Northern California Northern California

Service at Abel

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:07 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Service at Abel

Made appointment at Abel Chevrolet for my 1st official oil change/inspections for my 2017 Stingray. My local dealer, in Monterey, refused to use Mobil 1. I have heard outstanding reviews from this forum about Abel. So, on Wed. I will have my opinion. It means a 2 hr. + drive... I have heard some folks have taken their car from San Diego.

I hope my opinion complements those already reported.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:25 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron1
Made appointment at Abel Chevrolet for my 1st official oil change/inspections for my 2017 Stingray. My local dealer, in Monterey, refused to use Mobil 1. I have heard outstanding reviews from this forum about Abel. So, on Wed. I will have my opinion. It means a 2 hr. + drive... I have heard some folks have taken their car from San Diego.

There are a few nice places to go and eat walking distance from the dealer.
I’d suggest Fosters Bighorn. If your not into hunting then that may not be your spot. About 200 mounted animals.

But there area a bunch of other place to eat.

If walking is an issue. I’m sure they will drive you into town where ever you’d like to eat.
Also the delta is right there. Bring a fishing pole ...lol.

Enjoy your drive. It’ll be worth it.

Last edited by ptroxx; 01-30-2018 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tron1 (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM
billet racing
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Abel

Originally Posted by ptroxx
There are a few nice places to go and eat walking distance from the dealer.
I’d suggest Fosters Bighorn. If your not into hunting then that may not be your spot. About 200 mounted animals.

But there area a bunch of other place to eat.

If walking is an issue. I’m sure they will drive you into town where ever you’d like to eat.
Also the delta is right there. Bring a fishing pole ...lol.

Enjoy your drive. It’ll be worth it.
Damn, I'd think you could bring your own oil and have them change, cheaper than driving to Rio Vista. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive. Make a day trip out of it.

Jerry
Old 01-30-2018, 05:32 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Originally Posted by billet racing
Damn, I'd think you could bring your own oil and have them change, cheaper than driving to Rio Vista. On the other hand, it is a beautiful drive. Make a day trip out of it.

Jerry
This is my 1st official oil change, by Chevy, as it is free during the 2 year full warranty period...so I wont be bringing my own oil. I am requesting trans and diff fluid with Amsoil and the general inspection.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Your local dealer refused to use Mobil 1??

I swear Chevy dealers are the biggest threat to Corvette sales. Why does Chevy put up with this nonsense from their dealers.

Abel is awesome, I was actually there this morning with mine. Another great experience.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:21 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
Your local dealer refused to use Mobil 1??

I swear Chevy dealers are the biggest threat to Corvette sales. Why does Chevy put up with this nonsense from their dealers.

Abel is awesome, I was actually there this morning with mine. Another great experience.

So you and Tron were there at the same I seen a few others there today too.

The good weather brings out the Vettes to be serviced. Lol
Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 AM
Nokones
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 158 Posts

Me personally, I would stick with the GM oil for the diff and tranny. You can't go wrong with the GM oil it has worked great for all these years.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:33 AM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by ptroxx
So you and Tron were there at the same I seen a few others there today too.

The good weather brings out the Vettes to be serviced. Lol

I wish. On my 6th oil change in 13 months. Worth it though, makes my commute something I don't dread anymore.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 PM
Tron1
Instructor

I decided to cancel my appointment as I dreaded the 7 hr. + (round trip) drive during rush hour. I rescheduled the appointment for Tuesday at 8am. Better to leave the house at 4:30am and totally avoid all the heavy traffic. I hate stop 'n go driving... especially with a M7.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 559 Likes on 362 Posts

Try showing this link to your local dealer:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ette-1311.html

It hasn't been updated to show newer than 2017 cars (per the title, not the text).
Tron1 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:00 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

YOU HAVE YOU EAT AT FOSTERS BIG HORN!!!

seriously. go. It has one of the largest taxidermy collections anywhere - including an elephant, giraffe, several water buffalos. They have a great bar, and decent food. But the experience is something else! http://fostersbighorn.com/

Oh - And ABEL is terrific!

Last edited by IRMB; 02-03-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Tron1 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Try showing this link to your local dealer:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...ette-1311.html

It hasn't been updated to show newer than 2017 cars (per the title, not the text).
Grand Slam is correct, but if you have to tell the dealership what oil GM says to use, do you really want them working on your car?

Some of the Abel fans here have had bad experiences at other dealerships. To them, the drive to Rio Vista is worth the peace of mind.

Last edited by Sunnyvale Dave; 02-04-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:35 PM
toy4speed
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the 1 hr drive to Able Chev last year after I purchased my 2008 C6Z. Rich and crew got me started at about 8am, I planned to wait so they dropped me off at the nearby McDonalds which had wifi, had breakfast, leisurely coffee. Then a short walk back to Able where I waited another hour in the comfortable waiting area. To have a dependable, quality service dept work on my car, this is not a big effort for me. Looking forward to seeing Able again for next service!
Old 02-07-2018, 03:04 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by toy4speed
I did the 1 hr drive to Able Chev last year after I purchased my 2008 C6Z. Rich and crew got me started at about 8am, I planned to wait so they dropped me off at the nearby McDonalds which had wifi, had breakfast, leisurely coffee. Then a short walk back to Able where I waited another hour in the comfortable waiting area. To have a dependable, quality service dept work on my car, this is not a big effort for me. Looking forward to seeing Able again for next service!
Thanks for making the drive out and it was nice meeting you. Please let us know if you need anything in the future.

RICH
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Toy4speed, I agree with you 100% My experience was similar to yours.
I did not have to insist on my Mobil 1 oil change...it was simply done per GM requirements. My local Monterey dealer and the Watsonville dealer both refused to honor the warranty. It was a 3 hour drive in heavy traffic to Abel... they have a well deserved reputation. They simply deliver on solid, competent, professional service... a rarity in the auto industry.

It would be great if Abel had another service station 50-100 miles further south in the San Jose area for those customers who prefer a more convenient location....I'm just sayin'

Last edited by Tron1; 02-07-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Toy4speed, I agree with you 100% My experience was similar to yours.
I did not have to insist on my Mobil 1 oil change...it was simply done per GM requirements. My local Monterey dealer and the Watsonville dealer both refused to honor the warranty. It was a 3 hour drive in heavy traffic to Abel... they have a well deserved reputation. They simply deliver on solid, competent, professional service... a rarity in the auto industry.

It would be great if Abel had another service station 50-100 miles further south in the San Jose area for those customers who prefer a more convenient location....I'm just sayin'
They would clean up if they had a place in the Monterey Bay area. The local GM dealer pulled out of Capitola in the past and there is no one locally here in the Santa Cruz area. Not that I shed any tears when they closed shop - that particular dealership was particularly bad for both sales and service.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:50 PM
IRMB
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik Zinn
They would clean up if they had a place in the Monterey Bay area. The local GM dealer pulled out of Capitola in the past and there is no one locally here in the Santa Cruz area. Not that I shed any tears when they closed shop - that particular dealership was particularly bad for both sales and service.
They have another location in martinez - which is a bit better for bay area folks - but I don't think they're doing service there yet. Hopefully soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Service at Abel

Old 02-10-2018, 12:08 PM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,100 Likes on 752 Posts

[/I]

OP, are you talking about Peninsula? Surprising to me as I know they're really trying to build Corvette sales there. If it's Peninsula, wonder if the owner knows they're cheaping out on Corvette service. If that is the case, I know he would not be happy about it.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09Z06pj
[/I]

OP, are you talking about Peninsula? Surprising to me as I know they're really trying to build Corvette sales there. If it's Peninsula, wonder if the owner knows they're cheaping out on Corvette service. If that is the case, I know he would not be happy about it.
I attempted to negotiate to purchase a C7 at Peninsula, they were not competitive... also brought my C7 there for warranty service...and left without anything done... would not recommend them.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I attempted to negotiate to purchase a C7 at Peninsula, they were not competitive... also brought my C7 there for warranty service...and left without anything done... would not recommend them.
My local dealer, in Monterey, refused to use Mobil 1.

While your NEW car is under warranty GM/Chevy dealers are under obligation to Follow the rules and provide service as needed, aren't they?

And if they didn't want to comply with their own brand and provide you with the Mfr's recommended oil (Mobil1), then WHAT were they planning to use instead? Whatever it is, isn't it against the GM recommendation, and how do they Explain all this?

Quick Reply: Service at Abel