Northern California Northern California

Laguna Seca General Camping during Weathertech Races...advice needed

Old 08-26-2018, 09:15 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,309 Likes on 988 Posts
Default Laguna Seca General Camping during Weathertech Races...advice needed

All I could gather is a general camping pass, as all the reserved/premiere/track view camping is sold. I will arrive on Thursday, first thing, so I have that advantage of likely getting some choice. My question is, what should I shoot for, in terms of my best options? I will there in a camper van (class b conversion), so would prefer level of course, but I have a roof deck also. Just wondering what advice someone could give, so I could have target in mind, of what to go after.

I think my concern is, while a spot may look good on Thursday, come race day or the day before, it may be packed or restricted in a weird way, once everyone piles in on Friday or Saturday.

Basically...any OG's or Laguna Seca pros that can lend some insight, I'm all ears!

I am usually a Petit LeMans attendee, but relocating to LV this week, so I'm hittin Monterey!
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

It's been quite a few years since I last car camped there. I was doing photography stuff, so would drive from the campground to the media parking each day (and into town for food) then find another place to park for camping at night. I never had an issue finding someplace to park on Friday/Saturday of ALMS events (for MotoGP events I would get reserved camping and arrive on Wednesday). For general admission camping I'd be in the Turn 9 area (near the showers) in one of the non-reserved spots in the grass. Google street view is actually fairly good for that campground... the grass spots to the north of the showers were my first choice, but all I was doing was sleeping there - I wasn't looking for a view of the track.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:40 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,309 Likes on 988 Posts

Interesting...I would definitely not mind the idea of doing a combination of camping there, touring the area, and then returning...I was just concerned about ending up on a hillside with a lot of angle. Interesting.

Is pch still closed near or around Big Sur? We went from Olympia,Washington to San Diego, Ca on 101 and hwy1 back in 2015...what an epic ride. We'd like to drive some coast though, that'd be nice for sure.
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
Interesting...I would definitely not mind the idea of doing a combination of camping there, touring the area, and then returning...I was just concerned about ending up on a hillside with a lot of angle. Interesting.

Is pch still closed near or around Big Sur? We went from Olympia,Washington to San Diego, Ca on 101 and hwy1 back in 2015...what an epic ride. We'd like to drive some coast though, that'd be nice for sure.
Since I didn't need a level area I was never concerned... and since it was easy for me to move if needed, I'd often park in an open reserved spot when it was obvious that it wasn't being used (most of the time this was on a Saturday night, as some fans left early after the ALMS race Saturday night). I also found myself driving to the permanent shower over by the Turn 5/6 camping area fairly often.

PCH opened south of Big Sur on July 18th.
The following users liked this post:
KnightDriveTV (08-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Laguna Seca General Camping during Weathertech Races...advice needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Laguna Seca General Camping during Weathertech Races...advice needed