Northern California Northern California

Does anyone else struggle with the Family and Corvette balance in life???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:21 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Does anyone else struggle with the Family and Corvette balance in life???

This has been a struggle for me since my very first Corvette 15 years ago. Always something fun happening with Corvette owners yet I have a family duty that somehow takes precedence. Perfect example is my current situation. I have never been on a George and friends Rainbow run. This is a gathering I have always wanted to take part in. Well was discussing with the wife yesterday. I know my 12 year old had a baseball tournament that weekend but Sat is just seeding so I figured I would sacrifice one day of games for my own self. No problem. Well as we discussed it my wife says "Well I didn't tell you yet but Teddy has prom pictures that day as well". She tried to convince me it would be o.k. to miss this event but NO WAY. There will be another Rainbow Run there will never be another prom for my son. It always seems to be something and it gets frustrating but I make my choices as a father and have not yet regretted any of them. I just wonder if others are in the same dilemma as me. Damn I wanted to go on that run to LOL
Old 03-23-2016, 10:44 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You are doing the right thing Ted. There will always be more runs, but watching the kids as they are in special events is a once in a life time thing. Enjoy your kids while you can, before long they will be older, they will have moved out and you will have plenty of time for your own events.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 PM
DUMAN
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I totally get it Teddy my twins are 6 and my princess will be 3 in April. I wasn't going to go but my wife talked me in to it but I will be coming back ASAP or a little early. don't know what time pictures are but I would bounce with you early so we can both get home. lol
Old 03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Always. Life is busy so I just do what I can when I have an opening.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:47 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

exactly why i like cars and coffee early saturday morning, can sneak away and get back before family gets going
Old 03-23-2016, 01:54 PM
kevinj0101
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a balance that can be hard to find, personally I have found most my enjoyment comes from my wife and two girls. When I get my time, which you really just have to make time for and not feel guilty, it makes your hobbies so much more enjoyable. Unfortunately for my vette, its third in line behind the motocross and mountain bike. But that's just me, track days with the vette take up more time and $$, and I can fulfill my competitive bug cheaper and quicker the first two ways. There is nothing like a drive in the car though.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Not just you bro. I really only schedule vette stuff with the wife so we can both feel guilty about ditching the kids. Lol

And it's not just the vette , when I go dirt bike riding with the guys that's when the guilt really sets in.

I'm pretty sure that just life. I was just about to hit you up about the rainbow run
Old 03-24-2016, 12:11 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Life gets in the way for everyone, been in Corvettes for 15 years as well and except for Tracking a C5, after the kid was out of college, all the rest of the stuff will just have to wait for a bit longer. Enjoy what have at the moment.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:48 AM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Not since I got rid of the Corvette.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:34 AM
mjg1200
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a 22 and 17 yr old and time really does go by fast enjoy your time with them while you can because before you know it there moving out. Family is always first.
The following users liked this post:
xlr8rvette (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:50 PM
xlr8rvette
Drifting

Location: Fayetteville Arkansas recently moved from Oakland Ca
Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

My first Vette was a 61. Next was a 66 Then I got married and spent 30 years with the family. No vettes. Kids gone...next vettes were 91,96,01, 05 and now 06.

You have a lot of time. Make the most of it and enjoy !
Old 03-25-2016, 11:05 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Corvette Vs Family.............Family what's that? oh wait are you talking about the people that live in the same house as me :p

Seriously though ya it is difficult to balance sometimes!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:01 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

What a great bunch of replies. As I expected everyone would support family. I am going to look into picture time and I might take you up on the opportunity Duman. I might take you up on it. Luke I will call you next week we will get something going. More importantly. Corvette family HAPPY EASTER.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:50 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

HAPPY EASTER
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
.....my wife says "Well I didn't tell you yet but Teddy has prom pictures that day as well".
Sounds like you need to work on your family communication skills.

Prom pictures don't just "pop up" on the calendar. The date, photographers, locations, etc are factored into the backwards planning process well in advance of the Prom itself, which happens to come EVERY YEAR (like Christmas and your birthday), so there should be no surprise there. They may even have alternate dates for photos you are unaware of that could have been de-conflicted so you could do both events.

Good luck and I suggest you drop your events on a Calendar and "lock 'em in". If anything pops up AFTER you make plans, perhaps a hard lesson learned is what some people need these days. Remember that old saying "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

While I understand unforeseen emergencies, "I forgot to tell you" for something as "important" as Prom photos is just unacceptible.

Just saying. And yes, I am in the minority in this thread and I take a different stand because how the hell can you plan ANYTHING when your adult wife forgets such important events and your "Teddy" simply failed to share the happiness and details for the Prom photos day with you or if your presence is even appreciated.

ps.....I bet they don't forget their cell phones.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Sportsman2003
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like there are a lot of corvettes in the area that need to be driven!
I am single with no children and have plenty of time to do what I want.
If you guys need someone to ( walk the dog so to speak) let me know! LOL!!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Sounds like you need to work on your family communication skills.

Prom pictures don't just "pop up" on the calendar. The date, photographers, locations, etc are factored into the backwards planning process well in advance of the Prom itself, which happens to come EVERY YEAR (like Christmas and your birthday), so there should be no surprise there. They may even have alternate dates for photos you are unaware of that could have been de-conflicted so you could do both events.

Good luck and I suggest you drop your events on a Calendar and "lock 'em in". If anything pops up AFTER you make plans, perhaps a hard lesson learned is what some people need these days. Remember that old saying "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."

While I understand unforeseen emergencies, "I forgot to tell you" for something as "important" as Prom photos is just unacceptible.

Just saying. And yes, I am in the minority in this thread and I take a different stand because how the hell can you plan ANYTHING when your adult wife forgets such important events and your "Teddy" simply failed to share the happiness and details for the Prom photos day with you or if your presence is even appreciated.

ps.....I bet they don't forget their cell phones.

This is a joke right?

If not you must not have kids. I forget half the sh*t I'm doing or need to do on a daily basis let alone remember all my kids stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone else struggle with the Family and Corvette balance in life???

Old 03-28-2016, 05:07 PM
wolf10851
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportsman2003
Sounds like there are a lot of corvettes in the area that need to be driven!
I am single with no children and have plenty of time to do what I want.
If you guys need someone to ( walk the dog so to speak) let me know! LOL!!!!
mine gets driven every day
Old 03-28-2016, 06:01 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 97C5driver
This is a joke right?

If not you must not have kids. I forget half the sh*t I'm doing or need to do on a daily basis let alone remember all my kids stuff.
LOL **** made me laugh. Spent 5 minutes to long giving a f@ck about my communication skills I give free hugs. HAHAHA
Old 03-28-2016, 07:04 PM
jhong321
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Teddy
Long time no see, I have been there done that and doing it all over again with a 2 year old girl and one on the way. Plus a 16 year old son.
In the past I have made it point to have Family first and to be involved in their lives but with that said they should also be involved in yours. One of the fondest memories from my son was the times we had Father son days going out to the Corvette cruises and he still remembers these days when he was 3 years old. For the Rainbow run coming up he will be with me as my copilot and next year I will be bringing my little girl. and so on. Hope to see you soon bro
The following users liked this post:
vetterdstr (04-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Does anyone else struggle with the Family and Corvette balance in life???