Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Grasshopper Motor is Ruined Afterall

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Grasshopper Motor is Ruined Afterall

 
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM
  #1  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,161
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Default Grasshopper Motor is Ruined Afterall

And ruined is the right word because it can't be fixed.

Just got a call from the Kohler authorized dealer valve keeper fell off into the piston and seized it up. I use to ride motocross and I knew when I heard that racket in the motor that it was going to seize and it did. I asked them why can't you just replace the head and piston and he said they are molded to the block. He gave me a $2,500 price to put in a new one. I am going to look through my dad's records first to see if it is under warranty but I doubt serial number said it was 3 years old warranty only 2 . Dang motor only had 54 hours on it wondering if Kohlers are junk and should put a kawasaki in there instead.

If I don't do that, I am going to go with the 27hp one instead. Pretty bummed out about the whole thing. I wish my wife would have listened to me but she didn't so that is mute point now. Guess I will just have to write a check for it instead of a nice vacation to Playa Del Carmen to get the dang thing fixed. After all it's only freak'n money.

Still wondering if it was just bad luck that she was on it when it happened or I wonder if she did something to it that she ain't telling me.

Here's an old question that could be answered if you borrow something and it breaks who is responsible for fixing it.
gixxerbill is online now  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  #2  
TwoSmoke
CF Senior Member
 
TwoSmoke's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2010
Location: Sugarcane town Florida
Posts: 13,054
Likes: 0
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Will they take your wife in trade?
TwoSmoke is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:20 AM
  #3  
Suthunman
CF Senior Member
 
Suthunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: The Voice of Reason!
Posts: 4,831
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

I don't see how something your wife did caused this. Valve keeper falling off into the piston..........no way she caused this.
Suthunman is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 AM
  #4  
blacksedan87
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
blacksedan87's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2003
Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Posts: 16,272
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default

So your wife "borrowed" your lawnmower to cut your grass, and you're thinking that she should pay for it because she was using it when it broke?

Huh?
blacksedan87 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:22 AM
  #5  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,161
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Suthunman View Post
I don't see how something your wife did caused this. Valve keeper falling off into the piston..........no way she caused this.
My theory is maybe she activated the pto with the mower deck all the way lifted up.
gixxerbill is online now  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM
  #6  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners :yesnod:
Posts: 42,512
Liked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Now that you know what it is, you just have to fix it and move on.

My guess is that you wouldn't get your wife to agree to use that machine again anyway.....even if you paid her.
96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 AM
  #7  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,161
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by blacksedan87 View Post
So your wife "borrowed" your lawnmower to cut your grass, and you're thinking that she should pay for it because she was using it when it broke?

Huh?
Was it hers? Remember I inherited it we didn't buy with joint funds. IF someone borrowed your vette and the motor blew would you ask them to fix it?
gixxerbill is online now  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 AM
  #8  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,161
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE View Post
Now that you know what it is, you just have to fix it and move on.

My guess is that you wouldn't get your wife to agree to use that machine again anyway.....even if you paid her.
she wouldn't even touch the Skeeter Vac after this. So maybe this taught her a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson.
gixxerbill is online now  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:30 AM
  #9  
94Lt1Vette
CF Senior Member
 
94Lt1Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 4,502
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
My theory is maybe she activated the pto with the mower deck all the way lifted up.
Why can't you activate the PTO with the mower deck lifted up?
94Lt1Vette is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:32 AM
  #10  
gixxerbill
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gixxerbill's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Posts: 11,161
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 94Lt1Vette View Post
Why can't you activate the PTO with the mower deck lifted up?
its not up a little Its up all the way (to like sharpen the blades or shorten it for storage)
gixxerbill is online now  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
  #11  
94Lt1Vette
CF Senior Member
 
94Lt1Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: New Orleans LA
Posts: 4,502
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Was it hers? Remember I inherited it we didn't buy with joint funds. IF someone borrowed your vette and the motor blew would you ask them to fix it?
Depends on why the motor blew. If it's due to negligence, maybe (if we're married, does it matter?). If it just happened due to poor timing and luck, I'd have no grounds to stand on.
94Lt1Vette is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
  #12  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,264
Liked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
My theory is maybe she activated the pto with the mower deck all the way lifted up.
Not sure how that would cause the valve keeper to come off. I think you had a ticking time bomb and your wife was the unlucky person to be on the mower when it went off.

