Sam Adams Beer Glass

Old 05-12-2010, 06:44 PM
JERGENSEN LS3
CF Senior Member

Location: New Jersey - National Corvette Museum Member '08, '09, '10, '11, '12
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a set of 4....1 broke already..

Can't say they change the taste, but they look

Summer Ale would still taste good out of the toilet..
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Fastguy
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
I hear the glass is pretty thick, is that true?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
FEDX
CF Senior Member

Location: A high school diploma fixing what a college degree broke TN
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
I have a few, if they were any thinner the beer would leak out between the molecules.
Best description of that glass yet, I have a couple and I think a glass of any sort makes a difference, whether the uber-thin Sam Adams glass is all its hyped to be I don't know but the laser ring is cool.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM
yellowvette837
CF Senior Member

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by mojo1 View Post
I hear the glass is pretty thick, is that true?
nope...
Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Pigface1 View Post

Originally Posted by 7vettes View Post
Where can I get one?............ I want to be the yard glass noob who splashes beer on my shirt
Edited for the cold wet facts
Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 AM
EHS
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by N8sFavToy View Post
Funny that both of you haven't tried them, but agree they won't make a difference.
Nathan "G" --

There are a lot of things I haven't tried that I know won't make a difference. Nothing funny about it.

Knowledge comes from experience.

Something I have in spades with both glass and beer.

One look at the that glass (if you have the experience, and it sounds like you don't), and I can tell you it won't make a difference.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
I believe in the Beer Fairy

The bottom of the glass is etched creating more surface area and nucleation sites for the CO2 to come out of the beer. That is, it's intended to make your beer bubble and give you the aroma of the beer. Since CO2 is heavier than "air" it sinks, the shape of the glass is supposed to hold that aroma/CO2 once it comes out of solution.

Does it work, I don't know. I think a regular snifter would do pretty much the same thing.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM
Red99SS
CF Senior Member

Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

Don't count out the glass as having a pretty serious effect on the beer. This one is likely just a gimmick, but having the proper glassware for a good beer is very important.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Pigface1
CF Senior Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by 7vettes View Post
Where can I get one............
Seems like a lot of places used to serve yards, but I haven't seen one in a while.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Fastguy
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Most packies (liquor stores for you non-MA types) get them as promotional deals so if you are a regular, ask your local guy if you can have a few.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:12 PM
N8sFavToy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS View Post
Nathan "G" --

There are a lot of things I haven't tried that I know won't make a difference. Nothing funny about it.

Knowledge comes from experience.

Something I have in spades with both glass and beer.

One look at the that glass (if you have the experience, and it sounds like you don't), and I can tell you it won't make a difference.
So you're saying it will taste exactly the same as it would from a bottle? May not make a big difference as opposed to other glasses but doesn't mean it won't make a difference. I think that beer tastes better in a glass, and shape of the glass does come into play. But I've never used the one with the laser etching, and that is why i didn't comment on the glass.

And glad to see that you can read my profile
Old 05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
EHS
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So you're saying it will taste exactly the same as it would from a bottle? May not make a big difference as opposed to other glasses but doesn't mean it won't make a difference. I think that beer tastes better in a glass, and shape of the glass does come into play. But I've never used the one with the laser etching, and that is why i didn't comment on the glass.

And glad to see that you can read my profile
Nate --

Where did I suggest that beer from a bottle tastes the same as beer from a glass?

This whole thread is about whether a particular shape of glass, or maybe a logo-ed one, makes a difference.

Of course beer tastes better in a glass than out of the can or bottle, but (within reason) -- the general shape of the glass, or a particular logo, will not impact the taste of the beer.

BTW -- FWIW -- beer tastes best out of a glass mug -- 1 liter in size, faceted, with a blue bishop's crook logo embedded in it, while seated on a long, narrow wooden bench at a long narrow wooden table located at approximately 48.13 N, 11.55 E.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:01 PM
N8sFavToy
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nate --

Where did I suggest that beer from a bottle tastes the same as beer from a glass?

This whole thread is about whether a particular shape of glass, or maybe a logo-ed one, makes a difference.

Of course beer tastes better in a glass than out of the can or bottle, but (within reason) -- the general shape of the glass, or a particular logo, will not impact the taste of the beer.

