Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Small engine gurus: 2 Cycle engines - how much oil is too much?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Small engine gurus: 2 Cycle engines - how much oil is too much?

 
Old 06-01-2015, 05:38 PM
  #1  
wamara
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wamara's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: ABQ NM
Posts: 5,907
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default Small engine gurus: 2 Cycle engines - how much oil is too much?

Just bought a new string trimmer which calls for 3.2 oz. of oil per 1 gallon of gasoline. I won't go through a gallon of gas for the entire summer, and the owner's manual repeatedly warns against using "old gas", so I filled up my gas can with a 1/2 gallon of gas, with the idea that I will add 1.6 ounces of oil. The trick for me will be measuring this amount of oil. I looked up a conversion chart and 2 tablespoons equals 1 fluid ounce, so 3 tablespoons will equal 1.5 ounces. leaving me with figuring out the remaining one-tenth of an ounce. I don't know how critical and exact you need to be here; I'll assume that you don't want to have less oil than is called for, but how bad would it be if I put too much oil (guesstimating the .1 oz) in the fuel? Thanks for any cogent replies
wamara is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  #2  
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member
 
BOTYNV1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Title town, Champs live here.
Posts: 55,411
Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Too much it will smoke.
BOTYNV1 is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
  #3  
wamara
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wamara's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: ABQ NM
Posts: 5,907
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
Too much it will smoke.
So other than some air pollution and possibly fouling the spark plug, it shouldn't be a problem as far as any engine damage? I could get very, very close using teaspoon measures, but my wife would take a very dim view to my using her kitchen measuring spoons
wamara is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 05:51 PM
  #4  
DJ_Critterus
CF Senior Member
 
DJ_Critterus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: FL.... America's Wang! No shrinkage. Winter's not coming!
Posts: 50,832
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default

A little over won't hurt it like running it too lean will.
DJ_Critterus is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 05:58 PM
  #5  
Silverspeed
CF Senior Member
 
Silverspeed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: In the woods looking for my thrown putter.
Posts: 22,137
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default

.1 ounce of oil in 64 ounces makes up .156% of the mixture. In other words, gas pumps have a greater margin of error than that, and there is no way you can be assured that you have EXACTLY 64 ounces, nor can you measure the oil you pour that exact, so it won't matter. Add a couple of extra drops if you want to sleep well at night.

Last edited by Silverspeed; 06-01-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Silverspeed is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM
  #6  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,275
Liked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Just buy good oil. Some of the synthetics claim to be safe at 100:1. I used to run Optimol at 80:1 in a chainsaw, 6 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 week stints.
The_Dude is online now  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM
  #7  
Mick71
CF Senior Member
 
Mick71's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2010
Location: Bowtie, Pennsyltucky
Posts: 3,296
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15
Default

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
A little over won't hurt it like running it too lean will.
Actually, more oil makes a leaner mixture, more oil = less fuel.

OP, as long as you're pretty close, a tenth of an oz. won't be an issue.

32 to 40:1 is what you want with modern synthetics.
Mick71 is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 PM
  #8  
Silverspeed
CF Senior Member
 
Silverspeed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: In the woods looking for my thrown putter.
Posts: 22,137
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default

Or just buy this and don't worry about all that mess.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_50786-442-65...ductId=3456458
Silverspeed is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 PM
  #9  
LarryMJones
CF Senior Member
 
LarryMJones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2007
Location: Maumelle Arkansas
Posts: 18,633
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Mick71 View Post
Actually, more oil makes a leaner mixture, more oil = less fuel.

OP, as long as you're pretty close, a tenth of an oz. won't be an issue.

32 to 40:1 is what you want with modern synthetics.


Mix up a gallon it's easier to do the math.
LJ
LarryMJones is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:22 PM
  #10  
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member
 
BOTYNV1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Location: Title town, Champs live here.
Posts: 55,411
Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default

Don't sweat it, I have been eyeballing it for years w/out measuring at all. I only go through three or so trimmers a year J/K you will be close enough with your measuring to be fine.
BOTYNV1 is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:26 PM
  #11  
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member
 
Dave concrete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: long Island NY
Posts: 12,386
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wamara View Post
Just bought a new string trimmer which calls for 3.2 oz. of oil per 1 gallon of gasoline. I won't go through a gallon of gas for the entire summer, and the owner's manual repeatedly warns against using "old gas", so I filled up my gas can with a 1/2 gallon of gas, with the idea that I will add 1.6 ounces of oil. The trick for me will be measuring this amount of oil. I looked up a conversion chart and 2 tablespoons equals 1 fluid ounce, so 3 tablespoons will equal 1.5 ounces. leaving me with figuring out the remaining one-tenth of an ounce. I don't know how critical and exact you need to be here; I'll assume that you don't want to have less oil than is called for, but how bad would it be if I put too much oil (guesstimating the .1 oz) in the fuel? Thanks for any cogent replies
32:1 odd for most of today's small stuff, most are 50:1 which is 2.6oz to a gallon.
You are better off buying pre-mixed fuel already comes done, zero ethanol and a two year shelf life. Most small equipment shops have it and home depot as well.
Dave concrete is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
  #12  
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member
 
