Northern California Northern California

Track Day Fatality

Old 10-15-2018, 03:04 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Track Day Fatality

Yesterday, (Sunday 10/14/18) a corner worker at Laguna Seca, tragically lost their life while working to keep those driving on track safe. A vehicle had dumped oil onto the track and following cars lost control resulting in the death of the corner worker at the entry to the corkscrew.

Corner workers are often an under appreciated group. Their sole responsibility is our safety. They receive little in compensation and and often endure 8 hours in very uncomfortable weather conditions. Many have the same passion for motor sports that we do but may not have the privilege to express that passion by driving on the track.

Checkered Flag Racing Association has set up a donation facility for us to show that we do care about those who risk everything for us.

https://www.paypal.com/donate/?token=H6rVanGoO1pt6B3fHHXd0i-A0iIWOLMm3cSoMZlbDmORPKRTspHcRTm0pvak2aa KB72cK0&country.x=US&locale.x=US

Last edited by Charles Gerughty; 10-15-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

Old 10-15-2018, 05:36 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Was sad to hear about this incident yesterday... really puts things into perspective. CFRA is a great group, hopefully they can help gather contributions to support those who support our hobby.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

Reality check. Sorry to hear.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:38 PM
Charles Gerughty
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

When I first heard of this tragedy I mentioned to my wife that I believe the most probable location would be turn 5 or the Corkscrew. In my opinion the corner workers at these locations have little or no protection from oncoming vehicles. As we know now it was the Corkscrew and if you look at the professional photos taken by Got Blue Milk my safety thought process will be verified.

I would think normal protocol would dictate one of several caution flags should have alerted drivers of the oil spill on the track, yet I do not know if this happened.

I fully support the investigation of this incident and if if proper measures were not taken to assure the safety of the workers and the drivers, Laguna Seca Raceway should be held accountable for the death of this worker and the traumatic mental anguish imposed upon the driver(s) involved in the safety crew workers death.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Gerughty
When I first heard of this tragedy I mentioned to my wife that I believe the most probable location would be turn 5
Turn 5 was my first thought as well.

As we know now it was the Corkscrew and if you look at the professional photos taken by Got Blue Milk my safety thought process will be verified.
I've spent quite a bit of time trackside in the corkscrew (back in my photography days) and felt safe in the areas behind the walls/fences. Even more so when they extended the catch fence all the way up driver's right into the corkscrew. I know the flaggers have been known to stand at the end of that wall/fence (rather than behind it)... but I can't speak the the specifics of this incident, as I don't know any of the facts.

I would think normal protocol would dictate one of several caution flags should have alerted drivers of the oil spill on the track, yet I do not know if this happened.
I've been thinking about this one a fair bit, specifically how I would have approached it from a driver's perspective. I'm trying to think where I might have first seen a surface flag... if it would have been the elevated flag tower to driver's left going up the hill (typically manned), or the flag station on driver's right at turn 7 (more of a pro event station I think), or if the first surface flag people would have encountered would have been at the inside of the corkscrew entry (when I'd already be trying to brake into the oil slick).

Regardless, it's been somber thinking... and is a tragic reminder of what others do to allow us to go out and have fun on a track.

Last edited by TCorzett; 10-16-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Day Fatality

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Day Fatality