Northern California Northern California

Review of GP Tuning: A+ Quality & Great work

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Review of GP Tuning: A+ Quality & Great work

when I was looking for reviews on GP tuning and Matt I didn't find much on these internets so thought I'd put this out there for anyone else doing research:

JRG racing just put my procharged c6 back together after another corvette shop in san jose nuked my previous new MTI forged 402ci motor with their horrific mess of a tune and ~25* of timing on pump gas.... I have now had tunes done by literally every LS specialty shop in norcal over the past 10 years and a whole host of different setups and I was not super impressed with any of them. So I wanted to give a new tuner a shot and I heard Matt at GP tuning was doing lots of the big HP builds these days.

I can say without any doubt that Matt and GP is the single best tuner I have ever worked with by a mile.

for me, none of us get into this game to save money and we do it because it's fun. shops and tuners that provide horrible, offensive customer service or do a terrible job on work that you have to redo later just takes the fun out of this great hobby. Despite my endless questions on a pretty complex build that had a lot of issues, Matt hands down has the best customer service of any tuner I've dealt with, and that is top priority for me.

He answered lots of questions for me about the tune and setup, was very up front on scheduling, fair on pricing, clearly knows his stuff and will help explain to you what is going on with your car from a tuning perspective and his tune on my car is beyond impressive even though my car had a few little issues.

WOT is typically not the hard part for a tuner but needless to say my car made great power for the setup. But even more impressive, despite now at 800whp my car runs wayyyy smoother than my old ~440whp N/A C5 did with another local big name shop's tune on it, even though I had to bring that C5 back two additional times for them to fix things in the tune and my C6 is a much much crazier setup. It is amazing how streetable the daily driving street manners on this C6 are now with Matt's tune and it really shows that Matt spent some real time street tuning and logging this thing to get all the little stuff worked out properly.

the shop that previously did my last tune didn't street tune it at all and it showed when I drove the car with bucking, worse idle, rough low rpm manners, etc. I have to say that any shop which doesn't street tune your car for at least an hour or so is not a shop you should work with.

Anyway, can't say enough good things about Matt and GP tuning. If anyone out there is looking for a tuner, feel free to PM me on here and I am happy to vouch.

Great guy, great tune and great service.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:19 PM
Spider Vette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Matt is a Great guy!! He tuned my C5 & will be doing my Grand sport once I'm done modding. Josh at JRG Motorsports is the only place I take any of my Vettes.... Locally he is the best around. I know Abel does great as well but he is in Hayward & Easy to get too. They have a Nice team going....
Old 09-01-2015, 09:27 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Matt did a great job on my tune after JRG installed the new cam in my C6. What amazes me most is that he always answers my dumb questions the same day that I send him the emailed questions. I also asked him for a slight modification to my A6 tranny tune and he emailed that to me via HP Tuners the next day. That is awesome service.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:22 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Does GP tuning have a physical location? All I can find through a search is a phone number.
Same for JRG motorsports.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:31 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Spider Vette
Matt is a Great guy!! He tuned my C5 & will be doing my Grand sport once I'm done modding. Josh at JRG Motorsports is the only place I take any of my Vettes.... Locally he is the best around. I know Abel does great as well but he is in Hayward & Easy to get too. They have a Nice team going....
yeah, Josh and Adam are great guys for sure. I've had pretty mixed experiences with many other shops and used to do 100% of my own work out of frustration but personal job for me is just overwhelming right now so I'm really happy to have found some good guys to work with on my car.

Last edited by neverstop; 05-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:33 AM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by trackboss
Does GP tuning have a physical location? All I can find through a search is a phone number.
Matt typically works out of a couple locations I believe. I'd call him up and discuss if you have questions. I've found anyone good in this game is usually busy and Matt is no exception so if you need a tune I'd be sure to book it pretty far in advance also. It is well worth the wait though to get your car running 100% with a good tune as the tune determines almost everything about how reliable and how well the car drives.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:04 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Thanks for the review. Best contact is gpxtuning@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2015, 01:47 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

I have many emails between Matt and I about performance part upgrade. He's very knowledgeable and fast to reply each time.