Dave concrete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: long Island NY
Posts: 12,386
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Just buy good oil. Some of the synthetics claim to be safe at 100:1. I used to run Optimol at 80:1 in a chainsaw, 6 hours a day, 7 days a week for 3 week stints.
I remember when that stuff came out right around 89' 90' it was the big thing in the day for 2 cycle.
Dave concrete is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 PM
  #13  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,275
Liked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Dave concrete View Post
I remember when that stuff came out right around 89' 90' it was the big thing in the day for 2 cycle.
This was probably about '85 or '86. The saw shop sold me the stuff with the saw. I never had a problem with it. I'm not brave enough for 80:1 anymore. I use synthetic and mix 50:1 these days.
The_Dude is online now  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 PM
  #14  
wamara
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wamara's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: ABQ NM
Posts: 5,907
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by Dave concrete View Post
32:1 odd for most of today's small stuff, most are 50:1 which is 2.6oz to a gallon.
You are better off buying pre-mixed fuel already comes done, zero ethanol and a two year shelf life. Most small equipment shops have it and home depot as well.
Dave,
the engine does call for a 40:1 ratio. They even gave me a tiny bottle of synthetic oil - of course, it was 3.2 oz. I have a gas station that sells 89 octane fuel with no ethanol; that is what I'm using for the trimmer. Unless manufacturers have changed materials, it seems like a lot of people are at least under the impression that the ethanol really chews up the plastic in the engine (fuel lines, etc.) Thanks everyone for the replies.

Last edited by wamara; 06-01-2015 at 07:38 PM. Reason: #s correction
wamara is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:43 PM
  #15  
Silverspeed
CF Senior Member
 
Silverspeed's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: In the woods looking for my thrown putter.
Posts: 22,137
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default

Originally Posted by wamara View Post
Dave,
the engine does call for a 32:1 ratio. They even gave me a tiny bottle of synthetic oil - of course, it was 3.2 oz. I have a gas station that sells 89 octane fuel with no ethanol; that is what I'm using for the trimmer. Unless manufacturers have changed materials, it seems like a lot of people are at least under the impression that the ethanol really chews up the plastic in the engine (fuel lines, etc.) Thanks everyone for the replies.
There are 128 ounces in a gallon, so if that tiny bottle says add to 1 gallon, its a 40:1 ratio.
Silverspeed is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 06:44 PM
  #16  
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member
 
Dave concrete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: long Island NY
Posts: 12,386
Likes: 0
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by wamara View Post
Dave,
the engine does call for a 32:1 ratio. They even gave me a tiny bottle of synthetic oil - of course, it was 3.2 oz. I have a gas station that sells 89 octane fuel with no ethanol; that is what I'm using for the trimmer. Unless manufacturers have changed materials, it seems like a lot of people are at least under the impression that the ethanol really chews up the plastic in the engine (fuel lines, etc.) Thanks everyone for the replies.
Ethanol kills the internals of Carbs on both 2 and 4 cycle motors. We rebuild carbs about every 3 months on all the cut off saws and blowers.
We add a cap full of a chemical that helps and 93 is a must.
My ICS concrete chainsaws run 25:1 talk about smoke and fumes.
Dave concrete is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:16 PM
  #17  
carsangelop
CF Senior Member
 
carsangelop's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2007
Location: Wildwood Crest NJ
Posts: 2,194
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I just got a 4 stroke This thing is really powerful and starts on the 1st or 2nd pull Great machine and no mixing or excessive smoke
carsangelop is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM
  #18  
wamara
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
wamara's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: ABQ NM
Posts: 5,907
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Default

Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
There are 128 ounces in a gallon, so if that tiny bottle says add to 1 gallon, its a 40:1 ratio.
Well, this is what happens when I'm relying on my memory - got the numbers mixed up in my head, double checked the manual, and it does say 40:1 ratio
wamara is offline  
Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 PM
  #19  
psychodiagnostik
CF Senior Member
 
psychodiagnostik's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,844
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a 15 year old weed trimmer that I've used 10 years.

I always eyeball the approx. amount of oil per gallon that I calculate according to the specs... then add another couple oz. per gallon. I don't think it's super critical but I've always figured it's better to go over a little on the oil.

Yes it smokes but I'm still running the same plug since I got it & it runs good. What I have done is rebuild the little zama carb with the $7 rebuild kit every couple of summers. This seems to keep it running good (primes easy, starts easy, warms up & runs off choke fast).

Some people like to run ethanol free in trimmers, chainsaws, etc & there's a station locally that sells it but I seem to do OK with regular gas. But who knows maybe with ethanol free I wouldn't be needing the carb rebuilds, I've heard the ethanol hurts the diaphragm in the carb.
psychodiagnostik is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 12:09 AM
  #20  
BobbyC3
CF Senior Member
 
BobbyC3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Common courtesy and common sense are not common.
Posts: 11,482
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
Don't sweat it, I have been eyeballing it for years w/out measuring at all. I only go through three or so trimmers a year J/K you will be close enough with your measuring to be fine.
got a 25 year old Lawn Boy that I run with a shot glass of oil in the gas can for years. Still running strong
BobbyC3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Small engine gurus: 2 Cycle engines - how much oil is too much?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: