Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSA outrage

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #21
jerryjfunk
CF Senior Member

I only fly a couple times a year, but each and every time I am just dumbfounded at what we as a society allow our government to put us through in order to get on a plane. If any of it made sense I would be fine, but it doesn't.

We take off our shoes, because one guy once tried to light an explosive he kept in his shoe. We single out the elderly and kids and white people so that we can make sure we aren't being racist... even though we all understand that there's a 99% chance that a terrorist attempting to blow something up will be Middle Eastern.

The whole thing is a joke, and we are the idiots who play along.
jerryjfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
jerryjfunk
CF Senior Member

Also, I understand that flying isn't a right. All I'm asking for is some common sense in the ways we try to protect our citizens.
jerryjfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
65Z01
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Quote:
The TSA are the terrorists..
And anyone who flies pays for and supports them and their draconian tactics.

Quote:
The TSA & "Homeland Security" were the single biggest victories for the terrorists. Homeland Security significantly reduced our freedoms while costing us about $60 Billion per year and growing.
Certainly freedom & dignity are not valued in this country and so we no longer have them...

Quote:
The whole thing is a joke, and we are the idiots who play along.
Yep, every time someone flies they support our out-of-control gov.

Last edited by 65Z01; 05-03-2012 at 09:01 AM.
65Z01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #24
Tormania
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Just outrageous!!

One of the reasons this Xmas we'll be driving the 1000 miles (each way) to see my parents. Not to mention that airfare has gotten freaking ridiculously expensive!

Last time we flew in 2011 our son was 1 yr old and they confiscated some sealed jar baby food, even though the 2 jars we had was easily allowable per everything we had researched. BS!!!

Just another thing that pisses me off is there are no uniform standards for the TSA as ALL. Even at the same damn airport what was safe to take through 30 times before is now contraband and it's confiscated. And you can't even decide to go put it back in your car or even chose to take another flight later that day, those are all considered red flags.

I used to love to fly places (not that I got to go all that often), but now I dread it every time it is necessary.

PS - you need to report this to the TSA and contact your local media as well as the Tampa media as well. That is all we innocent citizens can do to fight back anymore.
Tormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
Markm10431
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

i swear i refuse to fly ever again
Markm10431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #26
EdsC6Z06
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08-'10

The airport security checks are incredibly demeaning and, at times, outrageous. Common sense and rational thought don't factor in. The terrorists have truly won. Sorry for your parent's ordeal.
EdsC6Z06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

It's probably a good idea to report it through proper channels first....but 5 minutes after that you should call every TV station and newspaper in Tampa and your home town about it. Video of your father crying on TV...and asking for his dogtags back would cause a huge response...as it should.

Even a homemade video posted on Youtube and linked so people can find it could go viral and help his cause for recovery of the tags.
RandolphB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #28
Bondami
CF Senior Member
St. Jude '13

Location: Southside of Western Norte Americano State of Confusion, ColoFornia

Privatizing it isnt such a hot deal either.. those "rent a cops" were useless before the .GOV stepped in.. now the are abusive goons. there has to be a better answer.

Oh wait..how about actually LOOKING for people who would blow stuff up instead of harrassing people who can barely f'n walk.. the PC world screams your profiling!.. truth is it aint the AARP crowd blowing stuff up now is it?
Bondami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #29
wheelswithinwheels
CF Senior Member

Thanks friends, for your advice, support and kind words. I will send the link to this page to my parents. I think it will help my father to accept this criminally unnecessary loss. He is trying what he can to see if they can still be located. We all realize it will be futile. Nobody cares.

