Northern California Northern California

Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty

So we can have an accurate car count please print, complete and send the flyer back to me @ hvlytxd@msn.com. See you all at "Sonoma Magic"
Change your flier Chuck. Time trials start at 4:00pm, usually earlier. Those that arrive at 5 will probably miss 2 time runs.

Last edited by 383vett; 05-18-2017 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Change your flier Chuck. Time trials start at 4:00pm, usually earlier. Those that arrive at 5 will probably miss 2 time runs.
Another thing I may have missed, Tech is open until 5;30
Elimination rounds 6;30-9 PM
Glad you caught that one Willie!

Looks like we may have 2 lanes for the Corvettes. One for the automatic types and the other for the manual transmission equipped.
Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Last 1 in each class races for the overall Garry Carlson crafted championship trophy"

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 05-19-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett

Thanks - I'll make those changes.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Several participants have asked if we can run a separate class for 2 and 3 pedal cars. Sure - We can do that and even have a "King of the Hill" run off (Oops I'm sure to be in trouble again for being a copycat) Hey McDonald's and Burger King do it all the time so why can't I?
Thanks for spearheading this event Chuck. I will pass the flyer on to several of the guys in our local South Valley Club that don't frequent this forum. I'm sure we will come up with 5-6 cars that will attend this event. Keith
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

It is because of Chuck is why this event is taking place.
Each of us owes him a debt of gratitude for doing the ground work in addition to bringing Able Chevrolet on board to sponsor it.
Thanks to Chuck as well as to Rich Willhoff for making this happen and for all that you are both doing for the Corvette Community
Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM
Keith Richards
Drifting

Received 612 Likes on 361 Posts

Will be interesting to see what the turnout is? Perhaps Charles can post up weekly what he has for a count thus far once that is out a bit. I have been out the last 2 Wednesdays and I would say there is roughly 10 +/- cars out with a pretty even mix of C5,C6 and 7's mostly. Last Wednesday there was a C7 z06 with I believe the 850 Hennessy package that was having a tough time getting off the line. I do plan on trying to make most Wednesdays and may bust out the Challenger if I get energetic and throw the mufflers on it. I spend my time in the Jackpot class if anyone is out and wants to say hello.

Last edited by Keith Richards; 05-19-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Keith,
I forgot to mention that you could get a lot of practice laps in if you want to show up for the drag race Test And Tune Day at Sonoma which is on Saturday, May 27 from 11 AM-4 PM
A few years ago, Brian Kam got 32 runs in with his Camaro which I think may be a track test and tune day record.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Last night in Sonoma at the Wednesday Night drags, I counted some 18 Corvettes that were racing. Many from the South Bay Corvette Club which I believe some members were handing out some of Chuck's fliers for the Sonoma Magic Wednesday night race set for July 12
One thing I did find out was that some of the guys who are racing the stick shift types liked the idea of racing each other with the last car going up against the final car in the automatic transmission equipped for the overall championship trophy.
Soon, chuck will be posting a pre entry list here in the Nor Cal forums
that you will be able to add your name to. keep your eyes open for it!
A big thanks to Chuck as well as Able Chevrolet for setting up this race
From the talk last night in the staging lanes, this is going to be big

Last edited by Jim McCombe; 05-25-2017 at 01:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Boat Racer (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
Last night in Sonoma at the Wednesday Night drags, I counted some 18 Corvettes that were racing. Many from the South Bay Corvette Club which I believe some members were handing out some of Chuck's fliers for the Sonoma Magic Wednesday night race set for July 12
One thing I did find out was that some of the guys who are racing the stick shift types liked the idea of racing each other with the last car going up against the final car in the automatic transmission equipped for the overall championship trophy.
Soon, chuck will be posting a pre entry list here in the Nor Cal forums
that you will be able to add your name to. keep your eyes open for it!
A big thanks to Chuck as well as Able Chevrolet for setting up this race
From the talk last night in the staging lanes, this is going to be big
Jim, We had a great time on Wednesday night at Sonoma Raceway and look forward to seeing the pre-entry list for "Sonoma Magic" so we can add our names to it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the weather is as nice on July 12th as it was at this last event.
Keith Zellmer
South Valley Corvettes
The following users liked this post:
Jim McCombe (05-26-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:26 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Thanks for spearheading this event Chuck. I will pass the flyer on to several of the guys in our local South Valley Club that don't frequent this forum. I'm sure we will come up with 5-6 cars that will attend this event. Keith
Thanks for passing them out.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Jim, We had a great time on Wednesday night at Sonoma Raceway and look forward to seeing the pre-entry list for "Sonoma Magic" so we can add our names to it. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the weather is as nice on July 12th as it was at this last event.
Keith Zellmer
South Valley Corvettes
Hi everyone to date we have 10 entries. I've been a bit under the weather but I will get the list up this weekend. While this might seem a bit low it is still very early and many I have spoken to plan to attend but have not sent in their entry forms. The pre-entry list will definitely help.

Chuck
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM
Jim McCombe
Burning Brakes

Hi everyone to date we have 10 entries. I've been a bit under the weather but I will get the list up this weekend. While this might seem a bit low it is still very early and many I have spoken to plan to attend but have not sent in their entry forms. The pre-entry list will definitely help.

Chuck
Chuck,
When you post the pre entry list, would it be possible to start a new thread so that it would be easier to find besides it would stand out and create a life of it's own?
Hope you are feeling better, I may have a few more names for you to add to your list that did not have access to the pre entry forms that you had made up.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jim McCombe
Chuck,
When you post the pre entry list, would it be possible to start a new thread so that it would be easier to find besides it would stand out and create a life of it's own?
Hope you are feeling better, I may have a few more names for you to add to your list that did not have access to the pre entry forms that you had made up.
Yes I will start the pre-entry list in a separate forum later today.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:13 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Was at the track Sunday and I heard a lot of chatter about the July event.
Tech workers ere talking about it. Heard it over the PA system
A few times.
Should be a good showing

Quick Reply: Sonoma Magic - Wednesday night drags