Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:02 PM
rupam
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Jose nice apartment complexes

Hi All,

Happy New Year!

I have a very off topic question for you. I am moving from NJ to CA Bay Area - specifically San Jose - in about a month.

I will be renting an apartment and I have heard horror stories of cars being broken into, even in nice apartment complexes. In fact, I have heard the car thefts or break-ins happen more frequently in the nicer apartment complexes as there are nicer more expensive cars there.

I wouldn't have the chance to go to San Jose and look for places and judge for myself. I will be signing a lease remotely.

Can anyone recommend good apartment complexes where cars are safe? Would love to hear from my Corvette owners friends who are living and renting in San Jose.

Thanks,

Rupam
Old 01-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Nimrod
Le Mans Master

Location: Willow Glen, California.........................."But... Chunks is our dog!"
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

San Jose is a big (sprawling) city. Do you have a specific area in mind? Coming out here for work?
As far as the break-ins are concerned, I don't think it's any better or worse than anywhere else. SJPD has been a little thin for a few years, but they seem to be addressing the issues.
The following users liked this post:
rupam (01-11-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:16 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Bring lots of money with you. But you probably already know that.
rupam (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:33 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Bring lots of money with you. But you probably already know that.
Rent has simply gotten insane. rupam, give us some specifics. as to where you are going to be commuting to and from. Literally in a 15 mile radius the commute can be 15 minutes to 45 minutes. Plus I suspect many of us can hook you up on "Nextdoor" where there is always someone looking for a renter at a slightly lower cost. Might be a cottage, or?
Old 01-11-2018, 10:48 AM
rupam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Grzldvt1
Rent has simply gotten insane. rupam, give us some specifics. as to where you are going to be commuting to and from. Literally in a 15 mile radius the commute can be 15 minutes to 45 minutes. Plus I suspect many of us can hook you up on "Nextdoor" where there is always someone looking for a renter at a slightly lower cost. Might be a cottage, or?
Thanks. I know rent is insane and I have accepted that. My office is in downtown SJ but I work from home. Would be going to office only once or twice a week, so I can commute no problem.

Would prefer near downtown San Jose as my wife doesnt drive much yet (she is new yorker), so is looking to atleast be able to buy milk without taking out the car.

Fancy building, or apartment complex... in a safe neighborhood
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM
rupam
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nimrod
San Jose is a big (sprawling) city. Do you have a specific area in mind? Coming out here for work?
As far as the break-ins are concerned, I don't think it's any better or worse than anywhere else. SJPD has been a little thin for a few years, but they seem to be addressing the issues.
Moving for good (hopefully) for work... would be working from home so commute no problem. Looking near downtown SJ... I know rent would be $3-3.5K for a 2 bedroom apartment, and have accepted that
Old 01-11-2018, 01:42 PM
Homer3D
Melting Slicks

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts

I use to live in San Jose but moved away roughly 4 years ago. There were 2 places I would consider.

The 88.
http://88sanjose.com/
Location is great. It actually shares the building with Safeway so to go to the grocery store is just a quick ride down the elevator. Restaurants within easy walking distance (like right across the street). About 2 blocks from Cesar Chavez park where tons of local events are held. It has a secure parking garage.

The Axis
http://www.sanjoseaxis.com/
Very good location too. Slightly easier access to the freeway than the 88 but not as convenient to go to the grocery store. If you like being out and walking/biking, it is super close to the Guadalupe River Trail. I also like it is about a block or 2 from San Pedro Square with tons of places to eat, drink, events and live music. It is also about 2-3 blocks from Cesar Chavez park. And of course, secure parking.

* Edit: I should add if you are a hockey fan, the Axis is maybe a 10 minute walk to the arena where the San Jose Sharks play. They also have concerts and other events there too. This might be a PRO for some but for me, it is CON which is why I think the 88 is a better location. During events at the arena, the traffic is insane around where the Axis is located. But if you don't need to drive during that time, it is a non-issue.

As stated, it has been 4 years since I lived in San Jose so I may not be completely up to date on what the nice areas are any more.

Here is a good place to look for available rentals as well.
http://www.siliconvalleylofts.com/page/downtown-rentals

Last edited by Homer3D; 01-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.
rupam (01-16-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 02:46 PM
Nimrod
Le Mans Master

Location: Willow Glen, California.........................."But... Chunks is our dog!"
Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts

Given your working situation, I wouldn't let your office anchor you to downtown. Personally, I would be inclined to look for a house, townhouse or condo with its own garage. The Cambrian and Willow Glen areas are nice and not far from downtown. You might be pushing the upper end of your budget, though. I was born and raised in these areas and admit they are my personal comfort zones.
rupam (01-16-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

I don't know if there is any safe place in California. The voters passed Proposition 47 in 2014. It turned many felonies into misdemeanors. From what I have heard from my neighbors, the cops don't even come out for car break ins. They have you file an online report.

I was so happy when I came here in 1968. I think I will be happier when I leave.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:31 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by rupam
Thanks. I know rent is insane and I have accepted that. My office is in downtown SJ but I work from home. Would be going to office only once or twice a week, so I can commute no problem.

Would prefer near downtown San Jose as my wife doesnt drive much yet (she is new yorker), so is looking to atleast be able to buy milk without taking out the car.

Fancy building, or apartment complex... in a safe neighborhood
Take a look in the Santa Teresa area, and or Blossom Hill area. They are a bit distant from downtown, but pricing is a little less, and you can use the light rail to get to the office. When I was working in downtown San Jose, I could walk to the light rail station, take it two work and back, and never get in a car.
The main freeway through downtown San Jose which is 87, is borderline gridlock during commute. Looks at VTA.org and poke around the Light Rail areas. East San Jose, not so much as it is still a rougher area, but South San Jose is a very good place, unless downtown works for you.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:09 AM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Nimrod
Given your working situation, I wouldn't let your office anchor you to downtown. Personally, I would be inclined to look for a house, townhouse or condo with its own garage. The Cambrian and Willow Glen areas are nice and not far from downtown. You might be pushing the upper end of your budget, though. I was born and raised in these areas and admit they are my personal comfort zones.
I live in the Cambrian area. Its a nice area and is considered affordable. You may be able to find something for $3500 if you're lucky. There's a home up the street that is pretty much a scraper. Sway back roof, corner lot, looks to be a wreck. It sold in 3 days at $850K and didn't really get market exposure. Normally homes are $1M+. And Cambrian is still considered affordable? Willow Glen - add $300K.
rupam (01-16-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If commute isn’t an issue why are you stuck on San Jose? There’s plenty of nice city’s in the Easybay.
rupam (01-16-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To San Jose nice apartment complexes

Quick Reply: San Jose nice apartment complexes