I can't say enough good things about him.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:20 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Both Josh and Matt are a huge asset to this hobby of ours
Old 09-04-2015, 12:48 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Matt has the best customer service and always answers any questions I have.
Originally Posted by trackboss
JRG is off American Ave in hayward
Old 09-08-2015, 03:03 PM
GoFast908Z
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Matt's customer service is totally ABOVE AND BEYOND. A rare thing in this business. He tuned my Z after Josh put my heads and cam in. Matt even spec'd out the custom cam...it was for someone else but he never used it and it was exactly what I was looking for, so couldn't have been more perfect. My car drives stock but has the extra power whenever I want. I've known Matt for a long time now and he's a great guy to deal with.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:17 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default This is Great to hear!

I am glad that Josh found a good tuner to work with...
Old 09-12-2015, 01:21 AM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by neverstop
corvette shop in san jose nuked my previous new MTI forged 402ci motor with their horrific mess of a tune and ~25* of timing on pump gas....
So who Nuked your car?
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 08-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Frank Stuart
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had bad experience

I had Josh and Adam install my LS3 and the 2000 C5 Matt did the Street Tuned and the thing ran great excellent gas mileage but everything was a little too expensive taking advantage of an older guy that was just getting in the game but now I know from this last year and a half that newtech performance is the place to go and also Edwin Chavez is is another tuner that does good work but for Corvette I recommend Nick very highly at new tech he's right next door to Josh's shop or Matt works out of and he's got a Dyno right there because I saw him put it in the ground it was above ground but now it's in ground and I've seen Nick's work he's great at what he does especially on Corvette s
Old 08-26-2017, 09:35 PM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

josh and matt have my z06 right now.. as my car is going to be tuned by matt Monday. he does email within minutes of questions that you ask. I think he answered about 30 emails for me as I went through this is my first experience with a z06 and engine work. hes great. and josh knocked out my head and cam job in like 24 hours. unfortunately now, I decided to just put headers on after I said I didn't want them. and josh and matt are going to accommodate it for me. they are good people.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 PM
jpandes
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Matt @ GPTuning Rocks!

I would just like to chime in here. I recently had the pleasure of working with Matt (GPTuning) on both of my cars (see sig). Matt completely retuned my H/C C5Z06. I have had it for years, but the tune was never right. I had two local shops tune the car prior. Neither shop could or would put in the effort to tune it beyond WOT. Drivability was Shitty.

Matt and Josh fixed it and it finally runs great on the street and at WOT. 458whp/405ftlbs.

I had such a great hassle free experience working with Matt, I called him to help me bump up the power on my CTS-V Wagon. Matt put together a solid stage 1 package (2.55" upper pulley, E85 flex fuel sensor, ID 1050cc injectors, 160 T-stat, intake and Hx). Matt scheduled the install at JRG and dyno tuned it. Everything was done in 2-3 days. My wagon pulls like a freight train now, compared to my Z06. It makes 580whp/575ftlbs. The car drives, sounds and smells just like stock - until I step on it😀 The car should still be able to pass smog. When I get used to this power level, I'll be calling Matt for the next round of mods(Cam, Headers etc.).

Matt knows his stuff and is great to work with. The only negative thing that I can think of is that you may have to wait a while to get an appointment. The good ones are usually pretty busy.
The following users liked this post:
lt1z (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 PM
BodaciousBlue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also had the pleasure working with Matt and Josh. They know their stuff. My vette was done over a year ago and still running strong as ever. Thanks
The following users liked this post:
lt1z (08-30-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Review of GP Tuning: A+ Quality & Great work

Quick Reply: Review of GP Tuning: A+ Quality & Great work