Northern California Northern California

Thunderhill 5 Mile Course

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 11:52 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RMDZidane
I only took a parade lap on the west course just after it was paved, but my immediate reaction was that I didn't think I'd have as much burning desire to get down to Buttonwillow so much because this course was so great in such a similar way. I'm looking forward to getting some laps there in the near future. I can't wait to see some 'redtopz' vids to show what warpspeed looks like back there
Buttonwillow just got completely repaved! And it's a lot faster track than this 2 mile. I really like Buttonwillow, always have. But I agree with you that this new section at T-hill adds a new technical dimension that was missing with the 3 mile section. Nasa will be running the 5 mile track at the end of August and I plan to be there.

Originally Posted by skxf430
Redtopz,

I was there that day too and pretty much just wanted to stay out of your way the entire day. It was a bit of a bummer with a red flag and a black flag the first 2 sessions but I guess some guys were a little too excited.

The new course was certainly a lot of fun and technical, and a big departure from the old course. Not too sure how you guys are going to pass during a race unless guys are dive bombing, but it should be entertaining.

With a clear track and more time, you will be below a 3:15.
Dude, you should come over and say hi. I'm easy to find with the race car and trailer. I'm sure passing opportunities will show up as we learn the track, and many of them will be from capitalizing on others' mistakes. Thanks, I hope to run a 3:15 next time there. I was kind in hpde mode that day learning the track.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:16 AM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Dude, you should come over and say hi. I'm easy to find with the race car and trailer. I'm sure passing opportunities will show up as we learn the track, and many of them will be from capitalizing on others' mistakes. Thanks, I hope to run a 3:15 next time there. I was kind in hpde mode that day learning the track.
I walked over but you had just ridden off on your bike.

I was chasing your friend in the red C5 with wing. It looked like a really nice setup he had on that car.

Hopefully, organizers will continue to run the entire course. It was really a good time.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Looking forward to trying out the 5miler.

Looks like a closed off backroad but with everyone going in the same direction (hopefully)
Old 07-14-2014, 01:45 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

I walked over but you had just ridden off on your bike.

I was chasing your friend in the red C5 with wing. It looked like a really nice setup he had on that car.

Hopefully, organizers will continue to run the entire course. It was really a good time.
Oh OK, maybe next time. I just met that guy at the track and found out he's in the process of trying to join nasa/scca for some racing. He's a nice guy but he's having trouble getting the car dialed in. I gave him some tips on suspension and tires and he should be faster next time out. His car will be ST1 with nasa with the current engine and I don't know where it would fit in with scca. The car and engine look very well built and he also happens to be a farmer like me .

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Looking forward to trying out the 5miler.

Looks like a closed off backroad but with everyone going in the same direction (hopefully)
You will love the track Robert. It's a real driver's track and the nice thing about 5 miles is it spreads all the cars out so it feels like you have more open track.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM
l8te apx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 Miles at Thunderhill on July 25 with

Hooked on Driving...if you want to focus on the new track HOD will be there the day before on the 24th doing just the West track. If you are doing the drive...do both days.

HOD just put over 450 miles on their Corvettes at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana. The cars preformed perfectly. The high banks are a blast. Join us at Thunderhill on the 25th and drive one yourself.

www.hookedondriving.com
Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

redtopz,

I just looked at some of my video, and your right rear brake light is out. Better get it fixed before the next tech inspection.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:54 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

redtopz,

I just looked at some of my video, and your right rear brake light is out. Better get it fixed before the next tech inspection.
Thanks for the heads up. It's been out since last year at nationals when I hit the wall. One light is all I need to pass tech.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:45 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Bumping up an old thread. I'm at Thunderhill this weekend for the SCCA Majors and we are racing the 3 mile Sat and the 5 mile Sunday. We are running the Eagles Nest and the bypass on the West side. Anyone have an y lap times on the new bypass section? How much time does it cut off compared to running through the tight turns? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:49 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Bumping up an old thread. I'm at Thunderhill this weekend for the SCCA Majors and we are racing the 3 mile Sat and the 5 mile Sunday. We are running the Eagles Nest and the bypass on the West side. Anyone have an y lap times on the new bypass section? How much time does it cut off compared to running through the tight turns? Thanks.
Check with Richie.. If im not mistaken that's what they ran last weekend...
The following users liked this post:
redtopz (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 10:57 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Anything 3:00 or less is moving right along. I was out there last weekend in the 2015 Z06 on worn out R7's and managed a handful of 3:05 laps when I could get a clean one. I think the yellow car would be in the 2:57-2:58 range (still without aero), possibly faster.

I drove Ron's orange carbon Z06 last year and managed a 2:59 only driving 85%. I'm guessing you will be in the ~2:55 range

Most of the 991 GT3's that I've ran with are in the 3:08-3:10 range with decent drivers. I have yet to see one that could keep up with even the white car, let alone the yellow one

Last edited by RichieRichZ06; 04-07-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:04 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Thanks Rich that gives me a good idea of where I should be.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:35 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

I did 3 practice sessions today on the 5 mile. Got down to a 2:57 if you don't count the 1+ sec I lost in traffic. Fun course, the new bypass makes the west side much better. I hope I can get down to 2:55 or faster with fresh tires, but it's supposed to rain this weekend so probably not. My GT2 car is about 4 mph slower on the straights than my C6z. Man that LS7 pulls hard in the c6z.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I did 3 practice sessions today on the 5 mile. Got down to a 2:57 if you don't count the 1+ sec I lost in traffic. Fun course, the new bypass makes the west side much better. I hope I can get down to 2:55 or faster with fresh tires, but it's supposed to rain this weekend so probably not. My GT2 car is about 4 mph slower on the straights than my C6z. Man that LS7 pulls hard in the c6z.
I knew you would get close to that 2:55 and I'm sure that you can get there with fresh tires. I love the west side with the bypass also.

I bet the cornering speeds in the GT2 car are significantly faster than the C6Z can muster, but the LS7 will make up for some of it down the straights.

What speeds were you seeing down the straight?
Old 04-08-2016, 06:09 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Oh yeah, the GT2 car handles way better. The C6Z has something weird going on with the rear suspension geometry or something. Or mine isn't setup right. My top speed in GT2 was 140 mph vs. 144 in the C6Z. And I'm entering the straight much faster in the GT2 car so the difference is even greater. But we are rules limited in GT2 and even LS7 cars have to run a restrictor plate.

If I can run like today on the 5 mile I should easily be under 2:55. I ran 2.4 sec faster than my previous PB on the 3 mile today with a 1:48.8 over the eagle's nest. Pole position for the GT2 race tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh yeah, the GT2 car handles way better. The C6Z has something weird going on with the rear suspension geometry or something. Or mine isn't setup right. My top speed in GT2 was 140 mph vs. 144 in the C6Z. And I'm entering the straight much faster in the GT2 car so the difference is even greater. But we are rules limited in GT2 and even LS7 cars have to run a restrictor plate.

If I can run like today on the 5 mile I should easily be under 2:55. I ran 2.4 sec faster than my previous PB on the 3 mile today with a 1:48.8 over the eagle's nest. Pole position for the GT2 race tomorrow.
Good luck!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:41 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

wow Bill. that's so fast over the top! crazy. Looking forward to the videos and kick some *** this weekend.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:57 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. Rich was right on with his estimate of 2:55. I think that's what I should be running or faster once I get better on the West side. I got down to a 2:56 but I'm leaving time on the table and the track was a little cold and damp. Love that 5 mile, but it would be even better running both bypasses IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Thunderhill 5 Mile Course

Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 PM
JRL
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats Bill on 2 "Major" victories!

What happened to the Porsche on Sunday, did contact cause the cut tire?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:02 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Flying as always Bill! I did laugh at the short shift out of 11 on the 3mil config

What's the different between your car now being a dedicated GT2 car vs when you were also doing ST2 in NASA?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:45 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. John I don't know what cause the cup car Pirelli tire to fail. Either a defective tire or he hit a curb the wrong way. It was a new tire. Sucks because it was going to be a heck of a race. That cup car won the Runoffs at Daytona last year in GT2 and was going to place 2nd at LS behind Aquilante until it had a mechanical.

I need to update my race report tonight with all the details while they are fresh in my mind. But there's really not much difference between GT2 and ST2 in my car. Basically 40 more hp in GT2 which doesn't make too much difference. Aero is limited in GT2 to a wing below the roof line and in front of the rear bumper and a 2" splitter. But that's basically what I was running in ST2 so no big deal. I should be able to turn a 1:46 on the Nasa config in ST2 also. I'm only going about 4 mph faster down the front straight in GT2.

The T1 miata was trapping 4 mph faster than my GT2 car at Thunderhill and he said the T1 viper is faster than his miata. Rules are screwed up for corvettes in T1.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill 5 Mile Course