Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?

Notices
Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:47 AM
jeffjob
POSSE Senior Hombre
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13, '17-'18
Default Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?

When I was younger I always wanted a Harley.

Now that I am getting older, (50 next year) and am married, and with the amount of knuckleheads on the road I am saving for a Vette.

I used to ride a bike, (although not a Harley) and I am hoping the Vette will give me that same excitement and feeing of performance.

Has anyone else substituted a Vette for a bike and have you been happy with that choice?

Jeff...
Old 02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
xs650
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm in my 60s and decided it was time to stop riding my sport bike as my reactions slowed down so got a Corvette.

It's not a substitute for a motorcycle, but sure beats driving a mini-van.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Scruff Vette
CF Senior Member

I've ridden bikes since '70 and had Vettes since '83. 11 years ago I sold a '64 coupe (driver in #3 condition) and bought a Heritage Softail. Less than a year later, the softail was sold and I was back in a '68 convertible. Never thought about going back to a bike after that.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:56 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

"Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?"

I did....I just get too tired peddling on those long trips.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
boonewagner
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I will be 50 this year and rode bikes since I was a teenager, but I have been down hard, thanks to idiot drivers, and I don't think my knees could take it again. So I opted for the A6. But that HD is always in the back of my mind.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 PM
LJD51
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; US Army Retired x 2 (70-90 AD) (91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.

Originally Posted by Wayne O View Post
"Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?"

I did....I just get too tired peddling on those long trips.
Bad knees and that tiny little seat poking me in the butt made up my mind to get a Vette...
Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM
vette18
CF Senior Member

I've been a motocrosser since I could walk and had a Ninja on the road too. I thought I could never find anything to match that kind of fun. I can say that I sold the bikes and barely think about them anymore - that is how much fun I have with the vette. The best thing about the vette is that you can use it more often compared to bikes, so that contributes to the enjoyment too. My car is a very comfortable daily driver, but when I want to have some fun it can give you a huge adrenaline rush by mashing the pedal a little harder. I also don't miss all the broken bones the bikes gave me. I say go for the Vette compared to a bike!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
JLAW49

Default Bike

I will be 58 tomorrow - I have the Harley Fat Boy, 98 and 07 Vett and a mooney airplane (fast) - each offers different excitment. We normally ride the bikes with groups of 5 - 10 so there is a little more interaction. All are great!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:08 PM
JJC5
CF Senior Member

Got both; '07 Z51 vert and '05 Harley Road King Custom. Both weekend toys and stress relievers. They are two totally seperate ways to have fun too!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
speedmd
CF Member

I've owned a Honda CBR and a Goldwing and riding a cycle in my metro area is just asking for trouble.

I was thinking about getting another cycle and decided that maybe a vette would be a better fit... I'm so happy I did.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 PM
IC6
CF Senior Member

the way i enjoy using the "go" botton... ... i figured it would be in my best interest to opt for the vette.. i wouldn't be around very long if i got a bike..
Old 02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
JVM225
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06

I wanted a Fat Boy almost as much as I wanted a new Vette. My wife flat out refused to give the green light to a bike. If I had my way I'd have both.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Vet
CF Senior Member

Yes. My C6 was a direct replacement for my bike. After riding powerful bikes for years, it's hard to shake the extreme crave for tremendous throttle response. The C6 does the job nicely... I'm very satisfied.

After riding for many years, cross-country etc, I will say that there is indeed nothing like a fast bike. My last V65 Magna would run 0-60 in about 3 seconds or so... and was a torque monster to boot (big overhead cam V4). That's a thrilling ride to say the least.

However, with the high level of fun a bike provides also comes a host of headaches... not to mention the danger factor. With the C6, when it rains... I put the top on! When it's cold, I turn the heat on! I can run at 85 mph all day long and still have a quiet conversation with my passenger! Can carry a ton of stuff as well.

There is truly no substitute for riding a fast bike, however, to me, the C6 comes close enough. The extra safety and convenience factors pretty much seal the deal, especially these days when I am not as daring and not as willing to be very uncomfortable as I once was as a young punk.

I have ridden bikes all day long in 14 degrees F... I have ridden bikes all day long in heavy downpours... etc... it's exciting, it's challenging... but... what the heck was I thinking?!?!? That type of stuff may seem thrilling, but trust me, it gets old, fast. Those days are over for me... now I jump into my SUPER comfortable, warm, dry C6 and still experience loads of low-end torque and amazing handling.

A little later in life when my responsibilities lessen, I'm sure I'll go back to bikes... and be a bit more choosy about when and where I ride. But for now, the C6 allows for high-performance fun, any time of year, any weather (except for snow), all with extreme comfort and convenience. It's a very good thing!

Side note:
Not too get too off topic, but... I recently test drove a Triumph Rocket at a Corvette show - 2300cc I believe... that is hands down the most thrilling machine I have even driven / ridden... ever. It has the MOST low-mid range throttle response that I could ever even imagine in my wildest dreams. If you want a high-performance thrill that will blow your mind, short of maybe flying a fighter jet, test drive a Triumph Rocket.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:33 PM
c6silverbullet
CF Senior Member

I think if you were to buy a Harley(with the exception of the V-Rods) to replace the C6 in terms of performance, you'll be very disappointed.

Riding a motorcycle and driving a Vette is two totally different types of fun. I cannot substitute one for the other. I sold my last bike(CBR XX) over 2 years ago and have regret doing so since then. That's why I'm eyeing the new Ducati 1098 soon. There's no substitute for a motorcyle, just like there's no substiute for a Corvette
Old 02-07-2007, 12:40 PM
BADC64GO
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

61 and have them both!
Old 02-07-2007, 12:45 PM
jim213
CF Senior Member

I just turned 70 in November and still have both. Two different types of enjoyment.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Gearhead65
CF Senior Member

While both my wife and I were wanting a vette, for me it was in a sense a replacement to a motorcycle.

I was hit by a car 20+ years ago while on a motorcycle. While I healed from the accident, the after effects are just coming back to haunt me. I'm 41 and expect within 5-10 years to require a replacement hip.

I've had motorcycles since the accident...most recent was a ST1100. Great bike, but sold about 5 years ago and retired from the hobby.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:02 PM
oljim49
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by c6silverbullet View Post
I think if you were to buy a Harley(with the exception of the V-Rods) to replace the C6 in terms of performance, you'll be very disappointed.

Riding a motorcycle and driving a Vette is two totally different types of fun. I cannot substitute one for the other. I sold my last bike(CBR XX) over 2 years ago and have regret doing so since then. That's why I'm eyeing the new Ducati 1098 soon. There's no substitute for a motorcyle, just like there's no substiute for a Corvette

Had a guy ask me a while back which I liked better.....my vette or scooter. The only way I could answer was that "it depended on who I was with"! Hope I never have to decide between one or the other but you are absolutely correct......totally different rushes!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:04 PM
VetteR1
CF Senior Member

"Two different types of enjoyment."

I don't have a harley but I do have an Yamaha R1 Raven (Sportbike). You have two group of friends: Vette and Riders. Ride safe brothers!
Old 02-07-2007, 01:09 PM
goatts
CF Senior Member

When I graduated from college and moved here to Florida in 1981 I had been building and riding Harleys and I wanted another bike. When I saw how bad the traffic was I ended up buying a 1982 Vette and then a 1969 with a 454 (restored the car). Today I autox and drag race my C6 and drive it almost daily. It's just as much fun as the bike. I do miss the bike at times but they are too dangerous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone get a Vette instead of a Bike?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: