Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Animation of all the Nuke explosions over the globe and by who. Can't be real right?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Animation of all the Nuke explosions over the globe and by who. Can't be real right?

Old 10-29-2012, 12:58 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cole925 View Post
I love how #1 is in the desert, then skip on over to......

JAPAN!!! for #'s 2 & 3.

Thank God for a government with an actual nut sack back in the day.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 AM
C5 Pewter Coupe
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Surprised this planet isn't torn in two by now.
well, to match the energy release of a supervolcano such as Yellowstone (that has erupted 3 times in the past) you would have to detonate every nuclear weapon of both the USSR and USA at once to even approach the energy release of one eruption.

your average hurricane such as Sandy is the equivalent of about 10,000 hydrogen bombs
Old 10-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Boomer111
CF Senior Member

Liked 152 Times in 136 Posts

I remember the early testing vividly.

Bomb shelters being built. I grew up in a very wealthy town and folks had the means.

Scary for a young boy thinking world could be blown up. When the Loma Prieta earthquake hit the Bay Area around the late 80's I remember seeing the street come in waves and the trees and poles sway violently. I was driving on a surface street with the two little ones in a Honda 1500 S and thought my tires where square then I stopped to look and saw the wave of ground coming and immediately thought a nuke had gone off in San Francisco about 50 miles away. I was waiting for the percussion to follow.

The World is a angry place for the most part.

Last edited by Boomer111; 10-29-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
su8pack1
CF Senior Member

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts

Old 10-29-2012, 11:23 AM
cole925
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the oz View Post
I'm glad you find it amusing.
Originally Posted by CINNEMAN View Post
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Some people are just plain morons, she's trying to be a tough guy hero.
Originally Posted by Red Racer View Post
Seek help immediately.
All of these attitudes are the reason why we are not able to properly begin & end wars in today's society. Too many people like you who don't realize the mentality of your enemies.

You should be on your knees every day thanking men like Marshall, Parsons, Purnell, and Farrell. They are the sole reason you aren't speaking Japanese and/or German right now. Don't know why I bother though, I'm sure you need to Google those names to have any inkling of their role.

Man In The High Castle and all that.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Liked 586 Times in 376 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

All of these attitudes are the reason why we are not able to properly begin & end wars in today's society. Too many people like you who don't realize the mentality of your enemies.

You should be on your knees every day thanking men like Marshall, Parsons, Purnell, and Farrell. They are the sole reason you aren't speaking Japanese and/or German right now. Don't know why I bother though, I'm sure you need to Google those names to have any inkling of their role.

Actually I do speak German, I'm half.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:40 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

You notice two of them are from former UK colonies that were given their freedom.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM
Stanley Distribution
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111 View Post
I remember the early testing vividly.

Bomb shelters being built. I grew up in a very wealthy town and folks had the means.

Scary for a young boy thinking world could be blown up. When the Loma Prieta earthquake hit the Bay Area around the late 80's I remember seeing the street come in waves and the trees and poles sway violently. I was driving on a surface street with the two little ones in a Honda 1500 S and thought my tires where square then I stopped to look and saw the wave of ground coming and immediately thought a nuke had gone off in San Francisco about 50 miles away. I was waiting for the percussion to follow.

The World is a angry place for the most part.
I remember it too. I was very young, I was playing out side and the ground started shaking. For some reason I thought my dad was shaking the trailer so hard it made the ground shake. I remember being very confused. We were in Vacaville.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:57 AM
tomc8at
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer View Post
Seek help immediately.
Y should he seek help... That was a true statement...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:59 AM
smearig
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As usual, we're number one.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Hurricane
CF Senior Member

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post
There's a great documentary called Trinity and Beyond, about the early US testing program. It's amazing.

Wonderful documentary! The soundtrack to it is great as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
The Cripp
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

My Gawd... I never thought there were so many.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:22 PM
nj02vette
CF Senior Member

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts

Damn right. All the revisionists convienently forget how many lives were saved rather than a longer war by ending it quickly. And they forget that we warned the Japanese Empire who ignored calls to surrender. The also didn't surrender after Hiroshima.

We could just as easily targeted Tokyo but went for military targets instead.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:32 PM
smearig
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nj02vette View Post
Damn right. All the revisionists convienently forget how many lives were saved rather than a longer war by ending it quickly. And they forget that we warned the Japanese Empire who ignored calls to surrender. The also didn't surrender after Hiroshima.

We could just as easily targeted Tokyo but went for military targets instead.
I don't think it's revisionist to say that it was a tragedy that we had to drop the bombs. It seems to me like it was the right call at the time, but I don't understand being gleeful about incinerating tons of civilians who had no authority to make their country surrender.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
The JOe
CF Senior Member

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by The Cripp View Post
My Gawd... I never thought there were so many.
That is what really surprised me about the video. I was looking at it very suspiciously thinking "this can't be right". A little more research and sure enough, its pretty accurate.

JOe
Old 10-29-2012, 03:41 PM
Sleestak
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In anticipation of a land invasion of Japan to end WWII ~500,000 Purple Heart medals were ordered manufactured in order to cover the projected casualties. Since the atomic bombs ended the war before that anticipated land invasion the medals were used in all the subsequent wars. We still haven't had to order more. That's how many American casualties the atomic bomb helped avoid.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Dan Dlabay
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Good thing all but 2 was used in testing. If those nukes had been used in war we might not be here now.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
RC45
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see the joint South African and Isreali tests in the South Atlantic are not shown.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Muffin
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For those who are concerned over the dead from Fat Man and Little Boy check the dead from the fire raids on Tokyo or Dresden or Hamburg. If you are being burned to death does it matter if the flame source is splitting atoms or napalm? Don't missunderstand, I am not in favor of nuclear war, or any other war for that matter, but it should be recognized that atomic bombs did not increase the level of slaughter only made it easier.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM
VatorMan
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Gleeful ? No-But damn glad the Truman had the ***** to do it. Some of us can trace being alive due to that decision. My Dad was in Corregidor awaiting the invasion.

Those that say it was a bad decision have never stood in harm's way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Animation of all the Nuke explosions over the globe and by who. Can't be real right?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: