Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Home warranty recommendations

Old 07-26-2012, 12:06 PM
nfshotrod
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Home warranty recommendations

My wife and I just bought a new house. Our Realtor is trying to get us to purchase a home warranty. I have read the online reviews for every major company out there, and they are not good. Can anybody recommend a decent company? Are they even worth it?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
AU N EGL
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

American Home Shield or Home Trust Warranty. I have used both.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I used to have quite-a-few single family residential rentals and many we're sold with American Home Shield warranties. In all cases the warranties were provided by the seller and in all cases I did not renew or extend the plan after the inital term expired. Personally, I would not buy a 'protection plan' on a house (or an extended warranty on a car for that matter). I perform my due diligence on the condition of the property before I buy. I might have tried to get the seller to provide a protection plan as part of the negotiations but since you already own the house I'd tell the realtor 'thanks but no thanks.' I just don't think they're worth it.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
BSeery
CF Senior Member

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by AU N EGL View Post
American Home Shield or Home Trust Warranty. I have used both.

We have each right now. One is on a house that I own in Tenn that I am renting because I cant get it to sell. Since I am in VA I can't do the repairs, and if the furnace dies that is money I don't have to get it repaired ASAP.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
PostShawn
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have American Home Shield. My house came with a year of the warranty. We are debating weather to get another year now. We haven't had to use it but any dealings I've had with the company seemed good so far. Friendly people, good newsletters, etc.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:59 PM
lionsfan5454
CF Senior Member

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I think American Home Shield is party to at least one class action suit FWIW
Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
JR_VETTE
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mid-TN Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I've had Old Republic for 5 years now, and have 0 complaints. I've used them probably 6-7 times for everything from HVAC to kitchen appliances. If you are buying an older home, it's a smart move in my opinion.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
SilverC1
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

I had some experience with American Home Shield, since a warranty was provided by the seller when I bought my current house.

They provided good service on a few items, with no questions or issues - you just have to pay what's basically a deductible for each visit. A lot of things were ones I could have handled myself, but if the likely cost of just the parts was going to be more than the deductible ($60, if I recall), then I just had them handle it. In one case of a furnace issue, the actual problem was (as I suspected after my own debugging) the gas valve, but the service tech made an initial diagnosis of the thermal/flame sensor being bad (which I knew wasn't the case, actually). Even though it took three visits to get it fixed (initial diagnosis, then the return visit with the new flame sensor, then the second return visit with the gas valve), the total cost to me was still $60.

I also got a replacement hot water dispenser, and a control board for a built-in microwave, replaced under the warranty. The hot water dispenser was sort of a wash wrt the deductible, but then again I didn't have to do the work. But the savings on the microwave control module was significant.

In the long run these don't make financial sense. BUT, if you're not handy with your own repairs, and if you have some aging built-in appliances, furnace, AC, etc., then they can make at least some sense. And AHS seemed to be very honest and reasonable about things. And their responsiveness was pretty good also.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

yes on the home warranty, saved my butt many times!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:37 PM
bonnevillebill
CF Senior Member

Liked 45 Times in 13 Posts

In most cases, I think that you are better off to spend the money on a professional and thorough inspection of the home before you buy it.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Liked 38 Times in 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bonnevillebill View Post
In most cases, I think that you are better off to spend the money on a professional and thorough inspection of the home before you buy it.
anyone that doesn't get an inspection is stupid
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
bradNTx
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Read the fine print very carefully. In the end it really comes down to the technician they send out for whatever is broken. Also if they can find a way to say that whatever you call them out for was broken or bad before they issued the warranty they will try to wiggle out. I had that happen when I bought my house. Luckily during negotiations the owner had an AC guy come out to replace a bad transformer in the AC system. He looked over both the upstairs and downstairs units and said they were good. I kept the receipt.

A few months later my system started loosing freon, warranty company sent out a guy and he came to the conclusion that it was a bad coil, the coil was rusted out and that would be considered an issue that was already there when the house was purchased a few months before.
I went back and forth with the home warranty company and used the receipt from the AC tech to show that the system was good to go when I bought the house. After that AND telling my realtor that I was going to bring this up to the state's real estate commission (they oversee home warranty companies in Texas) the home warranty company suddenly decided to take care of the problem. However they only fix exactly what is broken, if other parts or supplies are required to repair the problem it will be out of your pocket. I had this happen because the AC tech recommended some other stuff that needed to be done along with the replacement of the coil. In the end they did an ok job and I figure I broke even between what that repair would have cost me completely out of pocket and what the warranty cost.
The owner paid for the warranty as part of the terms of the sale but of course in the end I really paid for it because I could have just negotiated that $500 off the asking price and skipped the warranty. I did not renew the warranty.

On a side note the techs, plumbers and other tradesmen that these companies contract with usually aren't exactly the best in the business.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM
vvv90
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've had many experiences with Home Warranty of America.

For the little stuff like ceiling fans, garage door openers, and even the range top. They replaced them without haggle.

When the furnace went out it was a different story. My rental is a small 3 bedroom, but still they would only cover ~$600 for a complete replacement.

To make matters worse, the contractor that you have to go through Tried to say I needed an additional $500 in tin work to make it fit. They ticked me off so I had a friend do all the work for $1100 after getting a check from them for $600...

...When he was done I asked him if he needed to do any extra tin work. he said no. So their contractor was trying to screw me out of $500 because they didn't pay out enough on the job to make it worth while.

To me it borderlines on illegal. It's impossible for anyone to make a living replacing a new furnace for $600. WTF?

Personally I'd stay away. I've had it for 7 years now and have never come close with all the claims to cover the premiums, but since my tenants are essentially paying for it, I kept it.

I will continue to keep it because the A/C is on it's last leg so I figure I"m this close, so might as well keep it. Although I'm sure they'll only give me about $600 for that too.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM
AzMotorhead
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 71 Times in 47 Posts

I'm with Wayne O .
Old 07-26-2012, 03:15 PM
nfshotrod
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
anyone that doesn't get an inspection is stupid
We had an inspector out on Saturday. Everything checked out fine. I think they are good for your piece of mind, but I could have done what he did. I am handy around the house also, that is why I am leaning towards not getting a warranty. Must be a lot of sketchy companies out there according to the reviews.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:18 PM
jw38
CF Senior Member

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Originally Posted by Wayne O View Post
I used to have quite-a-few single family residential rentals and many we're sold with American Home Shield warranties. In all cases the warranties were provided by the seller and in all cases I did not renew or extend the plan after the inital term expired. Personally, I would not buy a 'protection plan' on a house (or an extended warranty on a car for that matter). I perform my due diligence on the condition of the property before I buy. I might have tried to get the seller to provide a protection plan as part of the negotiations but since you already own the house I'd tell the realtor 'thanks but no thanks.' I just don't think they're worth it.

My wife and I own three homes in San Antonio. All of them were sold with warranties from American Home Shield. At one of the houses I had an issue with the central air. It was making a REALLY loud noise on start-up. It took three technicians from 3 different companies to somewhat quiet the noise. All 3 told me that the compressor needed to be replaced by American Home Shield refused to do so. The AC is working, but it's not working as well as it should.

In most cases, repairs are limited to a maximum of $1500, so if your AC craps out on you, the most you'll get is $1500. The warranties range from $650 - $850 per year...not a good value in my opinion.

I won't renew any of the warranties when they expire.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:50 PM
vetsalsman
Supporting Vendor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

op, you should actually be upset with the realtor for suggesting you buy a warranty. The realtor should have suggested to you that the seller provide a warranty as part of the deal. The realtor failed to work for your best interest. live and learn
Old 07-26-2012, 04:17 PM
hz900
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

American Home Shield. Coming from someone in the business. I've yet to hear of anyone having an issue with them. Some of the others not so much.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
nfshotrod
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsalsman View Post
op, you should actually be upset with the realtor for suggesting you buy a warranty. The realtor should have suggested to you that the seller provide a warranty as part of the deal. The realtor failed to work for your best interest. live and learn
This is one of them deals where the house had 3 prosective buyers and the best offer got the house. We felt that if we asked them to buy us a warranty they would've skipped over us and gone to the next buyer. We was not going to lose this house over 500.00.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:51 PM
BajaGTO
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsfan5454 View Post
I think American Home Shield is party to at least one class action suit FWIW

I had them with my first house. They SUCK.

I tried to use them for my leaking roof. Paid a dude $90 to come out and say "Sorry, we won't cover that, the roof was installed improperly."

WTF is the point of a home warranty at purchase? I thought it was to cover stuff like that. But, nope.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Home warranty recommendations

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: