Northern California Northern California

pipes too loud for Laguna Seca? What have you done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default pipes too loud for Laguna Seca? What have you done?

Nobody wants to prepare for a track day, pay the entry fee and once there, be told your can't run cuz your pipes are too loud. The dB sound level at Laguna Seca is very low at 92 decimals, so you may want know what worked for me. A few years ago, I received the meat ball flag (black with the red circle in the middle) on my first session with a reading of 98 dB’s. This has been exceptionally loud since I had installed C6 ZO6 exhaust manifolds, high flow cats and ZO6 H pipe with OEM NPP mufflers. Fortunately not only had I brought four 90 degree turn downs with me, but as I was installing them I received a suggestion from a track worker on how to direct them. He said to point them at the 10 o’clock position. Great advice as I was about to bounce them off the ground at 7:00. It worked for me the rest of that day! Please note: this may not always work. Many variables come into play on taking sound readings such as: temperature, wind direction, micro climates, etc. Today I was reminded of this as I watched the first few seconds of the following video of GM’s upcoming ZR1 C7 enter the Nurburgring.

Other than lifting between corners 5 and 6, have other drivers found easier and cheaper ways of lowering your sound?

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 05-24-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:38 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

You're saying you'll replace your C6 with a ZR1 C7 if you can quiet it enough for Laguna Seca?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default getting blue waiting for the leaves to change

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
You're saying you'll replace your C6 with a ZR1 C7 if you can quiet it enough for Laguna Seca?
Hi Rhys,

If life could only be that simple. My wife says I'll have to wait until the fall to sell mine before I take this next leap.
dirk

Last edited by Dirk Miller; 05-23-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Hi Rhys,

If life could only be that simple. My wife says I'll have to wait until the fall to sell mine before I take this next leap.
dirk
Our wives must know each other
Old 05-24-2017, 11:55 AM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

I have a C6Z and disconnect the actuator arms on the mufflers. Then wire the baffles closed with 12 gauge copper wire. Once you figure out how to do this, you can do it in about 5 minutes. I can go all out around turn 5 and up the hill without a meatball flag on a 92db day.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:45 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought a LG Motorsports Man **** shifter and rigged it up so I can control the muffler flaps on my c6z. As I downshift going into T5, I switch the valves closed, then open them up as I come into T6. This gets me through 90db days.

I did this after I got the meatball for blowing 92.2 on a 92db day......on a stock c6z.

Last edited by harrydirty; 05-25-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To pipes too loud for Laguna Seca? What have you done?

Quick Reply: pipes too loud for Laguna Seca? What have you done?