Northern California Northern California

Anyone running Long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Anyone running Long tube headers?

Hey guys,

Just got a C6. Looking for long tube headers recommendations.

I also have a question - I am told they're not legal in CA, although I know a lot of Corvettes have them...so what's the deal?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Some places in CA have inspections only when the vehicle is sold. Also, from what I understand, there's no inspection the 1st 5 years for a new vehicle.

I've heard stories of Porsche owners that have 2 engines, one for driving and one for the smog inspection. So my guess is they're swapping parts for smog inspections or have access to a "friendly" smog test shop. However "friendly" shops are becoming fewer and fewer as the state works pretty hard to weed them out.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:34 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Some of the counties in California are smog on transfer only-like if you own a cabin in the mountains you register it there.Mods are only legal if the come with a California Air resources board executive order exemption sticker.If you get pulled over and the leo thinks you have a modified car you can get sent to the smog referee station.Some guys buy new cars and mod them then sell out of state when its time for a smog test.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 383vett
When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.

My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.

My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.
Actually, I think it's now over 6 years for a new car. My wife's car was bought early 2012 and we just paid for a new registration (6 years) and didn't have to have it smogged. Perhaps someone in the know can chime in. Long tubes won't pass smog. You'll have to swap them out every 2 years.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Paul 68
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a 2008 Corvette and half to smog it every two years.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

problem with lt's is they move the o2 sensor farther away from the motor than designed.that"s why ca. won't issue a carb # for them.any aftermarket part that is before the cats needs a carb # or they are illegal.
your option are:
1- run them and hope the smog tech is blind
2- run them and switch out to stock exhaust every other year at smog time
3- run ls7 exhaust.they are basicly like using shorty headers so the gain over a base c6 exhaust will be about half of lt's
Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.

Last edited by ssbowtie1; 03-14-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'l be coming across this issue next year as I'll be up for smog.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 PM
DWillys
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 174 Posts

Anything from the cats forward requires an Executive Order (EO) sticker. If it isn't original equipment or have a EO sticker it will fail visual. In fact most smog shops do the visual 1st and if you fail that they won't waste their time on a test.

This tells what vehicles have to be tested and how often:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Here's the database of EOs. If it isn't here it isn't legal to use in a vehicle on CA roads.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...es/amquery.php

So anyone telling you their long tubes are ok are lying if they aren't in the database. The STAR (smog test) technicians for the most part don't care what you or the manufacturers says. If it doesn't have the EO sticker it fails.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 PM
ssbowtie1
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing
Well some states still do a sniffer test and technically high flow cats will pass the sniffer on a stock cam or close to stock cam (although generally they go bad faster than stock cats).

You may be able to not disable the rear O2 sensors and not set a code, maybe someone with LTs can chime in.

Ideally if you can turn off the rear O2s and still get a ready reading on the sensor, that would be your best bet. I've had tuners tell me it's possible, but I haven't verified it.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.

Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptroxx
Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.
I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing).
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

I’m talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So that’s not an issue.

I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing).
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM
Vette_Fan
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ptroxx
I’m talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So that’s not an issue.
So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running Long tube headers?

Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM
mggray87
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making?

Thanks!

obd2 plug in now. No sniffer. Visual and plug in only. All they did on my vette last year
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
chain_5001
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Last i heard was 2002+ cars get the visual & scanner to check for smog equipment operating. But yes, no tailpipe sniffer test.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
ChrisVette11
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my 99 smogged and they hooked me up to the sniffer.

Quick Reply: Anyone running Long tube headers?