Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

barcelona spain

Old 11-16-2014, 02:56 AM
tomsws6
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default barcelona spain

Has anyone ever been there? My company is sending me over thereat the end of the month for a week to visit a vendor and inspect a piece of equipment we are purchasing. Iv never been out of the country so I don't know what to expect such as the types of food over there or simple stuff like Iv heard that the electrical outlets are different. Iv also heard that pick pocketing is very big over there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to look out for or to actually check out? Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 03:45 AM
gs568
CF Senior Member

Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tomsws6 View Post
Has anyone ever been there? My company is sending me over thereat the end of the month for a week to visit a vendor and inspect a piece of equipment we are purchasing. Iv never been out of the country so I don't know what to expect such as the types of food over there or simple stuff like Iv heard that the electrical outlets are different. Iv also heard that pick pocketing is very big over there? Anyone have any suggestions on what to look out for or to actually check out? Thanks
I'll be there in late December. So no help here. More pics of Typhoon.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:11 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 147 Times in 76 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I would only say that you are in for a mind melting treat. I have not been to Barcelona, but my advice is to eat, drink and be merry.

Passing out and throwing up is optional.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:12 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by gs568 View Post
I'll be there in late December. So no help here. More pics of Typhoon.
Where?
Old 11-16-2014, 04:20 AM
gs568
CF Senior Member

Liked 35 Times in 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Red L98 View Post
Where?
All over. Start in London, make a big circle around Europe and end in Paris.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:43 AM
tomsws6
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like fun.. Got 8hrs of work to do everyday first but then....
Old 11-16-2014, 07:58 AM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Yes, my wife and I went there for our 5 year anniversary.

Beautiful place. It's incredibly clean, the food is amazing, and like any big city, as long as you're reasonably aware, it's perfectly safe.

The architecture is amazing, so just walking around the city is really interesting. Sagrada Familia cathedral is a must-see.
Also fun to take the gondola up to the site of the Olympics, see the park with all the Gaudi sculpture, etc. Picasso museum, and the locals dancing in the square in the Gothic district.

Our best day trips out of Barcelona were to Tarragona, where there are Roman Empire ruins, and to Monserrat, the monastery up on the hillside. If you go to Monserrat, take the cable car up the side of the mountain.

Last edited by scottycards; 11-16-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:11 AM
FLACHUSNRET
CF Senior Member

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I went there a couple of times back in 1969 and 1970 while on the USS Forrestal. I do specifically remember one visit when I and a few buddies went ashore to go a bullfight and the weather was cold and rainy so we never got to see a bull fight. I did enjoy the shopping and food.
I still have a small wood carving of Don Quixote which I purchased there.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM
CP
CF Senior Member

Liked 245 Times in 146 Posts

Origin of the word gaudy:

Gaudy House Museum
Old 11-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Awesome.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Spent some time there last Spring. Barcelona is incredible. The entire city smells like fresh bread in the early mornings, and it's impossible to get bad coffee or pastries, anywhere. If you're up early enough in the morning, you can walk the streets and see La Sagrada Familia (posted above) among tons of other architecture by Gaudy (also above) without having to contend with quite so many tourists.

If you can, point yourself in the direction of high ground and start walking. The hilltops around the city afford amazing views, and several of them are the sites of old, old courtyards, shops, parks, and cultural centers.

I can't say enough about Barca. It's in contention for my favorite city in Europe.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:22 PM
tomsws6
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scottycards View Post

BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 PM
not08crmanymore
CF Senior Member

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

I haven't been to Spain since 1984 but it's a beautiful place to visit and see ancient history. Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket,don't leave anything of value in the hotel room etc. Simple precautions go a long way. Stay away from any place called anything remotely like BLOOD ALLEY... which was actually a place in Mallorca,A 20 minute plane ride from Barcelona, and I know there was a similar place in Barcelona but can't remember what it's called. Don't screw with the GUARDIA CIVIL...the black plastic ugly mickey mouse type looking hat wearing cops.As for the electrical it is different but there are transformers or something like that you can get to convert the current. Not sure they still look like this but..

Last edited by not08crmanymore; 11-16-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
E in Phila
CF Senior Member

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

One of the world's great cities. Every lunch should be 3+ hours and involve a carafe of red wine.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 AM
tomsws6
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, the trip got pushed back to January and the stay has been extended from 1 week to 2weeks!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM
el es tu
CF Senior Member

Liked 40 Times in 38 Posts

Awesome city - great food, great for walking around just checking out architecture, lots of good stores and high end shops.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Crabs
CF Senior Member

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Being married to a Spaniard, I am of course slightly prejudiced.
Be prepared for late mornings and long lunches.
Do not attempt to drive there, the Spaniards are nearly as crazy drivers as are the Italians.
Everywhere you go will be outdoor Tapas Cantinas, enjoy a tortilla with some Sangria for an afternoon snack, and top it off with some lemoncito.
Be careful, the Spanish women are some of the most beautiful women in the world.
If you are going with a significant other, be sure to wear mirrored sunglasses so that your roaming eyes won't cause you marital problems.
The art and culture are to be experienced, just remember that these folks have been civilized much longer than the good old US of A.
At one point these people explored/plundered/controlled a very large fraction of the planet.
And to the other posters above, the architect of the Sagrada Familia was Antonio GAUDI.
Not Gaudy. (although one could probably argue that point....)
There are multiple dialects of Spanish spoken in Barcelona, but most speak English as well. You would be well prepared if you brushed up on a few common Spanish terms.

'Crabs
Old 11-25-2014, 01:45 PM
mike1944
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's true the Spanish police are not to be messed with. Rules are different there.

Saw two of them collar a drunk who was going around kicking people. They came around the corner just as he kicked a young woman pushing a stroller.

They were trying to get him in the patrol car. He was mouthing off and wouldn't get in.

One of the cops punched him in the stomach so hard he doubled up and fell back into the car. No more mouthing off either.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Afy
CF Senior Member

Location: Waiting for a flight Trying a Peaceful State of Mind
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '15

Its like any other southern European country.
Carry your wallet in your front pocket, and be prepared to pay tourist prices.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 AM
tomsws6
CF Senior Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the late reply but THANKS!! Im very excited. My wife is coming over to visit for a few day. But she took advantage of me being gone and is stopping over in Ireland for a few days with my niece and then meeting me in Spain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: barcelona spain

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: