Old 08-14-2017, 09:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Taft, CA tell me about it

hi all
searching for some new roots was curious about Taft

Any medical shopping locally? Know its not the fanciest place but prices of homes caught my eye. Ok or stay away?

Pros, cons? Havent been up there in many yrs
Old 08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I know nothing about Taft but just in my 10 minutes of research, I find it to be very hot, high crime rate, high unemployment rate and has drug problem. Although hard to say what is causing what. Chicken or the egg. Is the drug problem causing of the high crime and high unemployment rate or is the high crime/unemployment rate causing the drug problem. Who knows. I do see that the houses are cheaper there but the "issues" this city has might be the reason for that as well. I don't want to insult people that live in (or come from ) Taft. All cities have their good and bad, and no city is perfect. I am just forming an opinion with what I have been able to google. And from what I read, this doesn't look like a city I would choose to move to unless there was a specific reason I need to be in that city.

If all you are looking for is cheaper housing, there are other places that would be more desirable.

In any case, you might want to post this question in the "Southern California" forum. You might get better responses.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:44 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are retired and looking for some place cheaper I would get out of California.Just moved out of Modesto to Rodeo(wife got a better job) and don't miss the heat ,dirty air of the San Juaquin Valley.After the ole lady is done we are thinking northern Nevada.Some place with no smog inspections.If you wash your car its dirty in 3 or 4 days just from the dust.I grew up in the valley.I don't miss it.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Unplanned medical retirement (if Im lucky) so yeah cheap housing is what Im after
Will be attempting to live on less than 30k a year..somehow. Simple home with a garage
Our 1 br apt just went up to 2k....next door neighbor went up to 3k!!! Place filling up with Sec 8 in the meantime

Last visit to Taft was around late 80s figured it was probably a rathole but would double ck as a last resort. The weather in Ca cant be beat but the crime and cost Frazier Park is super low crime & cheap but the most nothing boring place Ive ever been to. No medical, stores
They have Ca gold plated house fever too. ugh

Found any decent areas in Nevada? Only looked online for bit, seems much more expensive than AZ (probably where Im headed) which I may use as a jumping off state til I find somewhere I really love
With Nevada legalizing pot concerned the crime and already bad drug problem will get even worse.

Grew up in the SFV which is now horrible (even having a bad crime wave here too) ...shame whats happened to this state.
Time to get the hell out I agree

All input appreciated.

Last edited by cv67; 08-14-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:40 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I took a Police training class in Shafter a few months ago.

From what I was hearing from the Kern Sheriffs teaching the class talked about Taft and McFarland are very bad places. Bakersfield as a whole is not a great place.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

interesting...wonder if Taft has its own department, if they rely on Bakersfield perhaps thats part of the reason (response time)?

Frazier parks station looked like a tiny cabin. 1 woman worked the desk, 1 in a car that was it. Had a "closed weekends" sign on the door

Want a slow paced life but there is literally nothing to do there 0 amenities

pretty challenging job youre getting into there, hang onto your hat
The following users liked this post:
ddawson (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
interesting...wonder if Taft has its own department, if they rely on Bakersfield perhaps thats part of the reason (response time)?

Frazier parks station looked like a tiny cabin. 1 woman worked the desk, 1 in a car that was it. Had a "closed weekends" sign on the door

Want a slow paced life but there is literally nothing to do there 0 amenities

pretty challenging job youre getting into there, hang onto your hat
No police work, Animal Control though so I'll be working with them.

How about Grass Valley or Nevada City. Cheap close to the mountains and not that far from anything.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I will ck that out, cheap/low crime is where its at for me. Dont wanna be 10 ft from the neighbors or listen to someone whine if I start my 67 up
Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mother in law lives up in the Jackson Volcano area.Alot of the houses have shop space + 1/4 1/2 acre lots.Fallon area of Nevada you can get a small house for around 100k.Nevada has no personal income tax.The problem is the closer to a major city the more expensive it will be.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 AM
ROADRACER_
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Jackson, CA is less than an hour southeast of Sacramento in the Sierra foothills wide open which has several lakes within the area is a great area for the outdoorsman about 2 hours from San Francisco.

Last edited by ROADRACER_; 08-20-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:38 PM
dave1234
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I live in Bakersfield. Taft sucks pretty big. I pass though there to go cruising down hwy 33 to ojai. That's an amazing road. But Taft has a college that some people commute to from Bakersfield. That college is seriously the only thing that town has going for it.
Theres a skydiving outfit out of Taft. Back in 09 they filmed an amateur **** film while skydiving. It ended up on the news in most of CA.
Overall I would consider Bakersfield only if you are set on moving over here. Bakersfield is cheaper than Sacramento where I grew up, and Fresno where I went to college. I love it here. But there's crime in whatever town you go to if you are only looking to drop 600 a month on rent for example.
Good luck.
Again I love it here, but we pay a fair amount to live in a nice subdivision.

Dave

Last edited by dave1234; 08-20-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Not wanting to offend anyone but California's Central Valley just about sucks in its entirety.

I just read about the Center
Valley's White Racist problems.

Plus the weather is awful and can be windy.

Look at Medford Oregon, in all seriousness.

Last edited by Boomer111; 08-20-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:35 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

I could survive just fine in an older area but she likes to roam around on her own and has victimwritten all over her
Certain elements out here everyone wants to avoid but well aware in desert type areas the tweakers are bad news. Heck Helendale looked real real good til I saw it was between victorville and barstow. Nice pool home on a golf course for under 200k but better have a shotgun handy lol.

Only option I can see in ca where its low crime and cheap is Frazier park, going to santa clarita for everything doesnt look appealing.
Will ck out some places in Nevada I have no desire to live in town just not too far in case i need another ER trip. simple 2 br with room for cars is all I need. Seen deals on Mc Mansion pool homes noone wants but its more than I want to take care of; plus when I kick off which could be any time its just enough for her and not $ overwhelming.

Keep the suggestions coming. Any place that has lax smog laws a plus too. Get hassled so much taking my Camino out I just parked it 2 yrs ago dont need it impounded by some millenial. Just want to drive it again without worrying about it. Out here CHP can take your chit if it doesnt have a smog pump or has headers even if exempt..been down that road 25 yrs ago car was destroyed in the impound yard nothing you can do about it.

Last edited by cv67; 08-21-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Getting a feel for areas in AZ but need NEv suggestions. .

Hoping on renting a car next mo for a week looking at a dozen places, dropping a deposit and returning just long enough to pack our stuff no reason to be here anymore as I cant work .
Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Check out some of the Northern counties in California. Get away from the coast and large population centers and prices are reasonable. Most places you only have to smog your car when it changes ownership. Houses can be well under 200K, apts under 1K a month. Medical options can be spotty, but some good community hospitals and doctors in some areas. Insurance for a chopper to fly you to larger hospitals in an emergency is under $100 a year. Of course, you won't get that great SoCal weather, but snow can be pretty much avoided. PM me if you are interested in more details about my location.

Get notified of new replies

To Taft, CA tell me about it

Quick Reply: Taft, CA tell me about it