Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Default Texans travelling to San Francisco and would like advice

Hello! My wife and I and another couple are going to take a little vacation and go to the Don Henley concert in Saratoga on 9/21. We don't know the area and would love advice on where to stay and go, and more importantly where not to go!

We will fly into San Francisco about 5 days before the concert and want to stay at a Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express (prefer Holiday Inn over H. I. Express). I have enough points to stay free for several days. We want to see the sites in SF (any advice on what sites we should see?). Any advice on what part of town to stay in or avoid. What about Fisherman's Wharf?

We would stay in the SF area for about 2 nights and then relocate towards Saratoga in time for the concert. We want to tour wine country and a few vineyards in the days preceeding the concert. Again - any advice on winery tours?

Any help would be much appreciated !!

Last edited by need-for-speed; 07-26-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Hello! My wife and I and another couple are going to take a little vacation and go to the Don Henley concert in Saratoga on 9/21. We don't know the area and would love advice on where to stay and go, and more importantly where not to go!

We will fly into San Francisco about 5 days before the concert and want to stay at a Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express (prefer Holiday Inn over H. I. Express). I have enough points to stay free for several days. We want to see the sites in SF (any advice on what sites we should see?). Any advice on what part of town to stay in or avoid. What about Fisherman's Wharf?

We would stay in the SF area for about 2 nights and then relocate towards Saratoga in time for the concert. We want to tour wine country and a few vineyards in the days preceeding the concert. Again - any advice on winery tours?

Any help would be much appreciated !!
Boy, you're trying to squeeze in a lot! If you stay around the Fisherman's Wharf area, you'll be close to a lot of tourist stops: Golden Gate Bridge, Marina Green, Alcatraz/ferry tours, North Beach, Broadway, Ferry Building, Coit Tower, Chinatown, cable cars, Crookedest street (Lombard St.), Pier 39, and of course, the Fisherman's Wharf area. Further out are Golden Gate Park, Cliff House/Pacific Ocean area, Twin Peaks, Haight-Ashbury, Union Street shopping, Union Square shopping, downtown shopping, and lots of other stops you'll find in any decent tourbook (like from AAA).

Renting a car is ok, and except for commute hours, traffic is actually not bad weekdays. Be prepared to pay for metered parking or expensive parking lots. You can get around on public transportation, but it involves a bit of waiting, depending on where you want to go.

Wineries are 30-60 miles north of San Francisco, but since I'm not a wine drinker, you'll have to get advice from other forum members.

Bring some warm clothes...weather can get foggy and cool, especially if you take the bay tours or take a ferry to Alcatraz.

If you're really adventurous, you can take a helicopter that flies (but does not land) over Alcatraz.

Have fun!
Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Boy, you're trying to squeeze in a lot! If you stay around the Fisherman's Wharf area, you'll be close to a lot of tourist stops: Golden Gate Bridge, Marina Green, Alcatraz/ferry tours, North Beach, Broadway, Ferry Building, Coit Tower, Chinatown, cable cars, Crookedest street (Lombard St.), Pier 39, and of course, the Fisherman's Wharf area. Further out are Golden Gate Park, Cliff House/Pacific Ocean area, Twin Peaks, Haight-Ashbury, Union Street shopping, Union Square shopping, downtown shopping, and lots of other stops you'll find in any decent tourbook (like from AAA).

Renting a car is ok, and except for commute hours, traffic is actually not bad weekdays. Be prepared to pay for metered parking or expensive parking lots. You can get around on public transportation, but it involves a bit of waiting, depending on where you want to go.

Wineries are 30-60 miles north of San Francisco, but since I'm not a wine drinker, you'll have to get advice from other forum members.

Bring some warm clothes...weather can get foggy and cool, especially if you take the bay tours or take a ferry to Alcatraz.

If you're really adventurous, you can take a helicopter that flies (but does not land) over Alcatraz.

Have fun!
Harry, thanks for all of the great info! I appreciate your detailed response with all of those locations you listed. Sounds like we'll get our money's worth. We'll be sure to bring some warm clothes. Cool weather would be a welcome change.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I just got back from a few days at the holiday inn express at fisher mans warf. Nice hotel, area is fine. Again bring warm clothes and take a trolly car tour. You will see a lot of the town in a few hours and learn some great history.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:10 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Domaine Chandon winery tour in Yountville followed by a meal at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena. They charge you for the tour but you can get quite a few drinks!
http://www.chandon.com/the-winery/tours.html
http://www.ciachef.edu/visitors/gs/
Old 07-27-2011, 12:15 AM
bdog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am definitely a fan of the Holiday inn located in Pacifica. I have a ton of points so i usually get get the room with a hot tub and an ocean view! Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

If you have time take a walk along the Embarcadero water front from Fisherman's Wharf to AT&T Park. You can always just walk one way and there are numerous ways to get back.

A good way to see the SF Bay water front.

I will mention that San Francisco is a walking city so bring comfy shoes and the weather can change in a instant.

I would not rent a car if you are going to stay in the City. Not needed and parking is a major hassle/expense. Anyway public transportation gives you a better perspective. Some come and are shocked by SF's liberalness.
It is truly a magnificent City.

Maybe do the city then rent the car for your out of town excursions.

When driving down to Saratoga be sure to take the 280 freeway as opposed to the 101 all the way down. Much prettier ride. Geez for that matter if you have the time and being from Texas I recommended you take the Coastal route Hwy. 1. I'd start from SF going through Pacifica and down to Hwy. 84 from there you can cut back east and pick up hwy. 35 at Sky Londa and head south to Hwy. 9 and take it into Saratoga. This route would take longer but you would see our magnificent coast line for a while as well as a route over the Coastal Range. Hwy. 35 takes you along the ridge of the range with views of the greater mid and south Bay Area. This last drive would take a couple of hours without stops. otherwise 280 is only a hour down to Saratoga. Look a a Bay Area map and check out the route I suggested. Lots of beautiful country to see with the coastal towns and mountains.

If I can be of any specific help let me know. I was born and raised here and drove truck locally for almost 35 years.

This drive comes highly recommended.

Last edited by Boomer111; 07-27-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Be sure to check out the Corvette Spectacular Car show in Los Altos on the 21st. Largest Corvette show in northern California, and not too far from Saratoga. There's a thread about it on this page of this forum section.

That's a beautiful concert venue you're going to. Have a fun, safe trip.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Default Lots of great wineries in the Saratoga area!

You don't need to go to Napa to visit the wineries! The Santa Cruz Mountain appellation is its equal in wine, without the traffic, crowds, and pretentiousness! There are wineries literally right next to the venue you will be at to see Don Henley ( The Mountain Winery).

Check out www.SCMVA.com for detailed info.

Some of my personal favorites close by are:
Cooper - Garrod
Savannah - Chanelle
David Bruce
Byington
Black Ridge
Ridge
and, if you want to take a day trip over the hill to the Santa Cruz area, there are many more including my personal favorite - Bargetto!

I was at the Mountain Winery last Friday 7/22 to see Chris Issak. It's a beautiful facility - you're gonna LOVE it! PM me if you want more info; I'll give you my cell # and we can talk!

Best wishes for a great trip!
Glenn
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 PM
env00
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sidney004
The Domaine Chandon winery tour in Yountville followed by a meal at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena. They charge you for the tour but you can get quite a few drinks!
http://www.chandon.com/the-winery/tours.html
Its a long drive from SF (even longer if you are coming from Saratoga (South Bay) so this would be a nice place to have lunch/break....been there a couple of times.

I'm not much of a wine drinker either but I do like the Zinfandel at V. Sattui. Its a very popular place and a cool place to un-wind (bring a blanket). Link below.

http://www.vsattui.com/Shop/Red-Wines/Zinfandel

Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Thank You so much my Corvette brethren !! This is more info than I had hoped for! So much great info. Thanks again !!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:14 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by 54greg
I just got back from a few days at the holiday inn express at fisher mans warf. Nice hotel, area is fine. Again bring warm clothes and take a trolly car tour. You will see a lot of the town in a few hours and learn some great history.
You read my mind. I told the wife I wanted to find some sort of tour where we could see a lot of SF history / city in one venue! Thanks.

We will only be in SF for 3 days before heading toward wine country and need to maximaze our tour time. Will look for trolly car tours.

