Northern California Northern California

Bay Area Driving... Joyful?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
Personally, I think Southern California like in San Diego, Ventura, and Orange County have the best Corvette weather in the country. Very few rain days and great air temps and the scenery on PCH, well what can I say.

There is a reason why a gazillion people live in Southern California and put up with the traffic and the cost of living.

I just wish there was another place like Southern California. Florida might be something to consider but, I think it rains way too much in Florida and don't forget the hurricanes and sink holes.

Arizona has been a thought but, I'm not sure if I want to put up with the heat. Heat will tear a car up if exposed to the hot sun day in & day out.

Texas sounds good but, the weather is extreme at times and a determining factor. Alabama may be in the same boat, insofar as having extreme weather but, I hear the cost of living in Alabama is pretty good these days.

Oh well, I'm still trying to decide if it is a good idea to leave California. The politics is out of hand. There is a bill to make it illegal to have straws and a bill to provide diapers and abortion pills free to people.

I had it with all of these laws, taxes and restrictions.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Today I got together with my brother, who lives in Contra Costa County. His wife is so unhappy in the Bay Area, he is getting ready to put his house up for sale and move to Arizona. He is worried about the heat, but it was down to keeping his wife happy or else.

All my relatives have either passed away or left the Golden State. I really won't have any ties here anymore.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:55 PM
0Watson Chevrolet
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in Arizona if I can help with any questions? feel free to ask
The following users liked this post:
bimmerborn (02-01-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 07:36 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I used to live in Tucson. It was nice in the winter. My wife and I had to laugh about the heat. "But it's a dry heat .... like a blast furnace"

Summer consisted of get up to go to work. Outside temp was near 90. Leave AC house to AC car. Drive to AC work. Get off work. Outside temp was 105+. Drive home to AC house in AC car. Weekends were different in that you didn't do the drive to AC work part. I spent way less time outside in AZ than I did in MT.

Last edited by DWillys; 01-30-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:10 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

The C6 sits in the garage more and more.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:28 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
Today I got together with my brother, who lives in Contra Costa County. His wife is so unhappy in the Bay Area, he is getting ready to put his house up for sale and move to Arizona. He is worried about the heat, but it was down to keeping his wife happy or else.

All my relatives have either passed away or left the Golden State. I really won't have any ties here anymore.
In 2010 it was bad now it is even worse because the freeways are always gridlocked from construction, collisions to too much traffic. Contra Costa has had a lot of new homes put in with little to no improvements in expanding the roads to fixing the torn up roads which are full of debris from construction materials to furniture and home appliances that have fallen off from people who don't secure their loads. It's a third world pay more and get less. We can't wait to get outta here.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:28 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Starting in the 70s, friends of mine began to leave the bay area. Some for other less populated places in California, some for Oregon, Washington, Arizona, etc.

I always noticed not one of them ever came back. I left in '91 for farther northern California. Less money here, but less traffic and stress. Clean air, too, and no smog test unless the vehicle is being sold to another private party.

Silicon Valley. You live there so you can work there so you can afford to live there so you can work there so you can afford to live there...

I call it living on a treadmill.

Last edited by GotCorvette?; 01-31-2018 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GotCorvette?:
bimmerborn (02-01-2018), Is2scooby (02-27-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Sometimes my Silicon Valley friends come visit me here. After a few days of the relaxed slower pace of life here they ask what we do for fun here.

I tell them we turn on the news in the morning on the bay area channels and watch the traffic reports.
bimmerborn (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:29 PM
the kid C6
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
Starting in the 70s, friends of mine began to leave the bay area. Some for other less populated places in California, some for Oregon, Washington, Arizona, etc.

I always noticed not one of them ever came back.
Even if they wanted to return, they can't afford to come back.
bimmerborn (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:36 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by the kid C6
Even if they wanted to return, they can't afford to come back.
Wouldn't want to come back once you get a bigger house with more land and lower cost of living with little to no traffic and no lines wherever you go.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS WON:
bimmerborn (02-01-2018), GotCorvette? (02-06-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:49 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Then I wonder why people aren't lining up to leave...?
As much as I hate crowds, I don't plan to leave. Thank goodness for track days
Old 02-01-2018, 01:49 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?
I tell them we turn on the news in the morning on the bay area channels and watch the traffic reports.
Not really happy to say this, but there is truth in what you just posted!

Now for me living here it is not funny. But I admit if I wasn't living in Bay Area... Yup. Funny.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 02-01-2018 at 01:53 PM.
GotCorvette? (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:57 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Not really happy to say this, but there is truth in what you just posted!

Now for me living here it is not funny. But I admit if I wasn't living in Bay Area... Yup. Funny.
You'll be doing it, too, one day soon.
bimmerborn (02-01-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 07:29 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Folks, thank you for your replies. I got the correct answer I was looking for.

I still believe San Francisco Bay Area is one of the finest places to live. Yes, traffic is getting on my nerves and take the fun out of my 7 speed manual. Prices are high too. However living in this area still fine to me.
I will move after I retire, but not too far away.

I agree on the merits of living in the SF bay area (been here since '71)
expensive yes, but it does have a lot to offer. ocean drive, mountain drive, long freeway drives. decent weather.
but when I retire ( 5 - 6 yrs, fingers crossed ), I'm looking to move north, northwest maybe.
we'll see.
till then, i'll make the most of my weekend drives.
bimmerborn (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I don't get the hate.

Traffic is worse....cause the economy is better.

I have had my top off my car for almost a week straight with this weather. In February.

This is one of the best places to own a Corvette.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Traffic

Originally Posted by spireland
I don't get the hate.

Traffic is worse....cause the economy is better.

I have had my top off my car for almost a week straight with this weather. In February.

This is one of the best places to own a Corvette.

I agree on the reasons of the increased traffic.
but with that logic, would you want to live in so. cal.?

I can deal with short stretches of back-ups, but down there it's a 24 hour ordeal.

I love the weather too, I've also been had the top off too.
but I would feel better if was april instead. too early in the year and no rain.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
There are bad drivers here, but there are just too many cars. They keep building more high density housing. The politicians want us to use mass transit. They have no concept of the fact that some people might actually enjoy driving a car like a Corvette.

I am seriously considering moving away from the Bay Area.
Santa Cruz is as bad or worse. I picked up a place in Montana and I will split my time between central Montana and central California. Yeah, there will be a big chunk of the year when I can't drive the Vette in Montana (at least not safely with summer tires), but have you seen the roads there? Great condition, wide open straight aways AND twisties and a population that generally drives at a decent clip. No Teslas, no Priuses.

Get notified of new replies

To Bay Area Driving... Joyful?

Old 02-08-2018, 05:28 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default bay area driving

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
Santa Cruz is as bad or worse. I picked up a place in Montana and I will split my time between central Montana and central California. Yeah, there will be a big chunk of the year when I can't drive the Vette in Montana (at least not safely with summer tires), but have you seen the roads there? Great condition, wide open straight aways AND twisties and a population that generally drives at a decent clip. No Teslas, no Priuses.

my daughter & I have scheduled a road trip your way.
heading to Montana in may, by way cal-nev-idaho-montana.
then heading to mt. rushmore,-Toledo-bowling green ( museum )-then head back to cal. thinking about heading back via rte. 66, maybe even hit midwest street cars ( "street outlaws" ) on the way.

yea, the bay area traffic wasn't enough, so stupid me, decides on doing a 6k mile trip. of course it's spread out over 10 days.

can't wait!!!

bimmerborn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

I used to live in MT. I put it this way - Drivers in Montana don't know where they're going, how to get there, and don't care how long it takes.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:40 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cgladish
I agree on the reasons of the increased traffic.
but with that logic, would you want to live in so. cal.?

I can deal with short stretches of back-ups, but down there it's a 24 hour ordeal.

I love the weather too, I've also been had the top off too.
but I would feel better if was april instead. too early in the year and no rain.
San Francisco Bay area traffic is the third worst in the whole nation per news. I am sure the Bay Bridge morning commute is close to #1 worst
Proposal to raise bridge tolls up to $9.00 over a period of years will go to the voters. Gas tax of 12 cents plus already in affect as most of you know without voter approval.
Can't go anywhere anymore including weekends because no matter which way you go you run into gridlock/traffic, construction, and torn up roads that will wreck your car.

Last edited by LS WON; 02-09-2018 at 10:41 AM.
bimmerborn (02-09-2018)

Quick Reply: Bay Area Driving... Joyful?