Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Let's go racin', come on [Pastrana/Youtube]

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Let's go racin', come on [Pastrana/Youtube]

 
Old 01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
  #21  
Drew M
CF Senior Member
 
Drew M's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 29,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5iveRacer View Post
Interesting how it is Pastrana/Waltrip Racing instead of the other way around.

Can you say ......."Buy-a-Ride"

Let's see how excited he is when he's decorating the concrete or when he's running in 35th place every race.
You know what percentage of 'professional' race car drivers are buying rides? ~95%. The only drivers who arent buying rides are factory drivers and big names. Every other team in the world requires a driver to either bring a sponsorship or their own money. There's no such thing as arrive and drive for free for a non-factory driver.

Travis did exactly that. He happens to have one of the best sponsors in the world.

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 View Post
Nah, I didn't see the monster truck thing. He seems to be one of those guys with a natural talent operating any type of vehicle.
He does. I kind of wish he had gotten into sports cars like ALMS, but thats just my personal preference. I think he enjoys entertaining people as much as he enjoys motorsports. He used to draw crowds in motox and x games long before red bull picked him up.
Drew M is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM
  #22  
MsNatural
CF Senior Member
 
MsNatural's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pigface1 View Post


Great post! Thank you. I can't wait to see him race, he's got the guts to try anything and has no fear.......talent in a cup car remains to be seen. But, he's about the nicest driver I've ever met and I hope he brings some life back into a declining series! Wonder if this means his Rally career is over now???
MsNatural is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 PM
  #23  
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
You know what percentage of 'professional' race car drivers are buying rides? ~95%. The only drivers who arent buying rides are factory drivers and big names. Every other team in the world requires a driver to either bring a sponsorship or their own money. There's no such thing as arrive and drive for free for a non-factory driver.

I remember a time when talent got you a ride.................................

C5iveRacer is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM
  #24  
JRD77VET
CF Senior Member
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Zionsville, PA NRA Life Member
Posts: 25,781
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10
Default

Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
.......................



He does. I kind of wish he had gotten into sports cars like ALMS, but thats just my personal preference. I think he enjoys entertaining people as much as he enjoys motorsports. He used to draw crowds in motox and x games long before red bull picked him up.
He's going to draw an entirely new crowd to nascar. I hope he does well
JRD77VET is offline  
Old 01-07-2011, 10:32 PM
  #25  
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
He does. I kind of wish he had gotten into sports cars like ALMS, but thats just my personal preference.
Moto-x > Rally Cars> Monster Trucks = ALMS? I don't think so

ALMS has some of the most talented ROAD RACERS in the world. I seriously doubt any of them came from Monster Trucks or Moto-x.
C5iveRacer is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:27 AM
  #26  
cmb396
CF Senior Member
 
cmb396's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2001
Location: West "By God" Virginia
Posts: 6,286
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 View Post


When did they get into Formula 1? Was that before or after Nascar?

I bet they would be a fun company to work for. Would have to think that they are pretty modern adn forward thinking. They have to be one hell of a fast growing company.
They were into IRL when I started for them in 03, and had been for a little while I think. They just got into Nascar in 07??

Funny thing about Red Bull, it's a private owned company by a former toothpaste salesmen. But they are into all the leading edge sports events, like the stunt plane events, extreme sports, and other crazy chit.
They did a MotoX race once underground thru mines that had been dug. They also did a underground white water kayak race type thing when I was working for them, that was pretty crazy!!
cmb396 is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 AM
  #27  
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cmb396 View Post
They were into IRL when I started for them in 03, and had been for a little while I think. They just got into Nascar in 07??

Funny thing about Red Bull, it's a private owned company by a former toothpaste salesmen. But they are into all the leading edge sports events, like the stunt plane events, extreme sports, and other crazy chit.
They did a MotoX race once underground thru mines that had been dug. They also did a underground white water kayak race type thing when I was working for them, that was pretty crazy!!
Red Bull knows who has the disposable income. Single males in the 21-35 range. That's their target audience. That's why this Pastrami guy is creating so much buzz.

