Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 06:00 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts

Default Just Looking For Some Ideas and Suggestions

Road Trip!

The first thing we did after buying our new '07 Coupe was to load the car up with enough clothes and toothbrushes to take a road trip without a schedule - well, other than the pressure of the $16 daily boarding fee on our cat.

We just started driving south down the Oregon Coast (Hwy 101) and then cutting over to the Pacific Coast Hwy (1) from the redwoods to Fort Bragg and on to SFO.

It was a fun trip, but I admit that not being familiar with places to stay or to eat or visit, it was pretty much a crap shoot the rest of the trip - until we got to Reno.

Fort Bragg seems to be a popular stop judging from all the motels and things, but while I have no complaints at picking out a Best Western, can't help but feel we missed something that might have been even better.

San Francisco was even more challenging. It's popular enough to know what we wanted to see (for the most part) but trying to figure out where to stay was not easy. I finally figured that if we drove south on 101 we could find a place in someplace like Sunnyvale or some nearby community and ride the BART into the city.

We stayd at the Embassy Suites, rode their shuttle to the airport and picked up the BART from there. We visited a few places places in The City then decided to have a lunch or early dinner in Chinatown. Man, was that a challenge. There is no shortage of places to eat in Chinatown, but how do you pick something good yet not a tourist hangout?

Not sure where we're going from SFO, but we do have some friends in Monterey we haven't seen for a few years and know that area - at least as far as Big Sur very well.

After that it's undecided, but we can worry about that later. Just looking for some tips and idea for the Northern California part of the trip. I figured asking the local residents who know how to travel in a Corvette might have some ideas.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2015, 08:57 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by last901
Road Trip!

The first thing we did after buying our new '07 Coupe was to load the car up with enough clothes and toothbrushes to take a road trip without a schedule - well, other than the pressure of the $16 daily boarding fee on our cat.

We just started driving south down the Oregon Coast (Hwy 101) and then cutting over to the Pacific Coast Hwy (1) from the redwoods to Fort Bragg and on to SFO.

It was a fun trip, but I admit that not being familiar with places to stay or to eat or visit, it was pretty much a crap shoot the rest of the trip - until we got to Reno.

Fort Bragg seems to be a popular stop judging from all the motels and things, but while I have no complaints at picking out a Best Western, can't help but feel we missed something that might have been even better.

San Francisco was even more challenging. It's popular enough to know what we wanted to see (for the most part) but trying to figure out where to stay was not easy. I finally figured that if we drove south on 101 we could find a place in someplace like Sunnyvale or some nearby community and ride the BART into the city.

We stayd at the Embassy Suites, rode their shuttle to the airport and picked up the BART from there. We visited a few places places in The City then decided to have a lunch or early dinner in Chinatown. Man, was that a challenge. There is no shortage of places to eat in Chinatown, but how do you pick something good yet not a tourist hangout?

Not sure where we're going from SFO, but we do have some friends in Monterey we haven't seen for a few years and know that area - at least as far as Big Sur very well.

After that it's undecided, but we can worry about that later. Just looking for some tips and idea for the Northern California part of the trip. I figured asking the local residents who know how to travel in a Corvette might have some ideas.

Thanks
Post over in the Northern California section of the Forum. There's lots of people over there always willing to give good advice.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:17 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Post over in the Northern California section of the Forum. There's lots of people over there always willing to give good advice.
I thought this was the NorCal forum?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:36 AM
PacificaVette
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Road Trip

From San Francisco, drive Highway 1 down the coast to Monterrey and Big Sur. Take a detour through the Santa Cruz mountains by using CA 84 and CA 35. Lots of nice twisties.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 AM
SPEEDEMON
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

From the coast head east towards the Sierra over to Yosemite, from there go over the Sierras over towards Mammoth Lakes area. From there head down to Vegas, from Vegas over to Utah and see Zion, Bryce Canyon Nation parks, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. Someone can help you take it from there.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:00 PM
Nimrod
Le Mans Master

Location: Willow Glen, California.........................."But... Chunks is our dog!"
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

If you've never been to Yosemite, go there. Everyone should experience it at least once in their life.
Hearst Castle in San Simeon is a pretty cool place to see, as well.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:34 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Right you are. My mistake.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Supperman
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trippin

Sounds like a very nice trip. I live in N Cal and you can call if you wish. 707-975-9882
Big Sur
Hwy 1 from half moon Bay South
Hwy 17 from San jose to Santa Cruz
Hwy 25 from Hollister to King City
Carmel Valley road from Carmel to Greenfield
Skyline hwy

Those are some ideas

Road Trip!

Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM
last901
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Some great ideas here. Thanks. Some of these I've already done, but I had never throught of some of the routes suggested. We thought we would go to Monterey as has been suggested, but I didn't even think of getting there by way of Santa Cruz.

The Yosemite idea is great. Always wanted to go there. Don't know why it didn't occur to me this time.

San Francisco seems to be the most problematic. Last time we stayed out near the airport and took the BART into town. Worked out pretty well, but once on foot in the city, we realized we didn't do much planning. My wife wants to eat in Chinatown, but we had no reference or guides as to which place to choose. Maybe I should check trip advisor.

I'm glad I started this thread. Thanks
Old 09-09-2015, 08:31 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

If you limit yourself to Chinatown you are missing out on a lot of other good restaurants in SF.

Generally if you consult Yelp, you'll get a good indication of the better places to dine in the city.

Having said that, as long as you stick to the restaurants in the heart of Chinatown (Kearney, Grant and Stockton streets between Broadway and Sacramento) you really can't go wrong. You will find three general types of places to eat: greasy spoons where locals go, trendier places where young hipsters go, and older, grander restaurants where locals go on special occasions. You can find tourists in the last two types as well. Yelp is your friend.

As long as you are there, you may want to consider North Beach, which is a few blocks away. There you will find a traditional Italian neighborhood lately transformed into nouveau Italian, with the emphasis on sidewalk dining and upscale mixed with traditional cuisine.......the place to see and be seen. Columbus Avenue between Union and Vallejo Streets. If you have not been there, be sure to check out St. Peter and Paul church on the next block (you can't miss the tallest structure in North Beach).

And as long as you are there, check out Beach Blanket Babylon, a totally irreverent, but highly entertaining show.

Grab a AAA Tour Guidebook on SF and they will list restaurants, hotels, and attractions galore (and provide a rating/review).
Old 09-10-2015, 12:25 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

I have a million of them.
Yosemite - Day 1 -Go in Hwy 140, gas up in Mariposa, then had up to Glacier Point, enjoy the views and very short walks to the edge. Leave Glacier Point and head to the Valley. There are no waterfalls, but in it's own right the Valley is pretty spectacular. Going during the week is better, although the crowds are really down this year. If you can snag a room at the Lodge, or a cabin in Curry Village go for it. Steer clear of the Tent Cabins they can be pretty noisy. Food is mediocre with the exception of the Awhanee, but you must dress. But in the Village there is a decent place.
If you don't snag a spot in the Valley, then go back out to Mariposa, lots of rooms and choices of food. Charles Street has an interesting ambiance and excellent food.
Day 2 - Head up Hwy 120 to Tioga Pass. It is an almost nice drive in a forest. The scenery does not get great until you get past Porcupine Flat/North Dome hike. If you are willing too do short hikes, The May Lake trail is good, 1 mile uphill, but not bad until you are near the top. The road to the parking lot is pretty funky and potholy, but I have taken my Vettes up and down many times. It is a classic lake view with a huge mountain in the background. Very scenic. Continue up to Tioga Pass, stopping at Olmsted Point, Lake Tenaya, and Toulumne Meadows. Head out of the park and cruise down Lee Vining canyon. Stop along the way for views of the canyon. The right side wall if the canyon is a glacial moraine(Stuff left behind by the glaciers) and is pretty amazing in it's own right. Food in Lee Vining is Ok, pick your poison.
Go south on Highway 395 to OLD Highway 120, on the left hand side of the road. Careful, it is an easy intersection to miss. Head out old Hwy 120 and you will be traveling across the high desert with dead volcanoes in the beginning and have a very cool ride through a couple of ghost towns into Benton. Take Hwy 6 into Bishop. Big town lots of hotels and food that caters to everyone.
Day 3 or 4 Head south on 395 to hwy 178 to Bakersfield
If you are looking for a windy,twisty route and slower, the take 9 mile Canyon Rd aka J41, right on 107 to Hwy 190, and back into civilization. Driving times depend on you, how fast and how long you are driving for the day.

Still feeling adventurous, out of Bakersfield hop on 58 through Buttonwillow. into McKittrick. Follow 58 into the California Valley and the worlds largest solar farms(Ruined a perfectly good valley) The Carrizo Plain is an interesting spot, but much better in March or April when we have had rain and everything is green. Take 58 to 101 North.
Or divert to the right and take La Panza Rd into Paso Robles.
This route takes in some gorgeous country, but is a pantload of driving.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

If you go in Mid October, take my rip to Yosemite, stay in Lee Vining, and go north on 395 to Conway Summit and go left at Virginia Lakes RD. You will see some spectacular Fall color along the way. Come back out, go south and turn right up the Lundy Canyon Road. Once again there should be good Fall color.
Head south to June Lake, enjoying the color along 395, and head into June Lake. The color gets a bit spotty the further south you go but Mammoth and Convict Lake can be pretty spectacular.
Follow this site for udates - Fall Colors in Mono County
The following users liked this post:
UncleFodder (09-12-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Just Looking For Some Ideas and Suggestions

Quick Reply: Just Looking For Some Ideas and Suggestions