Last edited by need-for-speed; 07-27-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Sidney004
The Domaine Chandon winery tour in Yountville followed by a meal at the Culinary Institute of America in St. Helena. They charge you for the tour but you can get quite a few drinks!http://www.chandon.com/the-winery/tours.html
I like the way you think :
Old 07-27-2011, 10:15 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by bdog
I am definitely a fan of the Holiday inn located in Pacifica. I have a ton of points so i usually get get the room with a hot tub and an ocean view! Just a thought.
Will definitey take a look at that H.I.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:18 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Boomer111
If you have time take a walk along the Embarcadero water front from Fisherman's Wharf to AT&T Park. You can always just walk one way and there are numerous ways to get back.

A good way to see the SF Bay water front.

I will mention that San Francisco is a walking city so bring comfy shoes and the weather can change in a instant.

I would not rent a car if you are going to stay in the City. Not needed and parking is a major hassle/expense. Anyway public transportation gives you a better perspective. Some come and are shocked by SF's liberalness.
It is truly a magnificent City.

Maybe do the city then rent the car for your out of town excursions.

When driving down to Saratoga be sure to take the 280 freeway as opposed to the 101 all the way down. Much prettier ride. Geez for that matter if you have the time and being from Texas I recommended you take the Coastal route Hwy. 1. I'd start from SF going through Pacifica and down to Hwy. 84 from there you can cut back east and pick up hwy. 35 at Sky Londa and head south to Hwy. 9 and take it into Saratoga. This route would take longer but you would see our magnificent coast line for a while as well as a route over the Coastal Range. Hwy. 35 takes you along the ridge of the range with views of the greater mid and south Bay Area. This last drive would take a couple of hours without stops. otherwise 280 is only a hour down to Saratoga. Look a a Bay Area map and check out the route I suggested. Lots of beautiful country to see with the coastal towns and mountains.

If I can be of any specific help let me know. I was born and raised here and drove truck locally for almost 35 years.

This drive comes highly recommended.
Thanks Boomer. We were talking about this very approach - not renting a car until day 3 or 4 when we move from SF to the wine country. I'd say there's a 95% chance we will take your route out of the city. Thanks so much for that info. We probably would not have taken that route otherwise
Old 07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Be sure to check out the Corvette Spectacular Car show in Los Altos on the 21st. Largest Corvette show in northern California, and not too far from Saratoga. There's a thread about it on this page of this forum section.

Good to know !! We just rolled the dice
Old 07-27-2011, 10:21 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
You don't need to go to Napa to visit the wineries! The Santa Cruz Mountain appellation is its equal in wine, without the traffic, crowds, and pretentiousness! There are wineries literally right next to the venue you will be at to see Don Henley ( The Mountain Winery).

Check out www.SCMVA.com for detailed info.

Some of my personal favorites close by are:
Cooper - Garrod
Savannah - Chanelle
David Bruce
Byington
Black Ridge
Ridge
and, if you want to take a day trip over the hill to the Santa Cruz area, there are many more including my personal favorite - Bargetto!

I was at the Mountain Winery last Friday 7/22 to see Chris Issak. It's a beautiful facility - you're gonna LOVE it! PM me if you want more info; I'll give you my cell # and we can talk!

Best wishes for a great trip!
Glenn
Thanks for the tips tux ! Will save your info for "pm-ing" when we get there

Get notified of new replies

To Texans travelling to San Francisco and would like advice

Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Thanks for the tips tux ! Will save your info for "pm-ing" when we get there
Hey "speed" -

One additional thought - if you haven't already made dinner reservations before the concert, I'd recommend you check out the Mountain Winery itself. www.mountainwinery.com Click on pre concert dining options and then Chateau Deck. It's a little pricey at $57.00 per person, plus drinks, tip, etc., but the food is great, the setting and view above the valley is world class, and you'll be having dinner there in a relaxed atmosphere instead of rushing to make the show after dinner from somewhere else. I live only 7 miles away, and it's what I do 3 or 4 times a season!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:00 PM
ncred02
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im here now from NC. Staying in santa clara for a few then the marriot at fish warf. Def bring some warm clothes. Ill post from the marriot FW when I get there. BTW this city is awesome, pricey but awesome
Old 07-28-2011, 03:32 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?

Quick Reply: Texans travelling to San Francisco and would like advice