BTW -- FWIW -- beer tastes best out of a glass mug -- 1 liter in size, faceted, with a blue bishop's crook logo embedded in it, while seated on a long, narrow wooden bench at a long narrow wooden table located at approximately 48.13 N, 11.55 E.

Neither post before really said what you meant. The first was extremely vague could have been taken a few different ways since you didn't elaborate at all, and that's all I was commenting on.

And that's the Munich Hofbräuhaus right?
Old 05-13-2010, 05:24 PM
TA
CF Senior Member

Liked 97 Times in 67 Posts

Old 05-13-2010, 05:30 PM
EHS
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Neither post before really said what you meant. The first was extremely vague could have been taken a few different ways since you didn't elaborate at all, and that's all I was commenting on.

And that's the Munich Hofbräuhaus right?
Actually, here:

And this is what it looks like inside:

Best way to drink beer.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Tim2K4Vert
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's where you're wrong. Taken directly from BeerAdvocate

Glassware for Beer

So what's in a beer glass? Hopefully beer, but there's much more to be found. Though some beer novices say "the vast majority of glassware is just marketing," this couldn't be further from the truth. As BeerAdvocates, we feel that beer drinkers deserve better than this. So here's the real deal ...

Sure, there's a marketing component to beer glassware, but one only needs to look beyond the branding to discover that something bigger is taking place. As soon as the beer hits the glass, its color, aroma and taste is altered, your eye candy receptors tune in, and your anticipation is tweaked. Hidden nuances, become more pronounced, colors shimmer, and the enjoyment of the beer simply becomes a better, more complete, experience.

Still think it's just marketing? Well the sophomoric pun "head is good" has a mature side. Scientific studies show that the shape of glassware will impact head development and retention. Why is this important? The foam created by pouring a beer acts as a net for many of the volatiles in a beer. What's a volatile? Compounds that evaporate from beer to create its aroma, such as hop oils, all kinds of yeast fermentation byproducts like alcohol, fusels and fruity esters, spices or other additions. So a glass that promotes a healthy foam head may enhance the trapping of certain volatiles. And as varying levels of head retention and presentation are desired with different styles of beers, different styles of glassware should be used accordingly. Presentation marries science.

So which glassware do you use? The answer can often be overwhelming. In Europe, especially Belgium, each brand of beer will often have its own glass. In fact, some breweries have been known to engineer the glass before the beer, and many bars will also stock unique glassware for every brand of beer they serve, which could be hundreds or thousands. And while it's always a good idea to use glassware designed by the brewery for a specific brand of beer, sometimes this is not an option. But fret not! We've complied a quick guide of recommended glassware that will cover most beers and arm you with a very versatile arsenal of glassware.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM
70BBvert
CF Senior Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Best way to drink beer.
That I'll agree with
Old 05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
CoolVette86
CF Senior Member

Location: Partying with the Cowboys cheerleaders in Mt. Olive, New Jersey
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TA View Post
I love Guinness!

Great read there, Tim2K I always get my beer in a glass if I can. I have a set of pub-style Guinness glasses, I'm looking to get another set, with more of high-ball-ish curves. If that makes any sense.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM
EHS
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim2K4Vert View Post
That's where you're wrong. Taken directly from BeerAdvocate
No Tim, I'm right, and I'm glad you quoted that to prove it.

Nowhere in that quote does it say the glass shape affects the taste of the beer.

I had assumed the OP was looking into whether the taste is affected.

Your quote only deals with the presentation, specifically how the beer foams. As does the rest of that web site article (briefly skimmed). That's of course, if you think Beer Advocate is the authority on all things beer, which it clearly is not. And their reviews of the beers prove it. Now, were you to quote Michael Jackson, that would be different.

But thank you for making a good point, i.e., that the shape does not change the taste.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:01 PM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 529 Times in 350 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

we have:

6 Stella Artois 23oz glasses
2 Blue Point pint glasses
1 Sam Adams pint glass
2 Sam Adams 25th Anniv glasses
2 8oz St Arnold brewery glasses

we are running out of room I think we are going to just switch over to beer glasses the hell with the regular stuff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sam Adams Beer Glass

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: