Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:34 PM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by Paul 68
Yep did alot for the Raiders and the NFL.

He changed the landscape of what pro football is today.

"Pride And Poise."

His players loved him as he always had an open door policy to all of them.

He was ahead of his time, a true icon.

I've been a fan since the inception of the team and will continue to remain a lotal and rabid Raider fan.

G-D bless you Mr. Davis.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey jay

He changed the landscape of what pro football is today.

"Pride And Poise."

His players loved him as he always had an open door policy to all of them.

He was ahead of his time, a true icon.

I've been a fan since the inception of the team and will continue to remain a lotal and rabid Raider fan.

G-D bless you Mr. Davis.

Totally agree. We were season ticket holders from the time they were at Youel Field until they moved to LA. Have been and will always be a Raider fan. Al was one of the driving forces behind the merger of the NFL and the AFL and forgot more about football than a lot of these new owners will ever know. The fans and the game will miss him
Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Al Davis

Yeah he changed the NFL. Hope the Raiders can go out and get a win tomorrow at the Texans for Al. Go Raiders.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:19 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah he changed the NFL. Hope the Raiders can go out and get a win tomorrow at the Texans for Al. Go Raiders.
I was working outside thinking about how it just wouldn't be the same without Al. He made some mistakes over the past decade, but he was still the person you thought of when you talked about the Raiders. I didn't like the matchup tomorrow, but just called a friend and had him place a small bet for me on them tomorrow. It just won't be the same.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

RIP, Mr. Al Davis!

I went to a Raiders/Rams game in the early 70's as a Rams fan and left the game as a Raiders fan. I've been one ever since and will remain one!

Al has made some questionable picks over the years and I've spent a lot of time screaming at the TV over all the penalties that we pick up every season, but there is no denying his love for the game and his love and loyalty to his players, past and present.

Many teams and many players have benefited from his going toe to toe with the NFL over the years. I hope this is what he is remembered for and not the sometimes horrible draft picks he made.

Just Win, Baby!
Old 10-09-2011, 03:53 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
I was working outside thinking about how it just wouldn't be the same without Al. He made some mistakes over the past decade, but he was still the person you thought of when you talked about the Raiders. I didn't like the matchup tomorrow, but just called a friend and had him place a small bet for me on them tomorrow. It just won't be the same.
Yea, I picked the Raiders to lose this game early in the year when looking at the schedule. Defense need to stop the run, if they don't have some success stopping the run tomorrow I think they won't have a chance. Maybe Al death will boost the team to a win. Sad day for Raiders Nation, but hope the franchise can get back on a winning track and not be a laughing stock like they been these last eight years. GO RAIDERS.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Raiders Win!!!!!

Raiders win in a nail biter. Look like they lose in the final second like the Buffalo game, but they held on and won 25-20. Go Raiders.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 AM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Win Streak

Raiders need to get on a win streak, not this win one week lose the next. The next three games our at home, this is a good time to start. Go Raiders. RIP AL Davis
Old 10-10-2011, 01:43 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RIP Al. Glad we managed to get a win for you yesterday (and thanks to Schaub for not giving the endzone rush a go)

Bresnahan needs to go. A little worried that we are going to see 8 man boxes the rest of the year as teams dare Campbell to beat them.

You will be missed, let's hope his son doesn't do anything crazy with his controlling interest. I don't want to see them in LA again ....

Fej
Old 10-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fej
RIP Al. Glad we managed to get a win for you yesterday (and thanks to Schaub for not giving the endzone rush a go)

Bresnahan needs to go. A little worried that we are going to see 8 man boxes the rest of the year as teams dare Campbell to beat them.

You will be missed, let's hope his son doesn't do anything crazy with his controlling interest. I don't want to see them in LA again ....

Fej

Yep, need to keep the team here, in Oakland for sure.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Quarterback

The Raiders had to lose there starting quarterback, now where in trouble. The Raiders where playing good football so far, not saying we where superbowl bound, but thinking we could have been above 500 this season and contend for the AFC West. Now where stuck with Boller and no back up. Well that the Raiders luck. I like Hue Jackson as our coach see what he can do to keep us from going in the tank.

Last edited by Paul 68; 10-17-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Palmer. Let's see if he can bring his level of play back to when he was younger to the Raiders and resurrect another career that ends with a SB win.

Fej
Old 10-18-2011, 10:16 PM
vince48
Advanced

Originally Posted by fej
Palmer. Let's see if he can bring his level of play back to when he was younger to the Raiders and resurrect another career that ends with a SB win.

