Northern California Northern California

Can anyone recommend a good mountain route?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 02:27 AM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Can anyone recommend a good mountain route?

any one have a good route through Oakland Hills or anywhere else in the eastbay? Looking for some good twisties, will have about 5 cars, and will be starting from Richmond. Any recommendations would be great .

never been to Alice’s in woodside so that might be a possibility but wondering if there is anything else a bit closer.

tbanks
Old 06-01-2018, 04:37 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html
Old 06-01-2018, 12:42 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

How long of a driving are you looking for? Any preference for a destination? Are you looking for scenic over twisty? Speed (aka. reasonable speed limit) over twisty (which if really twisty typically has a slow speed limit)? Is there a day of the week, or season, which you'll be doing the drive (e.g. trying to drive on Hwy17 to Santa Cruz or on Hwy1 past Stinson Beach on a warm weekend (like the one upcoming) is just a recipe for traffic.

Without the above info, it's difficult to make more precise suggestion. Off the top of my head, I'd say either head over to Hwy1 North (via Mt Tamalpais) ... or towards Tilden Park/San Pablo Reservoir/Grizzly Peak Blvd/Skyline Blvd (not the same as the other Skyline/Alice's)/Redwood drive (if it's open again)/etc. There are also some nice roads up towards Napa/Lake Berryessa, but it really depends on where you want to finish and how long of a drive you're after.

A bit out of date... and I know a few of these roads are still closed after winder rains... but I useto have a website talking about Bay Area Driving Roads

Last edited by TCorzett; 06-01-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:12 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

It will be Saturday mid day (I know it’s the worst time)

starting point will be in richmond.

i prefer windy/technical with slow to medium speed, but not opposed to faster less technical twisties.

would prefer to state relatively local, within east bay , north Bay, maybe peninsula.

not looking to go as far as Santa Cruz / Monterey etc. just did that drive last week to track at Laguna Seca.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2018, 04:31 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

For something on the peninsula, I've liked these roads:
https://goo.gl/maps/9fg12ssqw462

note: there will be a ton of people in the area... so much more of a "scenic" drive than a "sporty" one... unless it's crazy cold/overcast)

For something in the East Bay:
https://goo.gl/maps/QQtQRnAN69R2

A couple different loops in the East Bay which can be mixed-n-matched depending on how long of a drive you want to do. I will warn that I've not driven these roads in at least a year, so can't confirm they are open or the pavement is of high quality, etc. There is also a very high likelihood of LOTS of bicycles on most of these roads on a weekend.

Wildcat Canyon Rd (through Tilden Park): There will be traffic, and bicycles, so I prefer to do this part going from Eastbound. There is a turnout at "Inspiration Point" and from there it's a short downhill to San Pablo Dam Rd. This can be a fun drive, and the bicycles will be going downhill too, so often do a good job staying out of the way, but it might be worth building-up a little gap in car traffic to have some fun. This can be hit-or-miss though, as a slower car on the road can often happen.

The loop (counter-clockwise) around San Pablo and Briones Reservoiurs is mostly optional, but the roads (in the past) were fairly good and there's a decent speed limit (don't push too far, as I've seen people get tickets in this area).

Grizzly Peak Rd close to Berkeley is residential, so less fun, but further South starts to open-up. There are some great views of the Bay Area from up there. I'd jump on 24 (I believe it's one exit before the tunnel so be ready to jump off quickly)... rather than going back up and through Tilden Park. Continue South (over Hwy24) and take Skyline Blvd... there are more views of the Bay Area from up here, and going Southbound you should be able to find a pull-out without too much difficulty if you're interested in stopping.

Redwood Rd is one of my personal favorites, but has been closed this past winter... so would be worth double-checking it's still open. This part is basically and out-and-back loop to a parking lot for easy turnaround. Be careful near Chabot Park, as I've seen LEO from time-to-time sitting there waiting for people to speed by.

Going Northbound on Redwood Rd turn right onto Pinehurst and enjoy the climb... hopefully there will not be too many cyclists on this climb, as they can interrupt a nice drive. The Northern-most part of Pinehurst gets quite tight/narrow, but the Northbound direction should be in the lane away from the wall, which I prefer... this is a slower section, but has a few cool hairpins.

At this point you'll just be driving on roads you've already done (Grizzly Peak) and back towards more of the residential congestion of Berkeley, so depending on your desired final destination alternative routes might be better... and you'll not be missing anything new.

