Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C1 of Year Finalist
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

My wife and live on the back side of Fountaingrove in Santa Rosa and on Sunday night we awoke to the sound of the high winds. We could also smell smoke so we went outside to see if we could see anything. Not seeing anything we went back inside. I then went online searching for information and learned that there was a fire in Calistoga about 10 miles away. We then went back to bed.
About ten minutes later there was load pounding on the front door and we got up to find the fire department there telling us we had to get out of the house NOW! We threw on our clothes grabbed just a few items and fled the house in our Suburban leaving our two Corvettes in the garage. We evacuated to our place of business, the bowling alley in Rohnert Park, and spent the night on the couches in the lounge.
Early the next morning we turned on the news and found that the fire had reached the west side of Hwy 101 around the time that we evacuated so we figurged that the fire had skipped past our house which was the case at the time. We spent the day at the bowl, as no one was allowed back into the fire area, waiting for word on our home.
As the day progressed the wind changed direction and we learned that the fire had traveled back up the hill into our neighborhood and now most of the houses there were on fire.
Around 4pm we got a call from one of our neighbors, who had somehow got back up there, telling us that our garage had just caught on fire but the fire department was there. They had broken down the garage door and seeing the Corvettes asked our neighbor if she could call us to see if the keys to the cars were still in the house.
When we got the call we told them where the keys were and they were able to pull the cars out to safety with only minor damage. They were also able to contain the fire to the garage and we have one few houses still standing in the whole neighborhood.
I feel like I have experienced a miricle and can not say enough kind words about our Fire and Police Departments.
The following users liked this post:
GotCorvette? (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 AM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
I have relatives in Santa Rosa, unfortunately nature got the best of them and destroyed all four of their beautiful homes. The good news is that they are fine.

God Bless to all and be safe.
If anyone has been displaced from the fire our teamsters union has a place in Santa Rosa where if you need things to get you by we have it.
Bedding towels used clothes tons of water. Food. Toys. Hygiene items.

Here is the address. 1371 Neotomas Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95405

Trailer of water

Ladies cloths

Men’s clothes
The following 2 users liked this post by ptroxx:
GotCorvette? (10-15-2017), Mike's LS3 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 AM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

I to have an aunt and uncle that lost their 6 months new dream home to this beast. Foetunately they were not yet living in the home and still working on renovations. They happen to own Jackson's bar and grill in Santa Rosa. Instead of dwelling on the loss they are making stops at local shelters providing food and water. Amazing people. While I an quite a bit of a ways out in Tracy, I have a 1600 square ft shop and can get another 2 cars in there or 2 acres where a couple of you can leave a trailer. Just PM me. My heart goes out to you all.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:27 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I work in Solano County and the smoke and ash have been bad.

For those displaced the Solano SPCA is taking pets. I'll be there today keeping them entertained.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I live in Santa Rosa off Brush Creek at the bottom of Fountaingrove. I lucked out, the fire burned about a mile north of my house but for some reason didn’t travel to my neighborhood. I’ve never witnessed anything like this and hope I never do again. Here are a few of the pictures I’ve taken over the past week.

This was the view from my house the first night when it was just starting before I left my house figuring it would be burning it down shortly.

I have a friend that lost their home in Fountaingrove (several actually), I made it into the Hidden Valley area there the next day to see if they were ok, they were, their home wasn’t.

This is about a mile north of me in Rincon Valley, the fire burned up to Calistoga Road.

I have a bunch of friends still evacuated in Skyhawk from the Oakmont fire, this was yesterday behind that development.

The National Guard is here relieving the different law enforcement branches from all over that have been here helping.

It’s been heartening seeing all of the different agencies here helping combat this thing. It’s going to take a while, but this area will recover.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rooster OG:
ddlanes (10-17-2017), GotCorvette? (10-17-2017), LuckyGuy (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 12:43 PM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

Thanks for the update Tom. I am glad that you are okay.

All the best,
Andy
Rooster OG (10-18-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 07:24 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks Andy, it’s much appreciated!

Quick Reply: NorCal people in harm's way from the fires Ckeck In