My parents are sentimental people. My father is taking this hard.
wheelswithinwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #30
65Z01
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran

Quote:
That is all we innocent citizens can do to fight back anymore.
The only thing that will really "work" is for enough people to refuse to fly and make it publically know why; but that will never happen, not in this country.
65Z01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #31
knewblewkorvette
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17

I think it's they took your Dad's dog tags. They are something a Vet cherishes.
When I went through combat training, they taught use always to keep them separated. One around the neck and the other under the boot laces. One guy ask why and the response was "for identification". Still puzzled, the guy asks again why. The response was "when you get blown apart, it doubles the chances of identifying you". From that day forward, I always kept my dog tags apart.
Chances are your Dad will never see the tags again no matter what he does, that sux. In no way will this replace the feelings your Dad had for his dog tags but it might just help a little. I did a quick internet search and found several places that manufacture military dog tags.

http://www.dogtagsonline.com/
knewblewkorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Draven
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Fox View Post
Contact your State senators and congress members and tell them what happened. Hopefully one of them will do the right thing and you might even get them back.

Bastages...
This isn't a bad idea. How long ago was the trip?
Draven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Cozmo
CF Senior Member
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Wow, that really stinks. I travel a lot and have not had issues like that. I would be furious if that happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Download the FlyRight app to your phone and report the bastards on the spot.
Just downloaded while sitting on a plane at the gate in Chicago. Just in case.
Cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Sleestak
CF Senior Member

I don't see what can go wrong when you all of the sudden give an army of people bitter about their lives as french fry cooks actual authority. The TSA is an exercise in government brilliance.
Sleestak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
juiceman03070
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Loss of dog tags ...

That would be like someone stealing your wedding ring ..
Thank your dad for his service and I wish nothing but bad things for the douche that took them ...
juiceman03070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
wcsinx
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelswithinwheels View Post
My father, in a wheelchair, was also singled out. He had a small carry-on duffel bag that was taken from his lap. The bag was taken out of his presence and the contents were x-rayed and rummaged through. It was returned to him. We eventually were all on on way to the gate and thankfully we allowed ourselves plenty of time for our flight.
Just FYI the TSA has NO RIGHT to take a bag away from you and search without you being present. I travel a lot for my work, and sometimes I have to carry some very expensive equipment in my carry ons. If the TSA ever tries to take a bag out of your sight you need to be very vocal and clear and inform them that you have no problem with them searching your bags but you need to be present and maintain visual contact with your possessions at all times. Be firm, get loud but not mad. That is your right no matter what that high school dropout TSA employee tells you. Never budge on this one. Make them call over their supervisor, an armed guard, or whomever they want, but never lose sight of your stuff.
wcsinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
rcread
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondami View Post
Privatizing it isnt such a hot deal either.. those "rent a cops" were useless before the .GOV stepped in.. now the are abusive goons. there has to be a better answer.
In a study it was discovered that private screeners at the San Francisco airport were twice as effective at finding contraband as TSA screeners. They could process 165 people through the security line in the time it took Los Angeles screeners (TSA) to process 100 people. Israel uses private security in their airports. Competition is the key. It forces companies to improve. The TSA is a government monopoly - fat, bloated, rude and corrupt.
rcread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #38
mvftw
CF Senior Member

Give someone a little authority and $10 an hour and you a TSA agent...
mvftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #39
Truck Norris
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummelS View Post
Those TSA fk's have got me to the point where, if I can't drive there, I'm not going. I really would like to make another trip to Europe, but there isn't a bridge.

Give some folks a uniform, they will immediately assert their "authority."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Z01 View Post
Certainly freedom & dignity are not valued in this country and so we no longer have them...

The current mentality of this country's sheeple disgusts me.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 05-03-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #40
wugak
CF Senior Member

My folks flew to Italy with my grandmother last year. She is 92 and speaks very little English. She can walk but they got her a wheel chair at the airport. When they checked in they said they would take her aside and meet my parents at the gate. She had to go to a special area.

Long story short after about an hour of my dad going apes**T on any airport employee he could find they finally wheel her out 5 minutes prior to boarding. We never got the whole story but apparently they put her in a room and left her there alone. She cried out for help and nobody came. Worst part was she wet herself because she couldn't get out and nobody was around. So she flew 7 hours t Italy like that.
wugak is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • TSA outrage
  •