Fej
this is not a good trade. this is a deperate move by Hue. Three factors that are negitive. 1. Palmer has not played in over a year. He is not in football shape. He could have been throwing 1000 ***** aday, but he has not timing with the receivers. 2. Raider OL is not very good, they are getting better, but unless you are a mobile QB you are going to get killed. Palmer is a pocket passer. 3. the season is almost 1/2 over, what possible good can someone who has to get up to speed with the playbook and team who has been out of football over a year, how effective can they be?
Say good bye to Jason, his Raider days are done now. Unless I made a trade for a proven starter, who is palying right now, I'm not trading for Palmer. I will take my chances with Boller and look for a quality backup and let the dice roll.
just my $.02
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Quarterback

I feel sorry for Jason Campbell, he was playing good, not like the team is Super Bowl bound so why waste draft picks for the next 2 years? The Raiders are my boys, so I hope everything works out but I don't know big risk. Now that Carson here Campbell is gone he was only sign threw this year. Hue work with Carson at USC and Cincy so he know him pretty good, just hope he still has good arm strength. Well only time will tell. GO Raiders.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

I feel sorry for Jason Campbell, he was playing good, not like the team is Super Bowl bound so why waste draft picks for the next 2 years? The Raiders are my boys, so I hope everything works out but I don't know big risk. Now that Carson here Campbell is gone he was only sign threw this year. Hue work with Carson at USC and Cincy so he know him pretty good, just hope he still has good arm strength. Well only time will tell. GO Raiders.

I don't agree that Campbell was playing good...he just wasn't playing that bad. His QB rating is only in the 80s because he hasn't thrown a whole lot of *****, and the TD/IC ratio isn't that great. Boller is not that good but at least he knows his plays.

Moving on. I remember when Rich Gannon came to Oakland after being a back up QB to Elvis Grbac at KC. I was excited to get him because it seemed like I watched him own the Raiders everytime he was playing QB for KC.

Carson Palmer has a history with the Coarch going back to College. Carson Palmer had a great season two years ago passing before T.O. joined Cincy and ruined the relationship (as T.O. did with every team) between Ocho Cinco (another idiot) and Carson Palmer, whereas the previous year they were on fire.

I have watched every interview that I have seen on T.V. and both Coach and Carson acknowledge that he has been out for a while and is rusty and needs to learn the play calling. Nevertheless, Campbell was not the QB (Boller certainly not) answer for the Raiders to anything more than hopefully make an appearance in the Playoffs which would be due more to Special Teams and the running game.

Palmer I think has something to prove like Rich Gannon did when he finally got a starting job with the Raiders. I expect it to take a couple of games to get him up to speed...maybe even the season. But Palmer has the ability to be a Premier QB again in the League if he wants to, he has the talent that Campbell, Boller, and Pryer, never will.

I am excited to get him as a QB as once he get's established the Raiders will have both a run and pass attack like they did from 99-2002.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
I don't agree that Campbell was playing good...he just wasn't playing that bad. His QB rating is only in the 80s because he hasn't thrown a whole lot of *****, and the TD/IC ratio isn't that great. Boller is not that good but at least he knows his plays.

Moving on. I remember when Rich Gannon came to Oakland after being a back up QB to Elvis Grbac at KC. I was excited to get him because it seemed like I watched him own the Raiders everytime he was playing QB for KC.

Carson Palmer has a history with the Coarch going back to College. Carson Palmer had a great season two years ago passing before T.O. joined Cincy and ruined the relationship (as T.O. did with every team) between Ocho Cinco (another idiot) and Carson Palmer, whereas the previous year they were on fire.

I have watched every interview that I have seen on T.V. and both Coach and Carson acknowledge that he has been out for a while and is rusty and needs to learn the play calling. Nevertheless, Campbell was not the QB (Boller certainly not) answer for the Raiders to anything more than hopefully make an appearance in the Playoffs which would be due more to Special Teams and the running game.

Palmer I think has something to prove like Rich Gannon did when he finally got a starting job with the Raiders. I expect it to take a couple of games to get him up to speed...maybe even the season. But Palmer has the ability to be a Premier QB again in the League if he wants to, he has the talent that Campbell, Boller, and Pryer, never will.

I am excited to get him as a QB as once he get's established the Raiders will have both a run and pass attack like they did from 99-2002.