Once a guy gets married, has a house, kids etc, the disposable income starts going toward buying furniture and mini vans and saving for college!
C5iveRacer is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 12:32 PM
  #28  
cbonsall
CF Senior Member
 
cbonsall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: Port Richey Fl
Posts: 10,378
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Default

never heard of this guy, off to google land.
cbonsall is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 PM
  #29  
Drew M
CF Senior Member
 
Drew M's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2002
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 29,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5iveRacer View Post
Moto-x > Rally Cars> Monster Trucks = ALMS? I don't think so

ALMS has some of the most talented ROAD RACERS in the world. I seriously doubt any of them came from Monster Trucks or Moto-x.
Patrick Dempsey is doing quite well in the Grand-Am series. Who's to say Pastrana can't do well? Certainly not you.
Drew M is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 12:38 PM
  #30  
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
Patrick Dempsey is doing quite well in the Grand-Am series. Who's to say Pastrana can't do well? Certainly not you.
What's your definition of "quite well"?

Finishing a race is not my definition of "quite well"

And I'm not saying Pastrana can't do well. But I'm not ready to put a NASCAR crown on his head like some people are.

I equate the Pastrana mania to that of Danica Patrick last year. We all saw how that turned out!

NASCAR is turning into a freak show at a carnival..................
C5iveRacer is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM
  #31  
JPS2345
CF Senior Member
 
JPS2345's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Knoxville,TN Go Vols!
Posts: 1,638
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

With all the snow, I was expecting to see this
JPS2345 is offline  
Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM
  #32  
MsNatural
CF Senior Member
 
MsNatural's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
With all the snow, I was expecting to see this
I was thinking roll over or something, not flying deer, damn.
MsNatural is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 10:47 AM
  #33  
TLGunman
CF Senior Member
 
TLGunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,588
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5iveRacer View Post
What's your definition of "quite well"?

Finishing a race is not my definition of "quite well"
Is contending for wins equate to "quite well"? The 40 car hasn't won a race yet, but they have had respectable showings. The 41 sister car has been on the podium. Dempsey is respected in the paddock as a driver too, not as a rich guy that is paying for a seat, trust me, there are plenty that are viewed in that respect.
TLGunman is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 10:54 AM
  #34  
TLGunman
CF Senior Member
 
TLGunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,588
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cjlaw73 View Post
When did they get into Formula 1? Was that before or after Nascar?

I bet they would be a fun company to work for. Would have to think that they are pretty modern adn forward thinking. They have to be one hell of a fast growing company.
Red Bull F1 and Toro Roso started racing in 2005, and it took them 5 seasons to win a championship. Red Bull Racing Team (NASCAR) was started in 2006, one year later.

Keep in mind, Red Bull doesn't have money in Pastrana/Waltrip Racing. Travis is a Red Bull athlete, but that's not funding his NASCAR venture. If Red Bull wanted to fund the entire deal, it would be run out of the Red Bull shops, like Cole Whitt's K&N series car last year.
TLGunman is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
  #35  
Lochnar
CF Senior Member
 
Lochnar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 1,102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cbonsall View Post
never heard of this guy, off to google land.
Watch Nitro Circus on MTV2
Lochnar is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 11:42 AM
  #36  
C5iveRacer
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2010
Location: My brain is on that ^ beach........my body is elsewhere!
Posts: 1,754
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TLGunman View Post
Keep in mind, Red Bull doesn't have money in Pastrana/Waltrip Racing. Travis is a Red Bull athlete, but that's not funding his NASCAR venture.
I'm still unclear on something. Doesn't Waltrip own the team? Shouldn't his name be first? Or did Pastrana buy him out?
C5iveRacer is offline  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:42 PM
  #37  
TLGunman
CF Senior Member
 
TLGunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,588
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C5iveRacer View Post
I'm still unclear on something. Doesn't Waltrip own the team? Shouldn't his name be first? Or did Pastrana buy him out?
Michael Waltrip Racing (MWR), is owned by Mike and Rob Kaufmann, and runs the 56 and 00 in Sprint Cup.

Diamond-Waltrip Racing, ran the 00 and 99 in the Nationwide series, is(was?) owned by Mikey, and Gary Bechtel.

Pastrana-Waltrip Racing is a separate team/business, owned by Mikey, Travis, and Gary Bechtel.

All operate(d) out of the MWR shop.
TLGunman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's go racin', come on [Pastrana/Youtube]


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: