Electricians in the house--transfer switch install costs? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Electricians in the house--transfer switch install costs?

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #41
jmc12
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO VETTE View Post
Update: based on our house configuration and the generator I bought (8k watt portable), our electrician's going to do a transfer switch that will feed specific critical circuits on each floor (heat, fridge, a few lights, etc). He said something about it being a 3 way switch, or something to that effect, with a built-in cord that the generator will just plug into (the 30 amp cord).

We talked about a more elaborate system (he's also a Generac dealer), but the price tag can climb fast.

Am finding that a 100 year old house can certainly have its challenges....

You need this.. http://www.interlockkit.com/
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

I dunno if that'll pass the codes here in town, plus as an added twist I'm in a 2 family house with two separate panels. The transfer switch will go to feed certain circuits on both floors. The switch he plans on installing is about $400 +/-.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc12 View Post
Old 02-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #43
jmc12
CF Senior Member

Quote:
I dunno if that'll pass the codes here in town, plus as an added twist I'm in a 2 family house with two separate panels. The transfer switch will go to feed certain circuits on both floors. The switch he plans on installing is about $400 +/-.
I am sure it would pass code, but I am no electrician... What I don't under stand is you have two panels, and the switch is going to feed certain circuits on both floors, what does one panel have to do with the other?? Do you have two meters or only one??
Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #44
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

good question and i shoulda mentioned that. yep, two meters, two panels, separate systems.

Quote:
I am sure it would pass code, but I am no electrician... What I don't under stand is you have two panels, and the switch is going to feed certain circuits on both floors, what does one panel have to do with the other?? Do you have two meters or only one??
Old 02-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #45
jmc12
CF Senior Member

Quote:
good question and i shoulda mentioned that. yep, two meters, two panels, separate systems.

Of course you are going to do what you want to, but what the http://www.interlockkit.com/ system does, it allows you to pick what breakers you want on and when.. That is much better then having to pick what ones you want to run when you are on the Gen. power and can only run those.. This way you can run light's and stuff, water heater and water pump I have two, and then turn those breakers off and run the stove if you like or what ever.. I just like the idea of picking any breaker I want to have on..
Old 02-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #46
RubberBill
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught

Quote:
Of course you are going to do what you want to, but what the http://www.interlockkit.com/ system does, it allows you to pick what breakers you want on and when.. That is much better then having to pick what ones you want to run when you are on the Gen. power and can only run those.. This way you can run light's and stuff, water heater and water pump I have two, and then turn those breakers off and run the stove if you like or what ever.. I just like the idea of picking any breaker I want to have on..
Same with the unit in Post #10. Mine has 10 breakers so I can pick and choose. Of Course the priority ones are the well so we can poop and the furnace so we can stay warm.
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #47
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

gotcha. the way we (or rather, the electrician) was envisioning the setup is we'd pick in advance which circuits get to live, and which ones will starve during power outage. with only an 8k generator, we won't have many options anyway....

i'll ask him about the interlock setup though. thanks!

Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #48
crf311
CF Senior Member

check out these
http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm
easy to install, disconnects you from the power company when you plug in
Old 02-03-2011, 08:12 PM   #49
jeff79'
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10

Quote:
gotcha. the way we (or rather, the electrician) was envisioning the setup is we'd pick in advance which circuits get to live, and which ones will starve during power outage. with only an 8k generator, we won't have many options anyway....

i'll ask him about the interlock setup though. thanks!
You could run your entire house on an 8000 watt generator...The surge is the issue. Even with the furnace, and well pump surge happening at the same time, an 8000 watt generator will handle it. Remember one thing...Not all electrical things will be on, therefore 8000 watts will handle a furnace or 2, if you have two, a fridge, or two, if you have two, a well pump if you have one, and multiple circuits of lights, and receptacles throughout the house.
I like the 2 furnaces,(one boiler, one forced air) on, the entire kitchen (fridge, and outlet circuits), my office for computer and TV and lights, and the back bedroom light circuits. That's 6 circuits...Everything is covered, that I really need. I have a 6500 watt Honda which handles that no problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #50
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

that's good to know.

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff79' View Post
You could run your entire house on an 8000 watt generator...The surge is the issue. Even with the furnace, and well pump surge happening at the same time, an 8000 watt generator will handle it. Remember one thing...Not all electrical things will be on, therefore 8000 watts will handle a furnace or 2, if you have two, a fridge, or two, if you have two, a well pump if you have one, and multiple circuits of lights, and receptacles throughout the house.
I like the 2 furnaces,(one boiler, one forced air) on, the entire kitchen (fridge, and outlet circuits), my office for computer and TV and lights, and the back bedroom light circuits. That's 6 circuits...Everything is covered, that I really need. I have a 6500 watt Honda which handles that no problem.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #51
jrsmoore

Quote:
Am looking at getting a transfer switch installed so I can run a portable generator in case things go to hell & a handbasket.

I have all new service & circuit panels installed (just within the past month), but we never discussed a TS as it wasn't really on the mind.

I'm looking at the parts and it looks like ~$300-400 or so for the switch itself. Is installation difficult, and about what would I expect to pay in terms of project cost (or would it be per hour)?
I found a switch kit at Home Depot for $289, Included everything needed, breakers, wiring, outside outlet and the cord to plug in to your generator. Is good for generators up to 8000 running watts.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #52
jmc12
CF Senior Member

A 6 year old thread.. Can you say noob...
Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM   #53
TJay74
CF Senior Member

Holy heck, who in the hell bumped this Ghost from Christmas past back up to the top?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #54
jmc12
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
Holy heck, who in the hell bumped this Ghost from Christmas past back up to the top?

Mr. jrsmoore with one post..
Old 12-29-2016, 01:07 AM   #55
SLO VETTE
CF Senior Member

Clearly, I ask questions that are timeless.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:32 AM   #56
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '17

Name:  ThreadNecro_zpsvrfpqqrk.gif
Views: 303
Size:  22.7 KB
Old 12-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #57
LarryMJones
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Apparently some code officials are interpreting the standby power code that if you are home monitoring the generator they will allow a breaker feeding the generator, and a locking main panel. The generator can be on a weather proof outlet or hardwired to the panel.

Just throw your main turn on the generator breaker and lock off the panel. You may want to switch off any breakers that your generator can't handle like the electric dryer, or air conditioning condensing unit.

I have a couple friends with this setup both installed by a licensed electrician and approved by the city inspector. I know cause I lost a bet telling them it was not allowed.

The cost of this is almost nothing just a new breaker for the panel and a outdoor outlet.

May not be legal in some stated but meets NEECA here.
LJ
Old 12-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #58
Tact
Law Dawg Moderator
CF St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Quote:
A 6 year old thread.. Can you say noob...
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Electricians in the house--transfer switch install costs?
  •  

Closed Thread