Northern California Northern California

Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM
gr86ss
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 97 Posts

This is Awesome! Thanks everyone that's organizing! I'll be there for sure!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Let's say we go for a day in July. That should be enough time to set it up. Either the 17th - 24th - 31st.

I'll ask Georgia.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:00 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
Let's say we go for a day in July. That should be enough time to set it up. Either the 17th - 24th - 31st.

I'll ask Georgia.
Hi Chuck. Good to hear from you. Looking at the Sonoma drag schedule, there is a Wednesday night date scheduled for July 12, then it starts getting busy. There are no further Wednesday night events scheduled for the rest of the month. The Sivision 7 races are July 21-23, the NHRA Nationals July 28-30. Sounds like July 12 would be the date in July to shoot for. July 4th has a bracket drag race. There is a Wednesday night on the books for July 5 but many might be hung over from the July 4 weekend. Willie
Old 05-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Willie. I'll ask for the July 12th date.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Willie. I'll ask for the July 12th date.

July 12th is a go.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Look what happens when I am away from the Corvette forum a week or so then Chuck pops in securing a Wednesday night Corvette race at Sonoma

First of all, I think we need a sign up sheet as to how many cars will be racing? The reason is we may have to make some changes to our lane assignments so that we can insure a smooth running event.
One thing about racing on Wednesday nights, the safety rules for 2008 and newer Corvettes will allow you to run as quick as 10 flat without a roll cage providing it is the way it rolled off of the assembly line and no after market engine add on's . However, convertibles tops are restricted to nothing quicker than 13.50 seconds.
All drivers running quicker than 11.50 seconds will be required to wear a SFI approved racing jacket.
Helmets required in all vehicles 13.99 seconds and quicker. Helmet must meet NHRA approved SNELL rating and must have required label on the inside of the helmet. SNELL 2010 good until 1-1-2022. SNELL 2015 good until 2027

Just wanted everyone to know in advance so that there are no surprises.

Beginning next Wednesday night, May 10, I will start making pre race promotion announcements for this event over the PA which by the way is linked in to our live internet feed on www.1320go.com/sonoma
Air time starts around 4 PM depending on what time the driving school is off of the track.
Sunocco Race gas is available at the track both leaded and unleaded with different octane ratings.
I will check with Georgia to see what we can do for a few trophies for you. Perhaps my fellow announcer Garry Carlson can come up with one of his custom built trophy's for the evenings big winner in addition to the one that the track may be giving. I will know more about this soon.

Since this topic began with the sad ending of the Vette Magic race in Sacramento, perhaps Chuck who put this together (round of applause please for our leader) could start a new topic which would include a sign up sheet?

I am really looking forward to this, might even drag my C4 out and have someone else drive it just so I can say I helped to support it.
I feel this race has some great potential. The only way we will find out is by the number of cars that show up? The largest turn out for our previous Corvette night was something like 52, that number could be in jeopardy if it goes the way I think it will?
Jim McCombe
Sonoma Raceway announcing staff

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 05-08-2017 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (05-08-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:04 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Chuck. Like I said. If I can help let me know. I can flood corvettesyndicate site and our Facebook page I'm sure we'll have a ton of cars interested.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Chuck. Like I said. If I can help let me know. I can flood corvettesyndicate site and our Facebook page I'm sure we'll have a ton of cars interested.
Thanks - That would be great.

I just spoke with Jim McCombe and I will be starting a new tread today. On my way up to Able and will ask Rich if he has any good ideas.
Jim McCombe (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 12:16 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Thanks - That would be great.

I just spoke with Jim McCombe and I will be starting a new tread today. On my way up to Able and will ask Rich if he has any good ideas.
Richie isn't in today. He's driving back from Vegas I think.
My DD is headed to Abel this morning say hi to it. Lol

Once you post the new thread. I'll copy it and post it on all our sights and FB.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM
andy82
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

I don't think it has anything to do with making more profit. Serious Car show attendance and interest is going extremely down with all these fun Cars & Coffee events going on.

Track rental and insurance has gone up significantly. This is not the only event that is struggling to make it with only Corvettes. Auto-X events have been opened to non Corvettes for a while now and its really fun to have non-Corvette competition.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:46 AM
Handi
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just updating everyone. Vette Magic is happening this year. We won't be at Sac Raceway, but we have changed the venue to Kingdon Airport (drag strip) in Lodi.

This will be our 42nd running of Vette Magic. Sponsored by the Northern California Corvette Association. As a side note, we just celebrated our 60th anniversary and we are the oldest incorporated Corvette Club in America.

I want to stress we are not endorsing or associated with the event being called Sonoma Magic at the weekly Wednesday night drags in Sonoma. Our club does not endorse this event nor will we promote it. It is not associated with our club.

Kingdon Dragsteip is an airport located off 8 mile road in Lodi, Ca. The airstrip was established in 1942 as a training airfield for WW2 fighter pilots. It is currently a private airport and the owner loves hosting drag races. These ar old fashioned drags. Yes, we will have a timing booth, and yes, it is all good! We will be surrounded by the beautiful vineyards of the Lodi area. It will be fun.

We hope to see all up there at Kingdon on September 10. And I hope to see Willie up there as well! I have gone up against him for King of the hill twice... (He won both times)

I will have a flyer out this week. We are finalizing everything this weekend!

Really hope to see you all at Kingdon in September!

Vette Magic 42! And we do have the Genie.. It's trademarked!

Tim Sullivan
Pres, NCCA. Oldest Corvette Club in America
Old 05-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Handi
Just updating everyone. Vette Magic is happening this year. We won't be at Sac Raceway, but we have changed the venue to Kingdon Airport (drag strip) in Lodi.

This will be our 42nd running of Vette Magic. Sponsored by the Northern California Corvette Association. As a side note, we just celebrated our 60th anniversary and we are the oldest incorporated Corvette Club in America.

I want to stress we are not endorsing or associated with the event being called Sonoma Magic at the weekly Wednesday night drags in Sonoma. Our club does not endorse this event nor will we promote it. It is not associated with our club.

Kingdon Dragsteip is an airport located off 8 mile road in Lodi, Ca. The airstrip was established in 1942 as a training airfield for WW2 fighter pilots. It is currently a private airport and the owner loves hosting drag races. These ar old fashioned drags. Yes, we will have a timing booth, and yes, it is all good! We will be surrounded by the beautiful vineyards of the Lodi area. It will be fun.

We hope to see all up there at Kingdon on September 10. And I hope to see Willie up there as well! I have gone up against him for King of the hill twice... (He won both times)

I will have a flyer out this week. We are finalizing everything this weekend!

Really hope to see you all at Kingdon in September!

Vette Magic 42! And we do have the Genie.. It's trademarked!

Tim Sullivan
Pres, NCCA. Oldest Corvette Club in America

Hey Tim are you serious? Vette Magic at Lodi in September?
Have you ever been to that dragstrip? Oh that's right you are going there today. Just remember when you have to use a real bathroom the closest one is out on Highway 5.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:24 AM
billet racing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sonoma July 12th

Hey Tim are you serious? Vette Magic at Lodi in September?
Have you ever been to that dragstrip? Oh that's right you are going there today. Just remember when you have to use a real bathroom the closest one is out on Highway 5.
I'll bring it up at Diablo Valley Corvettes. Get added to their calendar.
See you there.
Jerry
Old 05-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Jerry;

I should have the flyer ready late tomorrow.
Jim McCombe (05-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Taking the Magic out of Vette Magic?