The starting/ending location on the linked routes is a cool place to see if you've never been there before.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:46 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

We've got lots of nice mountain roads up here in Lake County.

LOOK OUT!!! DEER!!!

Nevermind.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Coupe89
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Back side of Mount Hamilton
Lick Observatory, 7281 Mt Hamilton Rd, Mt Hamilton, CA 95140

Lots of hair pin turns.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

With warmer weather here and school being out watch for bicycle traffic when in the mountains.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:48 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Tcorzett came through with some good routes.

did redwood rd to pinehurst to grizzly peak in the morning - empty and killer

did Tcorzetts recc of lucas valley road (san rafael) to tomales bay - nice drive, mid day so there were some sunday drivers out (on a saturday) and they all refuse to pull over despite having 5 C7 Z06's behind them. had bbq oysters in tomales and headed back down pt reyes rd into petaluma
Old 06-06-2018, 01:31 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default mountain routes

Originally Posted by 97C5driver
any one have a good route through Oakland Hills or anywhere else in the eastbay? Looking for some good twisties, will have about 5 cars, and will be starting from Richmond. Any recommendations would be great .

never been to Alice’s in woodside so that might be a possibility but wondering if there is anything else a bit closer.

tbanks

the one I frequented a lot ( since I lived nearby ), is marsh creek rd.
( clayton ). speed "limit" is 35mph, the longest straight section is only 150-200 yards. it's best to get on it early ( before at least 8:00am ), since their is no legal passing sections and most people respect the speed limit. but if you get lucky and get the road to yourself, you have about 15-20 miles of nice twisty's.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?

LOOK OUT!!! DEER!!!

Nevermind.
I actual like route 16 off 505 up to route 20 and.

Pass through a coupe of very small towns and later run along a river with some nice flowing higher speed turns ending at route 20. One could always come back over Saint Helena very lots of tighter turns and ending in Napa valley and traffic.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:01 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by GotCorvette?

LOOK OUT!!! DEER!!!

Nevermind.
I actual like route 16 off 505 up to route 20.

Pass through a coupe of very small towns and later run along Cache Creek with some nice flowing higher speed turns ending at route 20. One could always come back route 29 over Mt. Saint Helena, lots of tighter turns and ending in Napa Valley. I would recommended Silverado Trail from hear avoiding the route 29 through town, getting you back to route 80.
The following users liked this post:
GotCorvette? (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by cgladish
the one I frequented a lot ( since I lived nearby ), is marsh creek rd.
( clayton ). speed "limit" is 35mph, the longest straight section is only 150-200 yards. it's best to get on it early ( before at least 8:00am ), since their is no legal passing sections and most people respect the speed limit. but if you get lucky and get the road to yourself, you have about 15-20 miles of nice twisty's.
Drove this route lots in the 18 wheeler.

As I remember it was a rough road and not one to pass on.

Nice short cut out the backside of Clayton.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:15 AM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default bay area back roads

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Drove this route lots in the 18 wheeler.

As I remember it was a rough road and not one to pass on.

Nice short cut out the backside of Clayton.

lived in the trailer park out in clayton when I was a wee lad.
felt like it took days to get to town ( when it's only about 15 minutes ).
yea, it's not the best conditioned road, but for a quick fix & it being fairly close by, it serves its purpose.
if you get on it early, you can usually have it yourself.

I love heading out and stumbling upon roads.
we have some great roads all, within an hour or so in from the bay.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM
GotCorvette?
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I actual like route 16 off 505 up to route 20.

Pass through a coupe of very small towns and later run along Cache Creek with some nice flowing higher speed turns ending at route 20. One could always come back route 29 over Mt. Saint Helena, lots of tighter turns and ending in Napa Valley. I would recommended Silverado Trail from hear avoiding the route 29 through town, getting you back to route 80.
My son-in-law commuted that St. Helena route from Lake County to Santa Rosa for over 20 years. 65 miles one way. I did it for about six months in 2001.

Silverado Trail is way better than 29. From Calistoga to Napa the speed limit on 29 changes very often as it passes through towns. You really have to keep an eye out for speed limit signs. Radar speed trap and I bet they nail a lot of wine tasting drunks there too.
The following users liked this post:
bimmerborn (06-09-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Can anyone recommend a good mountain route?

Quick Reply: Can anyone recommend a good mountain route?