I agree with that, but where not going anywhere this year, and Campbell manage the game for us and was playing decent, better than last year. Will soon find out if he worth the draft picks. If Carson got his arm strength back, then yes he will be awesome for the future. Not sure what he gonna do for us right now, going to take sometime. I wouldn't play him this weekend. Will see what happen, hope everything works out for the team.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:08 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

It's hard for me to think that a former number 1 pick and heisman winner who was a top 5-8 QB in the league for half of his seasons or more could not figure out a way to manage the game pretty quickly to at least an equal level with Campbell. Campbell was never a QB 1, or top 12 guy in any of his seasons in the league, Palmer was. Especially when you consider our running game, and DMC can catch screens out of the backfield, so that will help a ton.

Granted, he hasn't been hit in over a year. And throwing routes to former third tier WR's in the league under zero pressure helps a little, but just like every other time it happens, when you get hit in the mouth, things change and it takes getting used to.

But its not this guys first rodeo. And at the end of the day, with our drafting track record, if he gets us a couple of playoff wins or into the SB, it was a hell of a pickup. If he doesn't, we lose a 1st and a 2nd, which of late hasn't meant **** to us anyway unfortunately.

The thing that sucks to me, is the guys that can play in the secondary are ALWAYS 1st or 2nd round picks. We have been running with 3rds and 4ths for years and that is the weak point of our defense IMO. That might hurt us in the long run. Way too many penalties and 8-12 yard slants given up every week, especially on 3rd downs. With Al looking down now, maybe we will start drafting better FOOTBALL players, instead of ATHLETES that can't really play.

Fej

Get notified of new replies

To Oakland Raiders

Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Default Raiders vs. Chiefs

Boller to start Sunday against Chiefs. I think that the smart move, start Carson after the bye.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:01 PM
vince48
Advanced

Boller to start Sunday against Chiefs. I think that the smart move, start Carson after the bye.
Raiders, listen. Palmer is a pocket passer, with no legs at this point. He is not in "football" condition yet. He does not have the timing with his new line and receivers. The best thing Hue can do for his investment in Palmer is to do not play him until the Raiders are out of contention. Next year makes more sense then making a knee jerk move now because you traded for him. Next season makes more sense. Remember, the Raiders have no high round (1-4) draft choices next year, so drafting a OL stud is out of the question. Trading is out of the question, unless all those no names receivers go crazy. Ford is a keeper. Derek Hagan and Denarius Moore are keepers. Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy and Darrius Heyward-Bey are goners! None of them are worth a trade due to their injury or year after year performance.
My point is it is, the current Raiders OL line is average in run game, but poor and inconsistent in the passing game at best, even with a mobile QB, which Palmer is not, he will not be effective in going vertical! Come to your own conclusion.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:54 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by vince48
Raiders, listen. Palmer is a pocket passer, with no legs at this point. He is not in "football" condition yet. He does not have the timing with his new line and receivers. The best thing Hue can do for his investment in Palmer is to do not play him until the Raiders are out of contention. Next year makes more sense then making a knee jerk move now because you traded for him. Next season makes more sense. Remember, the Raiders have no high round (1-4) draft choices next year, so drafting a OL stud is out of the question. Trading is out of the question, unless all those no names receivers go crazy. Ford is a keeper. Derek Hagan and Denarius Moore are keepers. Chaz Schilens, Louis Murphy and Darrius Heyward-Bey are goners! None of them are worth a trade due to their injury or year after year performance.
My point is it is, the current Raiders OL line is average in run game, but poor and inconsistent in the passing game at best, even with a mobile QB, which Palmer is not, he will not be effective in going vertical! Come to your own conclusion.
My conclusion is for you to be quiet.

Palmer was fine until T.O. showed up to Cincy and ruined the team and the team got rid of Cedric Benson. Rich Gannon showed up and would run out of the pocket at first, but then became very much a pocket short passer.
I would rather let Palmer get established this year and the Raiders not make it to the playoffs, then continue to grow Campbell, Pryor, or Boller...all incapable in a division with Philip Rivers, and a Tim Tebow preparing to launch his QB career. I think it would be better to give Palmer this year to settle in, so that next year they can trade at least one of these back up QBs for a lineman or DB. Campbell has had ok pass protection..obviously not as good as it would be with a Lincoln Kennedy or Robert Gallery type, but he hasn't been sacked like was getting sacked last year.

Hopefully get an ugly win this Sunday with the run game and special teams..hell even Lechler threw a TD, and move into the next week for the Bi-week and let him get to the books and learn the plays and maybe run a few laps to condition his couch potato ****.

I guess in the end I agree with you..so I will be quiet. But I am trying to remain optimistic.

Quick Reply: Oakland Raiders