[GUNS] D.A. drops first SAFE Act charge in NY county - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Off Topic
Off Topic | Non-Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[GUNS] D.A. drops first SAFE Act charge in NY county

Old 05-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
calvins
CF Senior Member
Oldtimer

Default [GUNS] D.A. drops first SAFE Act charge in NY county

This whole thing played out within about 20 miles of where I live. For those who may be unaware; Emperor Quomo rammed legislation through over a weekend called the "SAFE Act". Part of that states that a removeable magazine may not be loaded with more than 7 rounds. This guy conveniently get's pulled over for a tail light issue and it goes from there...

http://www.registerstar.com/news/ar...f887a.html

Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 12:30 am | Updated: 10:36 am, Fri May 24, 2013. By Gail Heinsohn For Hudson-Catskill Newspapers | http://www.registerstar.com/news/ar...f887a.html#user-comment-area"> 18 comments
District Attorney Paul Czajka dropped a state SAFE Act charge Thursday in county district court against Hopewell Junction resident Gregory Dean Jr., who was the first person charged in the county under the controversal law since it was enacted last month.
Czajka told Town Justice Jessica Byrne that he would not prosecute the SAFE act violation.
“Although I believe that it is not for a district attorney to determine or make blanket policy,” Czajka told Byrne, he said he would “decline to prosecute the unlawful possession of ammunition feed devices.”
“There are a lot of factors that go into a decision that a District Attorney makes,” Czajka said after the court proceedings. “Given the circumstances of this case, it was my decision to exercise my prosecutorial discretion” and decline prosecution of the charge until and unless a higher court rules on the law.
A planned protest of the prosecution of the SAFE Act charge resulted in eight protestors standing outside the New Lebanon courthouse.
But the protest was dissolved when Czajka announced he would not prosecute the SAFE act violation.
Czajka offered a reduction in the other charges against Dean, but Dean’s attorney, Jonna Spilbor, of Poughkeepsie, declined to accept the deal.
“We were prepared to fight like hell” on the SAFE act violation, she said in court, “but we would decline the opportunity to plead on that.”
They will return to Town Court in June.
Czajka told Byrne that there would be “no need for a jury trial.”
The case drew widespread media attention across the state.
Spilbor said she was glad members of the press were present.
“The SAFE Act is something that I think a lot of us are unhappy about,” Spilbor said. “The D.A. took the legs out of the SAFE Act for this particular case.”
Dean was stopped by state police May 12 in New Lebanon for a license-plate bulb that was out. During the motor vehicle stop, police allegedly found Dean in possession of a handgun with a magazine that contained nine bullets, instead of the legal amount of seven under the new law, which went into effect April 15. Dean has been quoted as saying that he was unaware of the law.
He was charged with being in possession of illegal ammunition feeding devices, as well as aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, both of which are misdemeanors, and a traffic infraction for the missing light.
Dean said after court he was “grateful for all the support” he’d received. Spilbor advised him not to answer further questions.
Outside the courthouse, Czajka was questioned about other laws he did not plan to prosecute.
Czajka replied that he “make[s] a decision on each case,” based on the circumstances.
He was, he said, “not making a decision with respect to any particular issue,” only a “particular case. I consider every case on its own merits.”

Last edited by calvins; 05-24-2013 at 07:44 PM.
calvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Location: Williamsport PA. The numbers will confess to anything, if you torture them long enough.

Well, at least there's a DA with an iq > 1, even if he does stand alone when amongst the legislature.
K-Spaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
calvins
CF Senior Member
Oldtimer

I don't think he's alone. The majority of Sheriffs in NYS have said that they won't enforce the "Law". There is quite a bit of opposition to the "Law" that Emperor Cuomo rammed through. But there are still enough nutz to elect him again. The really scary thing is that he has eyes on POTUS... [shudder]
calvins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
siege101
CF Senior Member

Smart move by the DA. The guy on the other hand is stupid. Don't carry an illegal weapon (technically magazine) while driving with a broken tail light and have a suspended license. The Safe Act is complete unconstitutional BS though.

BTW, I'm not surprised it was troopers that charged him with that. I can't see many local PDs or sheriffs doing it.
siege101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
1Patriot
CF Senior Member

Another license plate light out.

Would you believe the builders of those lights must be in cahoots with the LEO group.
1Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
~Josh
CF Senior Member

When the US Supreme Court rules against this law a DECADE from now we'll just see.... hopefully long before then Cuomo's political career has been scuttled by a sex scandal involving a goat, blue lipstick, and a garden hose.
~Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196
Support Corvetteforum!

Terrible law, but then I live in Texas and we do not have a communist leading the state.
peter pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • [GUNS] D.A. drops first SAFE Act charge in NY county
  •