Anyone running Long tube headers? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
Northern California Northern California

Anyone running Long tube headers?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 AM
  #1  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,570
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default Anyone running Long tube headers?

Hey guys,

Just got a C6. Looking for long tube headers recommendations.

I also have a question - I am told they're not legal in CA, although I know a lot of Corvettes have them...so what's the deal?
Vette_Fan is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 12:57 PM
  #2  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 444
Thanked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Some places in CA have inspections only when the vehicle is sold. Also, from what I understand, there's no inspection the 1st 5 years for a new vehicle.

I've heard stories of Porsche owners that have 2 engines, one for driving and one for the smog inspection. So my guess is they're swapping parts for smog inspections or have access to a "friendly" smog test shop. However "friendly" shops are becoming fewer and fewer as the state works pretty hard to weed them out.
DWillys is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 02:34 PM
  #3  
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Posts: 15,441
Thanked 601 Times in 442 Posts
Default

When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.
383vett is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM
  #4  
odxr
CF Senior Member
 
odxr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2015
Location: Modesto Ca
Posts: 301
Thanks: 0
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Some of the counties in California are smog on transfer only-like if you own a cabin in the mountains you register it there.Mods are only legal if the come with a California Air resources board executive order exemption sticker.If you get pulled over and the leo thinks you have a modified car you can get sent to the smog referee station.Some guys buy new cars and mod them then sell out of state when its time for a smog test.
odxr is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM
  #5  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,570
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
When I had a C6Z I ran ARH headers and was very happy with those. You should have the car tuned after long tubes. After 6 years I removed the headers so I could smog and sell the car.
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.


My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.

Last edited by Vette_Fan; 03-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Vette_Fan is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 05:30 PM
  #6  
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Posts: 15,441
Thanked 601 Times in 442 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.


My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.
Actually, I think it's now over 6 years for a new car. My wife's car was bought early 2012 and we just paid for a new registration (6 years) and didn't have to have it smogged. Perhaps someone in the know can chime in. Long tubes won't pass smog. You'll have to swap them out every 2 years.
383vett is offline  
Old 03-12-2018, 09:21 PM
  #7  
Paul 68
CF Senior Member
 
Paul 68's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Location: Alameda California
Posts: 2,171
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
I am guessing you fell under the 5 years "new car" rule. Help me understand - don't we have to smog the car every 2 Yrs?

I just got a 2008 C6 from out of state. So to register it in CA it's going to get smogged anyway.


My long-term goal was to keep the stock mufflers (NPP OEM dual exhaust), and just install the LTs, X pipe with high flow cats - I thought that recipe would pass the smog.


I have a 2008 Corvette and half to smog it every two years.
Paul 68 is online now  
Old 03-12-2018, 09:38 PM
  #8  
jonnyc
CF Senior Member
 
jonnyc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: citrus heights ca
Posts: 503
Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
Default

problem with lt's is they move the o2 sensor farther away from the motor than designed.that"s why ca. won't issue a carb # for them.any aftermarket part that is before the cats needs a carb # or they are illegal.
your option are:
1- run them and hope the smog tech is blind
2- run them and switch out to stock exhaust every other year at smog time
3- run ls7 exhaust.they are basicly like using shorty headers so the gain over a base c6 exhaust will be about half of lt's
jonnyc is offline  
Old 03-13-2018, 11:16 AM
  #9  
ssbowtie1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 458
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Default

To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.

Last edited by ssbowtie1; 03-14-2018 at 01:26 AM.
ssbowtie1 is online now  
Old 03-14-2018, 01:12 AM
  #10  
mggray87
CF Senior Member
 
mggray87's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I'l be coming across this issue next year as I'll be up for smog.
mggray87 is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:33 PM
  #11  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,570
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1 View Post
To pass smog you must:

1. Pass the visual
2. Pass the OBD2 plug in test

For #1, you may run into a tech that doesn't know the difference or doesn't care.

For #2, generally aftermarket cats will set off a check engine light for the rear o2 sensors. I've been told that they can be turned off in the tune and still pass, but I can't verify that.
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing
Vette_Fan is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 PM
  #12  
DWillys
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Posts: 444
Thanked 95 Times in 70 Posts
Default

Anything from the cats forward requires an Executive Order (EO) sticker. If it isn't original equipment or have a EO sticker it will fail visual. In fact most smog shops do the visual 1st and if you fail that they won't waste their time on a test.

This tells what vehicles have to be tested and how often:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/smogfaq

Here's the database of EOs. If it isn't here it isn't legal to use in a vehicle on CA roads.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...es/amquery.php

So anyone telling you their long tubes are ok are lying if they aren't in the database. The STAR (smog test) technicians for the most part don't care what you or the manufacturers says. If it doesn't have the EO sticker it fails.
DWillys is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 07:00 PM
  #13  
ssbowtie1
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 458
Thanked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
Wow! Thanks for the replies guys. I thought almost everyone ran LTs It's like the # 2 most popular mod (after the air intake) I mean we have tons of shops in the Bay area that sell/install LTs.

The 2 points you mentioned, about that my focus is on# 2. My understanding was LTs with Hi-flow cats pass smog - otherwise, what's the point of buying them; why not run straight pipes? Almost all the ads and sellers advertise "if you want smog legal you must have hi-flow cats." This is contradicting and confusing
Well some states still do a sniffer test and technically high flow cats will pass the sniffer on a stock cam or close to stock cam (although generally they go bad faster than stock cats).

You may be able to not disable the rear O2 sensors and not set a code, maybe someone with LTs can chime in.

Ideally if you can turn off the rear O2s and still get a ready reading on the sensor, that would be your best bet. I've had tuners tell me it's possible, but I haven't verified it.
ssbowtie1 is online now  
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM
  #14  
ptroxx
CF Senior Member
 
ptroxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Rohnert Park/Sonoma Co. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach
Posts: 12,649
Thanked 209 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.

ptroxx is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 08:53 PM
  #15  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,570
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Just do z06 exhaust and be done with it. No worries about smog

Just passed smog last week.
I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing).
Vette_Fan is offline  
Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM
  #16  
ptroxx
CF Senior Member
 
ptroxx's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Rohnert Park/Sonoma Co. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach
Posts: 12,649
Thanked 209 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Iím talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So thatís not an issue.


Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
I already have the OEM NPP, so I don't think it's worth getting Z06 exhaust, since Labor would be about the same whether I get LTs or Z06 exhaust.

I am more focused on ensuring the sniffer would pass.

Not so worried about the "visual". Looking from top LTs look very much OEM, and there are shops that don't know/care much about visual. Like I said, nobody ever looked under my C5 (although I was all stock, except the Blackwing).
ptroxx is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM
  #17  
Vette_Fan
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Vette_Fan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: Hayward (Bay Area) CA
Posts: 3,570
Thanked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ptroxx View Post
Iím talking full z06 from manifolds to mufflers. It adds HP and sound without worrying about visual.

There is no sniffer anymore for 1999 and newer. So thatís not an issue.
So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making?

Thanks!
Vette_Fan is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 09:53 AM
  #18  
mggray87
CF Senior Member
 
mggray87's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2017
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan View Post
So let me confirm - you're saying 1999+ cars don't get the sniffer pipe in their tail end for exhaust readings? Then how do they smog? What's the process, and how do they read how much smog is a given car making?

Thanks!

obd2 plug in now. No sniffer. Visual and plug in only. All they did on my vette last year
mggray87 is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 05:48 PM
  #19  
chain_5001
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: Sacramento California
Posts: 188
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Last i heard was 2002+ cars get the visual & scanner to check for smog equipment operating. But yes, no tailpipe sniffer test.
chain_5001 is offline  
Old 03-18-2018, 08:37 PM
  #20  
ChrisVette11
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just had my 99 smogged and they hooked me up to the sniffer.
ChrisVette11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone running Long tube headers?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: