Northern California Northern California

Anybody tried Skyline Blvd in Northern CA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:26 PM
velocityopen6
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody tried Skyline Blvd in Northern CA?

I took my C7 (base non z51) there today, and I was going maybe about 40-50s, less if it's a sharp turn. I consider myself a pretty average driver. I was really surprised that most people on there with sportier cars are easily going 70+! Obviously I don't know their car's complete specs, nor whether they are stock or modified. So here is my question, let's say hypothetically I want hang with those more experienced drivers, what's a safe speed to do it in the C7 without getting myself in trouble?
Old 12-22-2018, 11:50 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

Skyline is a nice drive but it can be dangerous to speed due to the blind corners. Motorcyclists are occasionally killed when they race on it and in the summer there can be a lot of bicyclists on the road. Our cars can certainly drive it faster than the speed limits but best not to push it beyond what seems reasonable.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:14 AM
TCorzett
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I've never found the speed limits to be "slow" on Skyline. As for keeping up with the other drivers... the best move is to get more experience. Take it to the track, learn what you and your car can really do, and you'll understand how silly it is to drive anywhere near the limits on the street.

Last edited by TCorzett; 12-23-2018 at 12:38 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TCorzett:
aaslanmd (02-25-2019), DUMAN (01-04-2019)
Old 12-23-2018, 12:27 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
Skyline is a nice drive but it can be dangerous to speed due to the blind corners. Motorcyclists are occasionally killed when they race on it and in the summer there can be a lot of bicyclists on the road. Our cars can certainly drive it faster than the speed limits but best not to push it beyond what seems reasonable.
a lot of good points here.

Nice drive though.
Old 12-23-2018, 05:07 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 635 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by TCorzett
I've never found the speed limits to be "slow" on Skyline. As for keeping up with the other drivers... the best move is to get more experience. Take it to the track, learn what you and your car can really do, and you'll understand how silly it is to drive anywhere near the limits on the street.
I would drive it daily in the evening as I worked in Redwood Shores and lived in South San Jose. Rather being in the proverbial cattle drive on 280/85, I was turned onto Skyline/Hwy 9, and found it only added 10 minutes to my total commute.
Did I learn the road, you bet.
Funny story, and here is where an experienced driver versus a less experienced driver makes a difference.
This is no BS, I swear.
Was just coming off of Skyline to Hwy 9 in a 2000 Mustang GT with 225,000 miles on it and the original suspension which was amazingly stiff. I did have an excellent set of oversized Kumo's that were very sticky.
I have a 911 come up behind. I could see it was tubbed and a roll bar... Holy Crap better let this guy get by. Pulled over, and noticed over time he was not that far from me, so I pushed the Mustang and caught up. For the most part I was all over his butt. I lost it on a 90 degree turn just outside of Saratoga. but I am thinking this guy has a monster 911 and no clue what to do with it. Really dude you let a 225,000 mile Mustang GT whip your butt
Got into Los Gatos and I pulled up next to him and acknowledge we had some fun. The guy had two hands on the wheel and would not even look up
Bottom line go to a good school learn the car. As with many cases, me included the driver gives up long before the car will, meaning the car can perform, well beyond what you think it can do.
As Grand Slam says you do have to watch it on the weekends. Many people push the limits on that road well beyond their capabilities and have died.

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 12-23-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts

luckily there a lot of great roads in the immediate bay area ( especially the ones mentioned above ).
the issue that I have with those roads, and most others is the timing.
you need to get on them early otherwise, you end up contending with the cyclist.
my go to road is marsh creek rd. ( starting in clayton heading east towards brentwood. ).
you have about 15-20 miles on turns with the longest stretch about 1/4 mile.
there is no passing 'allowed' ( all solid double yellow ), but if you feel comfortable there are a few spots
to creep around the looky-loo's. great corners, all low speed ( I'd be surprised, and / or impressed ) if you these hit above 50-55mph.
this is where you can hit the high 'G's" on the meter w/o the high mph.
I love heading out on weekends with no where in particular to go, and finding a new stretch to run.
lately though, it's about the wild turkeys!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:09 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Which Skyline Blvd? The one on the Peninsula or the one in the Oakland Hills?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by pkincy
Which Skyline Blvd? The one on the Peninsula or the one in the Oakland Hills?
Doesn't sound like you're joking... Pretty sure he's talking about the one that runs several miles through Half Moon Bay and has its own wiki page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Route_35)...
and not the one mile-ish bend near oakland...
Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

except for cyclist, either one works. I was on redwood rd. ( castro valley to Lafayette ) last weekend.
that is great road too!
for me, the farther north I get, the better the roads get. I cycle as well, but try to avoid common bike routes.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

when I need a quick 'fix', my go to route is marsh creek rd. ( clayton to brentwood ).
hit it early ( before 8:00 am or so ) to avoid traffic. while this is not a heavily traveled road, it is 'only' 35mph.
most people will tend to stick to that pace. if you get it yourself, it's about 15'ish miles of mainly twisties.
the longest straight stretch is less then a 1/4 mile. but if you get one car, it becomes a scenic tour.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:36 PM
LS1Steve
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

I've been on a ton of drives up to Alice's Restaurant on Skyline, via LaHonda road.

Great drive, lots of fun. BUT...

Lead driver NEEDS to be ultra careful because there are a lot of bicyclists on blind turns. Also, there are several areas that have dips in the road, and hitting them at 70+ WILL cause you to bottom out and may damage your front fascia if not ready to brake.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1Steve
I've been on a ton of drives up to Alice's Restaurant on Skyline, via LaHonda road.

Great drive, lots of fun. BUT...

Lead driver NEEDS to be ultra careful because there are a lot of bicyclists on blind turns. Also, there are several areas that have dips in the road, and hitting them at 70+ WILL cause you to bottom out and may damage your front fascia if not ready to brake.
Alice's is THE spot to got to get good food and see nice rides (cars and bikes). The Harley clubs all go there.

Agree abt being careful as bicyclists are allowed to use the whole lane and you have to watch the many blind turns.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:49 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

while it is a bit far from skyline blvd., I've found a lot of roads north of santa rosa, hwy 128 heading east from cloverdale
for example. this eventually connects with hwy 1 near fort bragg. head north on this till you hit legget ( about another 1 hour or so ). hit this on new years day and did see one car ( heading my direction ) the whole way. getting there at 6:30 am helps too.
but I love finding these gems all over the bay and the outlying areas.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:54 PM
Erik Zinn
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by velocityopen6
I took my C7 (base non z51) there today, and I was going maybe about 40-50s, less if it's a sharp turn. I consider myself a pretty average driver. I was really surprised that most people on there with sportier cars are easily going 70+! Obviously I don't know their car's complete specs, nor whether they are stock or modified. So here is my question, let's say hypothetically I want hang with those more experienced drivers, what's a safe speed to do it in the C7 without getting myself in trouble?
I grew up in the Santa Cruz Mountains and I have driven Skyline in all conditions from zero visibility fog to ice and snow to clear and 100 degree air temps. All I can say is stay alert for bicyclists, motorcyclists and most especially deer during the rut. Nothing like coming around a blind curve too fast and jacklighting a deer that is frozen in your lane. The deer will lose and with a low car and sloping hood, you may get real intimate with deer's corpse, if you catch my drift.

How are the potholes on Skyline this winter? They can get pretty grim and swallow a wheel if Public Works doesn't fill them as they develop over the winter.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:04 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

cyclist are always the biggest concern, I've been lucky enough to only come across the occasional turkey ( more & more lately though ).
two weeks ago came across these guys ( north east of ft. bragg ). luckily they let me pa

ss with only a peak over their shoulder. zoom in to get a good feel for their size.
The following users liked this post:
aaslanmd (02-25-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody tried Skyline Blvd in Northern CA?

Quick Reply: Anybody tried Skyline Blvd in Northern CA?