Northern California Northern California

***Hooked On Corvettes*** HOD/Abel Chevrolet Track Day***

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:56 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by sparkee
What is the appropriate tire pressure for the track? The owners manual says max rating on the tire or 38 PSI whichever is lower. Is air available at the track or do you need to bring your own?
Every tire is going to be slightly different and variables like alignment, driving style and others will play into it.

For a bone stock car on stock run flat tires, a good starting point is usually about 27-30 PSI cold and 34-36 PSI max hot.

Air is typically available at the track.
Old 05-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

As much as I wanted to be there, I couldn't make it. How did it go?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:31 PM
sparkee
Acct suspended by request 30 April 2019

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a great time. It was my first track day. The weather was perfect. There were enough high clouds to keep the temperature comfortable.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:50 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

My first time at Thunderhill and a learning experience. We had one car and two drivers. Lynda went into group A and I challenged group B. As I was sitting in the driver's meeting for groups A & B you could hear group D (Richie's group) on the track screaming by. I was asking myself...are you sure you want to do this.

We had breakfast Thursday morning and met a couple of Corvette owners and two others heading for the track. Turns out one of the men we met was a instructor for HOD. I was in the B group and he recognized me and offered to ride and give me pointers. The first two laps went well. The third lap I started to push it. The problem that I had is that I was using autocross experience to jump into a new experience. My instructor was telling me to brake, brake, brake and what I really needed to hear was "brake in this corner down to 30" or 50 or another number. Instead I just braked and figured I could steer thru the corner. The C6 is a great car, but it can't correct your lack of experience. So I went a little wide on a corner leading into the back straight....went off the main track but saved it. Only to get on the throttle in the straight leading to the "bridge". Went into the corner much too hot and should have been down to 50 MPH and knowing better than to try and crank the wheel and possibly spin out I held the line and drove off the track and cut the grass. The C6 cuts grass very well .

My second session Helen L. jumped in my car giving up her session and walked me thru the session. Great teacher and fantastic lady for helping to train a old guy. After she was done instructing me I didn't have any problems staying on the track. Never passed anyone, but ran much better and in some of my laps hit 99 MPH on the back straight, made the turns into the straight in front and 110 MPH there and braked into the long sweeping turn at 60. Many ran MUCH faster than me. But I can accept that.

Had a great time. Thank ABEL CHEV for their help putting on this event. Thank you Helen for proving AGAIN what a great caring bunch Corvette owners are and sharing their capabilities.

Group picture...another 20++ Vettes were not in this picture.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:03 PM
fuggles
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a great time. This was my first time out in my new-to-me c5z. The car performed very well. Although I lost a rib off the serpentine belt. O'reilly to the rescue. And a rear bearing gave out making a horrible racket. Made it home safe so no biggee.

I ran in C group and for the most part everyone was courteous and track aware. It was fun pointing by the green miata every session. lol. Lots of P-cars. PCA had a get together on Friday. The highlight for me was getting the point-by and driving away from a GTR Nismo and a GT4. hehehe. Driver mods required.

Quick Reply: ***Hooked On Corvettes*** HOD/Abel Chevrolet Track Day***