Northern California Northern California

Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 AM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance tires?

Bout to order 2 drag radials. Getting ready to hit up the track soon. Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance these? They will be going on my old 18x9.5 rears that still have the old TPMS inside (will want those removed)...so I might also need new valve stems I'm guessing. I got the price shipped on the tires so trying to get an approximate total now. Thanks
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 AM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5
Bout to order 2 drag radials. Getting ready to hit up the track soon. Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance these? They will be going on my old 18x9.5 rears that still have the old TPMS inside (will want those removed)...so I might also need new valve stems I'm guessing. I got the price shipped on the tires so trying to get an approximate total now. Thanks
A reasonable tire store should not charge over $25.00 each tire that should include metal valve stems and balancing.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Prices can vary a lot. I get mine done at a place in Brentwood for $11/wheel mounted and balanced. I don't think that includes the stem so maybe another $2.

Find a locally owned shop and talk directly with the owner. Let him know you likely will bring him repeat business (your own and referrals of your friends). Often times the owner will be looking for that kind of customer and will work with you.

It's worth a quick peek in the shop to see how they do business with the cars that are already there. Might help you make your decision beyond just price.

Good luck.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotica
Prices can vary a lot. I get mine done at a place in Brentwood for $11/wheel mounted and balanced. I don't think that includes the stem so maybe another $2.

Find a locally owned shop and talk directly with the owner. Let him know you likely will bring him repeat business (your own and referrals of your friends). Often times the owner will be looking for that kind of customer and will work with you.

It's worth a quick peek in the shop to see how they do business with the cars that are already there. Might help you make your decision beyond just price.

Good luck.
You'll probably pay anywhere from $15 to $40 per wheel for mount & balance depending on where you go. If you're bringing them wheels and they don't have to take them off the car and take up lift space with a car, you may be able to talk them into the lower end of that range.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:57 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

For 2 wheels it's about $40 for regular balance......$100-120 for Road Force balance
Old 06-28-2011, 02:13 PM
FastGhost
Burning Brakes

I had my DRs mounted, balanced and rubber steems on a set of wagon wheels, cost me $15 a wheel. That was at a mom and pop tire shop.
If they are only for the track and on some cheap wheels any tire mounting place can do it for cheap.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ant - let me know when you plan to hit the track. I wouldn't mind going too
Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I thought some folks don't balance their drag tires/wheels since they are easily thrown out of balance when the tire spins/squirms on the wheel. Don't know if that would be a problem with "stock" type power.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 PM
AntsSilverC5
Racer

I'm running FI, and aiming to get my Monster stage 3 installed hopefully by the end of July. Will this affect the need for/type of balancing?

Terrance- PM me your number and I'll text you next time we hit up Sac.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother with balancing them. Its useless when you are drag racing them, they will just spin on the rims and you will lose your balance anyways.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:50 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Drag radials are usually run at around 16-23psi. That is usually enough pressure to keep them from spinning on the rim. It is the drag slicks with 6psi or so that need to be screwed onto the wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance tires?

Quick Reply: Anyone know about how much it costs to mount/balance tires?