Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

[JobSeekers look here] RailRoad is growing

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

[JobSeekers look here] RailRoad is growing

Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 AM
nfshotrod
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default [JobSeekers look here] RailRoad is growing

RailRoad Jobs, Norfolk Southern is hiring very aggressively east of the Miss. River. Great job, good pay, great retirement.

https://www1.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...controller.cfm
Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 AM
fugawi
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

but no home life. ask me i know..20 years,3 marriges.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,171 Times in 813 Posts

Great job? I read one of the conductor job descriptions, I love trains but that job sucks ***.

https://www1.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...=13623&esid=az
Old 05-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
Great job? I read one of the conductor job descriptions, I love trains but that job sucks ***.

https://www1.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...=13623&esid=az
Looks like a job for a lone wolf. Definitely not everyone's cup o' tea, that's for sure.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Loco Vette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Loaded like a freight train, flyin' like an aeroplane!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X-XI Blind Cart Auto-X Champ
CI VI Autocross Champ
CI VIII Autocross Champ
CI VIII Cone-killin' champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Good to see jobs coming back!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:47 AM
jfb
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I know two people at work that worked for a railroad. Great pay, great retirement, great benefits, really really crappy dangerous work......they quit.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

After reviewing the comments in the previous threads, I understand why we have so many illegals in the country. The argument that too many natives will not do certain work , even when unemployed or underemployed, appears valid. I guess food is still far too easy to get in this country.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:09 AM
jfb
CF Senior Member

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'll bet there isn't one illegal working on the railroad! Illegals are the only people that will accept $2.75 an hour and no benefits of any kind to bend over for 10 hours each day and pick vegetables in the hot sun.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:09 AM
LT4fun
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
After reviewing the comments in the previous threads, I understand why we have so many illegals in the country. The argument that too many natives will not do certain work , even when unemployed or underemployed, appears valid. I guess food is still far too easy to get in this country.
Are these comments from people who are looking for work? If not then why should their comments reflect the views of unemployed or underemployed Americans? Anyway, I worked for CSX for 6 years. I never saw any illegal working for any railroad.

I'm sure Norfolk Southern will have no problem filling their Conductor trainee positions. The job isn't that strenuous like they make it sound like in the job description.

The rough part about the railroad is being on call all the time with no set schedule and being away from home.

I left the railroad as I had gotten married and got tired of it. The job I have now pays about the same and I'm home every night with weekends off(mostly).

Would I ever work for a railroad again? Yes I would; but I do like having a set schedule, weekends off and sleeping in my own bed every night so unless that changes at my current job, I think I'll stay where I'm at.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Thunder22
CF Senior Member

Liked 1,171 Times in 813 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
Since when are illegals allowed in the BLE, UTU or BRS unions? or any union for that matter?

My comment about the job is because the description says you're on call 24 hours a day with 1.5 hours notice of having to be at work with no set schedule, the pay is ~ $700/week, and you're travelling a lot. That's not a great job, but it doesn't mean that someone won't take it if offered.

If my father were 40 years younger and didn't have a family, he would take this job in a heart beat, it would be his dream job. I know that because I sent him the link yesterday and his reply was "if I were only 40 years younger".
Old 05-02-2010, 10:13 AM
AU Eagle
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11, '14

I agree with the comments above, great for someone that does not have a family.

My dad was an engineer for CSX for 35 years. He is on retirement/disability and draws more than most people working do.

It's the first time in my life that he has really been home and now pretty soon I'll be leaving home once I'm done with school. So we lost a lot of time together, but are closer in these last 5 years than we have ever been.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Rule292
CF Senior Member

Location: Filling the public teat for liberals to suckle off of.
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by nfshotrod View Post
RailRoad Jobs, Norfolk Southern is hiring very aggressively east of the Miss. River. Great job, good pay, great retirement.

https://www1.recruitingcenter.net/Cl...controller.cfm
Bump for a few free all-expense-paid trips to beautiful McDonough GA and some barney bucks for food $$$.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
camaross0002
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will agree with everyone that the railroad is a job for a single person out my class of 19, 10 were married and within 5 years 5 have already be divorced. the hours can suck, long turns away from home, weather conditions, alot of things about the railroad are hard. But there is money to made someone said 700 a week if you take off alot best month ever for me on the rr was a little over 12k and that was before the fra new hours of service came into effect. Yeah made the 12k but didn't take one day off and turned out every 8 hrs on a new job. Which you can't work 365 days a year anymore with the hours of service.

In the job description they make it seem harder than it really is but it is still hard work. The hardest part for me is the rules the companies and fra put on you that you have to remember. which is about 30 pounds of manuals I have to carry on the train at all times and keep updating.

If anyone is looking for a job with the rr keep your eyes open because most railroads will be hiring this summer due to leaving people on the furlough for so long that alot are not coming back when recalled to work. Right now I know ns,up,cn,brc,cp they are all hiring at this point because of the furloughed not coming back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [JobSeekers look here] RailRoad is growing

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: