Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Body of Missing Boy Found [OKC tornadoes]

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Body of Missing Boy Found [OKC tornadoes]

Old 05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Pigface1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08
Default Body of Missing Boy Found [OKC tornadoes]

"As devastating tornadoes ripped through Oklahoma Tuesday afternoon a Piedmont mother did what we are all taught to do. Catherine Hamil hid in a bathtub with her 3 young children to wait out the storm. Unfortunately nowhere in this family's home was safe as the tornado tore it apart. 3 year old Ryan Hamil was ripped form his mothers arms and is still missing almost 24 hours later. As we all know now the mother who is expecting their 4th child is in critical condition and 15 month old Cole did not survive. There is also another child, Kathleen (5) who is in serious condition. Please pray that searchers find little Ryan safe and that he is not in harms way."

A couple buddies have been working rescue out there. With all the chemicals, etc, that are all over the place, the dogs probably missed the body. They found him this morning. I can't even imagine. Our neighbor, one friend, my wife, me, and our 4 dogs got in our shelter, but this monster and other tornadoes threaded around where we were. Many others were not as fortunate. Really heartbreaking.

Here is the Facebook page for them:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Pr...103205?sk=info
Old 05-26-2011, 12:44 PM
KWIL
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
HighRoadNeece
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Old 05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Craq
CF Senior Member

Sheese...I heard a story this morning about a kid that was leaving his graduation and was sucked through the sunroof of his car, he's still missing. This is tough stuff.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Pigface1
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08

We're fortunate more aren't dead. Everyone learned a lot from the May 3, 1999 outbreak and there's no question it saved lives. This family dead everything right, interior bathtub, mattress over them, etc. Once they get to a certain size, though, only an underground shelter will help, or sometimes a safe room.

They say God never gives someone more than they can handle, but man, I can't imagine being this mother.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM
OregonC6
CF Senior Member

So sad....the mother did what she could. I was raised in the upper midwest and remember the terror of having tornado weather. Back then there was little warning compared to today. Like most all homes where we lived we had a basement. That's where we went during storm warnings. Sometimes we'd spend entire nights down there sleeping while the weather raged above. Our home was never hit but it was close at times.

In my mid teens my parents moved the family to the "giant metroplex" of DFW. Our new home there was in a subdivision that was formerly rangeland....rocky with little soil and limestone close below the surface.

Our home was built on a concrete slab. We've all seen many of these "slabs" recently on news coverage of the recent and continuing tornadoes. The tornado comes through and what is frequently left is a slab swept clean....the house entirely "gone".

It was many years ago that we moved south. However, I still remember as a teenager wondering what we would do, what we were expected to do if a tornado came through since we had no basement refuge. "Get into the bathtub" was the best advice. Back then bathtubs were made of cast iron. Today many are made from fiberglass....you do the math on that one!

I understand that today many of the more expensive homes in "no basement" land have "safe rooms" built of steel reinforced concrete. Good idea. Last night on the national news there was a story about a man who had built a reinforced "safe room" in his retirement dream home.

The home was demolished. He led the news reporter and their camera into his safe room. It was perfectly undamaged. He survived a direct hit because of his preparation.

So, I'm saying that while it's tragic to hear of loss of life especially children, I cannot help but ask myself what people in tornado alley are thinking when they live in homes without basement, without the "old fashioned storm cellars", without anywhere that is really safe to take refuge.

Back when I was a child adults took the risk of tornadoes much more seriously I think. Today it's more of a situation of playing the odds and hoping you won't be hit.

Out here in the Pacific Northwest we face a gigantic earthquake. Almost everyone including our elected officials and safety officials are playing the odds as well......betting that the "big one" won't happen in their lifetimes. So, our emergency preparations, building codes, building permits etc etc etc reflect a very lax attitude toward the risk.

I wish that young mother had had a "storm cellar" in the backyard in which to take refuge during the storm.....like her grandmother or great grandmother "out on the farm" would have had. We have our electronic toys, we have communication, we have emergency medicine and helicopter transport.....we have so much more than 100 years ago to help up survive monster storms......yet, in truth, facing a killer tornado, most of the people in tornado alley are less well prepared than they would have been out on the farm in the 1890s.

Last edited by OregonC6; 05-26-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-26-2011, 01:16 PM
BSeery
CF Senior Member

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

If I lived back in the mid-west I would be getting a safe room or a tornado shelter installed. The tornadoes seem to be increasing in count and severity and moving into the south more often.
Here in Richmond I don't think it's a problem, but if I was living any where between South Dakota and the Mexico boarder, and from Texas back east through Georgia and back up north to Indiana I would be digging the hole for the shelter now.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:21 PM
J S Machine
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Man that is hard to read. The stories like this that get me the most are of kids. I can't imagine a storm taking my baby away from me, much less anything else. Prayers sent for this lady and her family.

I saw a story last night from Joplin, MO where a girl and her boyfriend were in a tub, and he was on top of her trying to protect her as the house was torn apart. In the middle of it, he sustained a major back wound from some flying debris. He didn't survive but he did his job of protecting his S/O and she survived
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Scratch
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

Old 05-26-2011, 01:42 PM
LT4POWR
CF Senior Member

So sad! ....and like Piggy, I was also below ground and thankfully all family and close friends were uneffected. Since May 3rd, and more recently Joplin & Alabama...I'm not taking these things lightly anymore!
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 PM
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Large culverts, dirt berms and reinforced latchers on doors would have saved a lot of people. But we don't do that.

In my youth, we had a root cellar on the farm that often provided cover when the severs storms came around. It was a shallow hole, a framework and many pounds of GA red clay on the sides and top. It had a heavy door that could be secured from either side.

So why don't the folks in TOrnado alley play ahead? The answer is, "What, me worry?".
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,916 Times in 3,427 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Prayers for all those affected by this terrible series of storms.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:21 PM
coolcat
CF Senior Member

Here's video of this mornings press conference in which the father
of the missing boy makes a brief statement.

It's so heartbreaking.

After clicking on the link below, scroll down the page
and click on the video titled "Family Reacts To Death."

http://www.koco.com/news/28032832/detail.html
Old 05-26-2011, 02:25 PM
LT4POWR
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1Patriot View Post
So why don't the folks in TOrnado alley play ahead? The answer is, "What, me worry?".
Dude, seriously, get outta here with that ****.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM
coolcat
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT4POWR View Post
Dude, seriously, get outta here with that ****.

Dude needs to attend some sensitivity classes.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 PM
GottahavaVette
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Here's video of this mornings press conference in which the father
of the missing boy makes a brief statement.

It's so heartbreaking.

After clicking on the link below, scroll down the page
and click on the video titled "Family Reacts To Death."

http://www.koco.com/news/28032832/detail.html
That was hard to watch; I cannot even imagine that man's pain.

Prayers for his wife and little girl.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body of Missing Boy Found [OKC tornadoes]

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: