partnership with the Hooked on Driving in a joint event at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, California on July 30-31, 2009 . This will be the first of what should be a broad western expansion of the Museum's highly regarded Performance Driving program. Thunderhill is an exciting and challenging track with excellent facilities and we are looking forward to this addition to our schedule.

This event is even more unique with an optional road tour incorporated into the event prior to registration check-in at the track on July 29th. Anyone interested in the tour, drivers, spectators, friends etc, can pre-register for the road tour, cost $13 pp. We will meet at the Maxwell Inn , Maxwell California at 12:30pm on Wednesday the 29th. Following lunch the group will depart on a spectacular drive through the remote western coastal mountains of California , guided by the California Highway Patrol. The tour will end at the Thunderhill track where there will be light refreshments, a tour of the facilities and a parade lap. Pre-registered participants will be able to check in at registration and get their package. This welcome event is being hosted by Hooked On Driving.

Thursday and Friday will feature our full 2-day school on Thunderhill’s 3 mile course. Student coaching will be provided by HOD and NCM Instructors. Kirk Bennion, Corvette Exterior Design Manager and part time racer, will be on hand to answer your Corvette questions and provide advanced Instruction.

Run groups will be on course at 8:30am , with driver’s meeting on the first day at 7:45 . On site registration will be open at 7:00am (gates open at 6:30am ). Beginners and low intermediates will receive excellent coaching. For more advanced drivers, we will also provide expert driving tips for those who want to continue to improve. The event registration includes an event T-shirt, hot catered lunches for drivers on both days, and all the water you can drink. Facility note: Thunderhill Raceway is a fully developed facility with air conditioned clubhouse, indoor observation deck, exterior paddock canopies that can cover at least 70 cars, on-site gas fill-ups with 91, 101 unleaded, and 110 leaded, as well as compressed air. Roseville, CA-based Corvette specialty shop MSI, Motorsport Image and Performance (www.motorsportimage.com), will be on site offering technical tips, mechanical support and parts supply for those in need. The student registration fee for the entire 2-day school is $565 for run groups: A-Beginner, B-Low Intermediate, C-High Intermediate, D Advanced/Race-prepped. Coaches/Instructors are in run group X. Students must drive either a coupe or FRC Corvette; convertibles are only permitted if they have an SCCA roll cage.

On Thursday evening, July 30th, after a great day at the track we’ll gather all who chose to join in and parade into Willows. Led by the local peace officers, the group will circulate the downtown, and be greeted at beautiful Sycamore Park near the County Seat buildings. In this town square shaded by ancient Eucalyptus trees, our Corvettes will be organized in a park and shine (just for fun) as we display to the Willows community a vast array of Corvettes. The Willows Rotary Club will serve a special home made catered dinner with non-alcoholic beverages (no alcohol in the park) at $17 per person (to non-profit).

The addition of Thunderhill brings a West Coast event back to our schedule for 2009. Watch for the announcements on NCM eNews for information on all of our events including when registration opens. Registration for Thunderhill should open in April. You will want to make your reservations as soon as registration opens as this event will fill up in MINUTES. Pre-registration includes a personalized event hardcard and event t-shirt

We are tremendously excited by our partnership with Hooked On Driving and look forward to additional events in the future. Make sure you are signed up on the NCM eNews to receive the latest news on this and all NCM events.

Click here to register
Old 07-16-2009, 08:59 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Based on what I've read, they have opened up a non-Vette run group
at least one day if anyone has friends who want to get out to TH,
but aren't Vette drivers.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 AM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Will I see you there Randy?
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Hi Randy,
Here is a exert from the Hooked on driving site

Thunderhill Raceway
Thursday, July 30 2009 / Friday, July 31 2009
HOD Presents: National Corvette Museum Driving School

Corvettes from far and wide will trek to this first-ever HOD hosted National Corvette Museum Driving School. This event is now posted for registration through the www.corvettemuseum.com website - the link to this event is: http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../thunder.shtml There has NEVER been a Corvette event like this in the Western States - we have posted the entire 2+ day event description on the "Event Info" link just below this paragraph. Take a look and join in - you will register on the NCM Website, but the event will be managed by HOD. It wll be an awesome time for everyone involved.

[Event Info]

Registration Fee: $0.00
Thunderhill Raceway
Friday, July 31 2009
July 31st: Friends of Corvettes!! B-C Run Group Only

Steal this day! Short notice! The Corvette Museum event on this date is the headliner, but it looks like there will be asphalt going to waste, as their numbers are still a bit low. So - they've said "Bring Friends!" Any B or C drivers are invited to join this additional run group - and run any appropriate car you have!! We'll work to manage passing rules to accomodate an experienced driver, but keep things smooth and controlled like every HOD event. This will be a fun day, with plenty of track time - come join us!!

