Northern California Northern California

Audio Installation- Good Shop? Member want to do installation?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Audio Installation- Good Shop? Member want to do installation?

Looking to upgrade the stock stereo to a double din Navigation unit, add a stealth subwoofer, add a 5 channel amp, and replace the stock speakers.

Something like this, with the Pioneer NAV unit:
Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Here is a package for you
single din
1- Kenwood KDC-HD548U
1- Arc Audio XXD 6009 components
1- ARC Audio XXD 5029 or 6029
1- Stealth mount Powerbass 10" sub box combo
1- Rockford Fosgate R600 5 channel amp
1- GM harness
1- Antenna adapter
1- metra dash kit 1.5 to 1.0 din
1- 4 gauge amp kit
2- pair rca cables
1- Kenwood ip101 ipod cable
1- 30ft speaker wire
1- c5 door adapter plates
shipping
total shipped 824.99

Change the Kenwood hd 548u to a Pioneer x930bt double din and send in your bezel for 600.00 more

The catch is I have some health issues that keep me from doing the installation myself. So I am either looking for a member on these forums who would want to do this installation and be paid for it, or for a suggestion for a good shop. I have no idea if local shops have the skills to modify a bezel to fit right or what.

I am on disability, so i need to do this on a budget if possible. So what are people's suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

I might be willing to do this for you. send me a PM. Have Dennis modify the bezel and the rest is simply time.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Teddys your man for this...
Old 11-29-2011, 12:06 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Thanks... I am simply tossing the idea around. With my tranny in the shop I dont have any current projects so I might just knock this out. I dont know I think I have about 10 of your guys cars around here under my belt along with about 5 different setups in my own C5's. HAHA Hell my Z has 13 speakers in it now and I want more.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

I had an iPod adaptor put in my car. After searching around the internet and talking to friends I chose Custom Audio in Mountain View which gets very high Yelp ratings. I was impressed with the quality of their work and reasonable prices.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Alan is correct. I also have heard good things about this place. What you want is a installer familiar with our cars. Since you are revamping the WHOLE system, doors will need to be rewired and I would toss the amp behind the pass seat. Drop the 10" in the rear cubby and tune. I would save my cash if you dont care about video. double din is cool but drives up the price. I think I have a 10" box at home and know I have a brand new Arc Audio 600.5 amp. Hell the dash kit and harnesses as well I am sure of it. More I think about it I know there is a new set of 6.5" boston's and a new 10" Rockford Fosgate P3 10" in my cabinet as well. HAHAHA Yeah I like to buy car audio and just store the crap.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

damn teddy - i may need to take a drive out there for some "sound" modifications on my Z
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Just tell me what you need and heck I can just take care of it at GDP one night. I do have a bunch of new car audio I bought for a project that never took off including a $900 Arc Audio amp.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:15 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I may be interested in the 6.5 ..... LOL Could use new kick panel speaker....
Old 11-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Sending you a PM now.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Denny79
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may talk to Simplicity in Sound. He has done amazing audio projects on Corvettes and other cars and is local.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

"Custom Car Alarm" contra costa blvd, pleasant hill, i see them do exotics all the time lambos ect, and yes vettes, brand new bmws mbz, i have not ever herd one bad thing about them the 10 years i have lived down the street from them.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

I met with Jim lee at All Pro Audio yesterday, and I plan to go see Custom Audio tomorrow and see what they have to say. I think my first choice is to work with Dennis and Teddy, but I am still waiting to hear back from Teddy. '

I know I went by Custom Audio 2-3 years ago to get an alarm quote, and I left unimpressed. I know they do work with a lot of high end exotic cars, so maybe doing the alarm wasn't exciting enough for them...or I caught the wrong sales person. Hopefully I will like them more tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

They by all means arnt cheap, in fact I wouldn't buy the product from them? I would go to a discount store like "gm electronics" on monument blvd in concord( but don't let them touch ur car) and bring it to customcar alarm together it installed. For example they quoted me 60 to install a double din and hook it up to the factory Bose without any issues.

You'll pay more labor with them but they do an excellent job
Old 12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ltrain925
They by all means arnt cheap, in fact I wouldn't buy the product from them? I would go to a discount store like "gm electronics" on monument blvd in concord( but don't let them touch ur car) and bring it to customcar alarm together it installed. For example they quoted me 60 to install a double din and hook it up to the factory Bose without any issues.

You'll pay more labor with them but they do an excellent job
I will try it both ways. I will see what they will quote me to install Dennis' system as well as see what they would quote me for a complete system. I am still fine tuning the quote from All Pro via e-mail this morning. I hoping to get the parts for around $1,500 and then they are talking about $550 to install it all including modifying the bezel and bondo-ing it to form.

I would definitely prefer to support Dennis since he is a forum member, but I also need to figure out a way to do that and get a good installation done. My assumption is that most shops will rape you on installation prices if you just show up with all the components in boxes, but I guess I could be wrong on that. Maybe in today's internet world, that is far more common.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 PM
Ltrain925
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grimlock
I will try it both ways. I will see what they will quote me to install Dennis' system as well as see what they would quote me for a complete system. I am still fine tuning the quote from All Pro via e-mail this morning. I hoping to get the parts for around $1,500 and then they are talking about $550 to install it all including modifying the bezel and bondo-ing it to form.

I would definitely prefer to support Dennis since he is a forum member, but I also need to figure out a way to do that and get a good installation done. My assumption is that most shops will rape you on installation prices if you just show up with all the components in boxes, but I guess I could be wrong on that. Maybe in today's internet world, that is far more common.
i agree with helping a forum member out wasn't aware of that, but i would go and get a price of products and install and ask them if they give any better deals because your buying a whole package and getting it installed. Most likely they will say no and thats when you bring your stuff and they previously quoted you the labor price before. but yes they will most likely rape you if you don't word it correctly just like buying a car.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:51 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Sorry Bill I did reply to you just now but we can go over it all here so others can also consider. First and foremost good idea on changing out the head unit. The Kenwood is a nice unit, but Nav is awesome. I am not a fan of Pioneer but it’s only because I have always used Kenwood and Alpine. I would not let anyone else mod a bezel other then Dennis. He has done a bunch and has it down to a science. This is a piece you look at everyday so esthetics is mandatory. Doing the install is not all that bad but you certainly have to know what you are doing. These cars are plastic so knowing where to ground and where NOT to screw off is nessasary. With gas tanks on both the left and right side of the car I have seen way to many installs inadvertently screw into a tank and let’s just "that’s bad" HAHA Here is my thoughts on equipment.

Deck- Key component. This bad boy is the brains of your install and can make or break you. The Pioneer is a nice Piece.

Amplifier- I don’t like the RF choice you have. While it is cheap ($200ish all day) this bad boy provides your speakers with all the power and well I am not a fan. If you are going to do an all in one I would recommend the Arc Audio 600.5 or the JL Audio 600.5

Front speakers- Nice choice. Not really pricey and a known brand for quality. The list goes on here but I love components up front. You could be open to JL, Infinity, Boston, rainbow, etc...

Rear speakers- Here you don’t need anything overwhelming. Your front stage should provide the bulk of your listening but the rear fill TO ME is just as important. A true audiophile would likely ditch the rear but I like the sound quality of a rear fill. You will be running the 5029's (FRC/Z06/Vert use a 5.25" and the coupe uses a 6.5".

Acc- the rest id fine. I would spent on quality RCA's. You will need 3 pair. You can ditch the metra kit since you are going with a DD. And I would like to know what sub you are getting. Knowing your listening desire you will want something punchy and not looking for the BOOM.

1- Kenwood KDC-HD548U
1- GM harness
1- Antenna adapter
1- 4 gauge amp kit
2- pair rca cables
1- 30ft speaker wire
1- C5 door adapter plates

Get notified of new replies

To Audio Installation- Good Shop? Member want to do installation?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:39 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by teddyca
Sorry Bill I did reply to you just now but we can go over it all here so others can also consider. First and foremost good idea on changing out the head unit. The Kenwood is a nice unit, but Nav is awesome. I am not a fan of Pioneer but it’s only because I have always used Kenwood and Alpine. I would not let anyone else mod a bezel other then Dennis. He has done a bunch and has it down to a science. This is a piece you look at everyday so esthetics is mandatory. Doing the install is not all that bad but you certainly have to know what you are doing. These cars are plastic so knowing where to ground and where NOT to screw off is nessasary. With gas tanks on both the left and right side of the car I have seen way to many installs inadvertently screw into a tank and let’s just "that’s bad" HAHA Here is my thoughts on equipment.

Deck- Key component. This bad boy is the brains of your install and can make or break you. The Pioneer is a nice Piece.

Amplifier- I don’t like the RF choice you have. While it is cheap ($200ish all day) this bad boy provides your speakers with all the power and well I am not a fan. If you are going to do an all in one I would recommend the Arc Audio 600.5 or the JL Audio 600.5

Front speakers- Nice choice. Not really pricey and a known brand for quality. The list goes on here but I love components up front. You could be open to JL, Infinity, Boston, rainbow, etc...

Rear speakers- Here you don’t need anything overwhelming. Your front stage should provide the bulk of your listening but the rear fill TO ME is just as important. A true audiophile would likely ditch the rear but I like the sound quality of a rear fill. You will be running the 5029's (FRC/Z06/Vert use a 5.25" and the coupe uses a 6.5".

Acc- the rest id fine. I would spent on quality RCA's. You will need 3 pair. You can ditch the metra kit since you are going with a DD. And I would like to know what sub you are getting. Knowing your listening desire you will want something punchy and not looking for the BOOM.

1- Kenwood KDC-HD548U
1- GM harness
1- Antenna adapter
1- 4 gauge amp kit
2- pair rca cables
1- 30ft speaker wire
1- C5 door adapter plates

I PMed you the quote from All Pro Audio to see what you think. I think we are looking at slightly better components, but with a slightly higher price. I think I definitely want that Pioneer head unit. I want to do this with Nav and a double-din. I really don't like the look of the flip up head units.

From what I've read, the Alpine MRX-V60 AMP gets really good reviews. People say it is under powered if you are going with subs bigger than 8 or 10", but I'm not.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:14 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

I like the new equipment better. I think thats a fair deal.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99C5Alan
I had an iPod adaptor put in my car. After searching around the internet and talking to friends I chose Custom Audio in Mountain View which gets very high Yelp ratings. I was impressed with the quality of their work and reasonable prices.
My memory on these guys was accurate. Avoid this shop. Very expensive and they don't want to work on Vettes. They want $799 for the Pioneer head unit + $150 to install it, while All Pro Audio in Santa Clara sells the same unit for $640 installed. So Custom Audio is over $310 extra and they don't like to work on Vettes. The cheapest 5 channel amp they offer is $550+, etc. In other words, if you own a Vette don't even waste you time talking to these guys. There is a reason they are sitting with an open bay doing no work!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio Installation- Good Shop? Member want to do installation?