Northern California Northern California

With landslide in Big Sur I fear my HW1 dream is all but over

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 10:56 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default With landslide in Big Sur I fear my HW1 dream is all but over

As a kid I always dreamt of having a really cool car and driving Highway 1 from Santa Cruzish to San Luis Obispoish. I never had the exact route figured out but I knew I wanted to start near Santa Cruz/Monterey and end SLO. Now that the kids are older and life is slowing down we planned on making this trip next month. With a new horse on the way (yes wife replaced kids with horse lol) I realize trips like this wont be to easy. Now there are closures in Big Sur and it doesn't look good long term. I am pretty fing bummed here. Is there parts of my trip I could alter and still get the full effect of the drive. With me living in Tracy, I figured on a Friday night head to Monterey for the evening. Saturday morning start the trip and end Saturday night in SLO. On my way home I can run up 101. What would be a monumental trip with our new road conditions? Looking for recommendations from some of you seasoned travelers.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:35 AM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Day trip -hwy 108.North at 395 to Walker BBQ for lunch.Left at 89 to 4 and back to Tracy.First part of July should be good this year.If you can try to pick a Monday or Tuesday.Less traffic.Getting stuck behind motor homes on highway 1 is no fun.Other place for lunch is Markleeville.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:50 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks pretty grim this summer for the PCH between Santa Cruz and San Luis Obispo. Here is an interactive map that flags the ongoing and new closures: http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/...2166/-121.5163 and here is a blog by a local that is tracking the closures: https://bigsurkate.wordpress.com/big...-mile-markers/
Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by odxr
Day trip -hwy 108.North at 395 to Walker BBQ for lunch.Left at 89 to 4 and back to Tracy.First part of July should be good this year.If you can try to pick a Monday or Tuesday.Less traffic.Getting stuck behind motor homes on highway 1 is no fun.Other place for lunch is Markleeville.
This. Walker BBQ is the best I have ever had, well worth the trip. Another option is to backtrack from Walker down to 120/Tioga Pass through Yosemite.
Save Hwy 1 until next year
Old 05-25-2017, 10:26 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Hey Teddy, heard on the news last night that there is a 3 hour detour for milk and groceries. I guess it's via back roads to/from Highway 101...

Enjoy,
Nick
Old 05-26-2017, 09:58 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I would drive the 17 mile drive in Monterey, if you haven't prior. It is a loop but a gorgeous drive for many viewing reasons.

Then head out Carmel Vally Rd going south.

Take it for about an hour and it will lead you onto Arroyo Secco Rd. It will be a left turn heading you East towards the 101. Make a Right turn onto Elm Av and catch 101 south.

In Paso Robles take 46 WEST towards the coast and highway 1. I like to take Old Creek Rd, which will be a left turn heading South, it can come up on you quickly, and meeting up with Hwy 1 just above Morro Bay. You can stay on E 46 to meet hwy 1 too. San Luis Obispo is just 20 minutes further south on hwy 1 from Morro bay. I would try and say the night in Morro Bay compared to San Luis Obispo. Morro Bay has a nice wharf area for strolling and dining choices.

With the Big Sur area closed you really do not have other options other than 101 in seeing some coast.

Carmel Valley Rd has some curves towards the end but a nice drive nevertheless. I have done it a few time in an 18 wheeler at 60 feet in length. Carmel Valley is a lovely scenic valley. Great weather for the area.

I would avoid the temptation to use hwy 17 over to hwy 1 and Santa Cruz. Unless you can make the trip over 17 before noon on Friday.

Last edited by Boomer111; 05-26-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:26 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Did that trip last summer and had a blast. With all those road closures it's going to be a long one for you to go around.

If I was you, I'll drive from Tracy to 101 and pick it up from there, it will be way easier. They will open Hwy 1 eventually, when that happen do a repeat.

Have fun !!!
Old 05-26-2017, 02:44 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Helicopter in

Sf Chron has an article "getting to Big Sur" to the luxury Post Ranch Inn via helicopter. ONLY $4,291 for a two night stay.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

With the bridge being out and now the new slide I would stay clear of that area all together with traffic issue and all...

What about a trip North say Ft Bragg I know we'll be planning a weekend trip to ft bragg in aug if you can wait that long but I doubt it.....

I have a nice hotel if your interested actually 2 places ,,
Old 05-27-2017, 09:40 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

And the giant redwood groves are worth the trip alone.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:55 PM
GS1960
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

We have done the Big Sur trip before and it is a beautiful trip. We haven't been able to stick to Hwy 1 the whole way as we are usually facing a time constraint in one form or the other.

Saturday we ran up I5 to 120 and into Ft. Bragg then down to Bodega Bay then back to Sacramento. It was a long but beautiful day. Hwy1 was a pleasure to drive with just a handful of those pesky bicyclists. The wife drove part of the way, so I was able to enjoy some of the scenery.

Get notified of new replies

To With landslide in Big Sur I fear my HW1 dream is all but over

Quick Reply: With landslide in Big Sur I fear my HW1 dream is all but over