[Event Info]

Registration Fee: $275.00

B/C Intermediate/Advanced - AVAILABLE
Old 07-18-2009, 03:09 PM
FredSM
Drifting

Ya, the participation from the Corvette crowd is surprisingly light, which is puzzling to me. We're selling out most of our events, including historically the Hooked on Corvettes days, and there is never a shortage of Corvettes even on a "normal" day . . . even in this crappy economy. Is it the timing (heat of the summer, work day, etc.) or the cost or is there something else my pea brain is missing?

Anyway, don't want to sound all down-in-the-mouth. This is going to be a really fun time for anyone who can attend. I'm certainly looking forward to it. So if anyone is on the fence, I sure hope you can join us . . .

FM
Old 07-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Tamara and I are ready to go. Gerry's in and Bob is going. The MSI speed contingent will be in full force. Can't wait!!

-Dave
Old 07-31-2009, 01:40 AM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

This was at the track today. This is the Owens Corning L88 Corvette. It was beautifully restored as when it was racing in the Trans Am Series. This was the winningest Corvette in Trans Am history. Just a great day, great weather and plenty of track time. These were taken with my little cell phone camera.
Attached Images      
Old 07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

How did day one go??? I got a phone call that somebody may have hurt their car?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

They did not get a large turnout of cars, so they even let some other makes run. I think that Gerry told me they were getting 6 sessions on the track. I left around 2:30, so someone might have hurt their car after that.

Dave and Gerry were once again the fastest cars on the tract, and I don't think anyone was close to their lap times. I did not have a watch on them, but they were carrying more speed down the front straight and getting into turn one deeper than everyone else.

Looked like eveyone was having fun and they even had some special practice drills that just used part of the course that a lot of the drivers were going through.

Larry
Old 07-31-2009, 02:20 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
They did not get a large turnout of cars, so they even let some other makes run. I think that Gerry told me they were getting 6 sessions on the track. I left around 2:30, so someone might have hurt their car after that.

Dave and Gerry were once again the fastest cars on the tract, and I don't think anyone was close to their lap times. I did not have a watch on them, but they were carrying more speed down the front straight and getting into turn one deeper than everyone else.

Looked like eveyone was having fun and they even had some special practice drills that just used part of the course that a lot of the drivers were going through.

Larry
Sounds great. I'm jealous!
Old 07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Gerry Gaspar and Dave Hollars were smoking at their normal 10/10 pace. Dave said he hits 151mph down the front straight. These two guys are the best driver's out there in their C6Z06's. Nothing left on the table when they wring a car out. Bob Owens was sorting out his Yellow C6Z06 and was getting pretty fast.
There was a guy from Oregon that lost it coming out of 13. He spun it around the hit the wall with his left rear. It was a yellow C6Z06. We all feel for him on that one. He was fine and wasn't hurt. The track support team was immediately on scene. They run a great and safe track event.

I left Mark drive my C6Z06 around a couple of session. He brings my car back after the last session and says, oh by the way, you are out of gas and your brakes are toasted.....thanks Mark....lol

We had about a dozen MSI Jaw Jackers cruise up there and watch the festivities. Several of them got rides with the instructors around the track. They were so in awe of what the Corvettes can do on the track. Yes, now they are "Hooked on Driving". No more car shows, let's get out and use our cars!
Old 07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by SMOKNC6Z06
Gerry Gaspar and Dave Hollars were smoking at their normal 10/10 pace. Dave said he hits 151mph down the front straight. These two guys are the best driver's out there in their C6Z06's. Nothing left on the table when they wring a car out. Bob Owens was sorting out his Yellow C6Z06 and was getting pretty fast.
There was a guy from Oregon that lost it coming out of 13. He spun it around the hit the wall with his left rear. It was a yellow C6Z06. We all feel for him on that one. He was fine and wasn't hurt. The track support team was immediately on scene. They run a great and safe track event.

I left Mark drive my C6Z06 around a couple of session. He brings my car back after the last session and says, oh by the way, you are out of gas and your brakes are toasted.....thanks Mark....lol

We had about a dozen MSI Jaw Jackers cruise up there and watch the festivities. Several of them got rides with the instructors around the track. They were so in awe of what the Corvettes can do on the track. Yes, now they are "Hooked on Driving". No more car shows, let's get out and use our cars!
That is the best sentence in the whole thread. That is what it's all about, getting out there and driving these things on track.

I knew the 2 ringers (Dave and Gerry) were goinna be hard, if not impossible, to beat. I really wished I could have made it up there, but we are swamped at work and I'm taking 2 weeks off for the honeymoon. Next year I should hopefully be back in the saddle and out having fun with all of you again.

RICH
Old 08-01-2009, 03:42 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Just got back. Worn out! What an incredible time. Tons of track time both days. Must have given a gazillion demo rides. Only made one gentleman queasy. Today Jerry Paneta (I'm sure I'm mangling the spelling) . . . one of the chief designers of the C6/Z06/ZR1 skin took my car out for a session. Now that's cool. We joked that if a factory designer bent my car I could probably live with that. I think he enjoyed the vette on R compounds. Jerry and Kirk Binion (again, sorry for mangling their names) had some neat stories to tell about the development of the C6.

Another ZR1 showed up. David Ray put on a little show courtesy of its owner. David said it was smooth and easy to drive.

Sure am sorry about the yellow Z. Shook me up a little since I was about 2 car lengths behind him. We'd been nose-to-tail for a couple of laps. Glad he's OK.

Got to drive one of the RX-7 race cars for a while today. What a blast! Almost put a for sale sign on the vette. Lap one I locked the rears braking for T10, spun, and put tons of kitty litter on the track. Sorry about that folks! But that was an E ticket ride. We adjusted the rear brake bias in the hot pit and back out I went ... with passengers! Sure hope they had as much fun as I did drifting through every corner. Definitely not used to having the throttle mashed all the time.

Anyway, to everyone who was there . . . ... hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Hopefully we can grow this relationship with the NCM. If you didn't attend . . . you missed one heck of a fun time.

Ya, Gerry and Dave are in a league of their own. Dave better watch out, though. His better half is not to be triffled with on the track!

Hey Doug . . . good seeing you again.

FM
Old 08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
DHack
Intermediate

What a blast. My first time ever making one of these events. Like Terry said. I'm just blown away by the capability of our cars. I was lucky enough to ride with David Ray for a few laps. WOW is all I can say. After a couple HOT laps with him I was about ready to have my breakfast for a second time. I was really impressed with the way the event was managed. Everybody there was great. A special thanks to all the instructors there. They all were very gracious to let us ride with them.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 AM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a blast. I wish I had more free time to spend with friends. After a session we'd have the download meeting and when that was over it was about time for our next session. They had car handling exercises Thursday and I just watched, had to save my tires. I watched from the hill above turn 15 in the shade. Looked like it was fun.

I need new tires now, my original EMT's have over 17,200 miles and 4-HPDE's. Waiting for the Michelin PS2 ZP's.

Great to see everyone...

Old 08-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Hands down the best two days on the track I have ever had. Fred, you and the other guys & gals at HOD are the best!!! It's always a pleasure running with you guys. Can't wait for next year's NCM event.

You're right, Tamara's getting pretty good at this track stuff. It's awesome that we have this hobby in common!! She asked me today... "what size Hoosiers would fit on my wheels?" Funny!

Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sure am sorry about the yellow Z. Shook me up a little since I was about 2 car lengths behind him. We'd been nose-to-tail for a couple of laps. Glad he's OK.

He is alright. His wife is a nurse and checked him out pretty good.

Got to drive one of the RX-7 race cars for a while today. What a blast! Almost put a for sale sign on the vette. Lap one I locked the rears braking for T10, spun, and put tons of kitty litter on the track. Sorry about that folks! But that was an E ticket ride. We adjusted the rear brake bias in the hot pit and back out I went ... with passengers! Sure hope they had as much fun as I did drifting through every corner. Definitely not used to having the throttle mashed all the time.

I was behind you and probably got that gravel spreading bulldozing on video. Haven't had time to review it yet :o)

Sure was fun and it was cooler there than at home up here in the great northwest, go figure.

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderhill, July 30-31. National Corvette Museum HPDE

Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Racin Z06
Hands down the best two days on the track I have ever had. Fred, you and the other guys & gals at HOD are the best!!! It's always a pleasure running with you guys. Can't wait for next year's NCM event.

You're right, Tamara's getting pretty good at this track stuff. It's awesome that we have this hobby in common!! She asked me today... "what size Hoosiers would fit on my wheels?" Funny!

Dave
Dave, I think we might have the only 2 wifes (fiance for me) that ask about getting Hoosiers on their cars for the track. We are both lucky men. :o
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Dave, I think we might have the only 2 wifes (fiance for me) that ask about getting Hoosiers on their cars for the track. We are both lucky men. :o
Yes we are!! I wouldn't want it any other way, just as long as she doesn't ask to drive my car.

Dave
Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
0SMOKNC6Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Do they have any single sisters.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill, July 30-31. National Corvette Museum HPDE