$2500 should be pocket change to a CFOT baller.
The_Dude is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 AM
  #13  
Suthunman
CF Senior Member
 
Suthunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: The Voice of Reason!
Posts: 4,831
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
My theory is maybe she activated the pto with the mower deck all the way lifted up.
Valve keeper falls off because she activates pto with deck all the way up.
Suthunman is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:36 AM
  #14  
Snorkie
CF Senior Member
 
Snorkie's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Snake handler
Posts: 13,608
Liked 112 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
And ruined is the right word because it can't be fixed.

Just got a call from the Kohler authorized dealer valve keeper fell off into the piston and seized it up. I use to ride motocross and I knew when I heard that racket in the motor that it was going to seize and it did. I asked them why can't you just replace the head and piston and he said they are molded to the block. He gave me a $2,500 price to put in a new one. I am going to look through my dad's records first to see if it is under warranty but I doubt serial number said it was 3 years old warranty only 2 . Dang motor only had 54 hours on it wondering if Kohlers are junk and should put a kawasaki in there instead.

If I don't do that, I am going to go with the 27hp one instead. Pretty bummed out about the whole thing. I wish my wife would have listened to me but she didn't so that is mute point now. Guess I will just have to write a check for it instead of a nice vacation to Playa Del Carmen to get the dang thing fixed. After all it's only freak'n money.

Still wondering if it was just bad luck that she was on it when it happened or I wonder if she did something to it that she ain't telling me.

Here's an old question that could be answered if you borrow something and it breaks who is responsible for fixing it.
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
My theory is maybe she activated the pto with the mower deck all the way lifted up.
Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Was it hers? Remember I inherited it we didn't buy with joint funds. IF someone borrowed your vette and the motor blew would you ask them to fix it?
Piece of Work. Hard to believe you are married.
Snorkie is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:37 AM
  #15  
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!
 
96 Vette CE's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Location: Winners focus on winning, losers focus on winners :yesnod:
Posts: 42,512
Liked 171 Times in 97 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
she wouldn't even touch the Skeeter Vac after this. So maybe this taught her a VERY EXPENSIVE lesson.



Buy her some knee pads and make her work it off.















For weeding the gardens...get your mind out of the gutter
96 Vette CE is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  #16  
Suthunman
CF Senior Member
 
Suthunman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: The Voice of Reason!
Posts: 4,831
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Was it hers? Remember I inherited it we didn't buy with joint funds. IF someone borrowed your vette and the motor blew would you ask them to fix it?
So your telling me if you had rented this mower at an equipment rental place and this happened.............you would take it back and tell them "we owe you for a new motor because my wife engaged the pto with the deck up".
Suthunman is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  #17  
JohnZ
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2000
Location: Washington Michigan
Posts: 37,999
Liked 1,002 Times in 665 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
Just got a call from the Kohler authorized dealer valve keeper fell off into the piston and seized it up.
There's no way a valve keeper can get anywhere near the piston - I'm sure what he meant was that a valve keeper fell off, which allowed the valve to drop and make a big mess with the piston, cylinder, and head. At any rate, there's nothing your wife could have done in any way to cause it - the keeper wasn't properly installed/seated to begin with.
JohnZ is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:42 AM
  #18  
JetMechZ16
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Feb 2013
Location: South East TN
Posts: 16,116
Liked 32 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gixxerbill View Post
its not up a little Its up all the way (to like sharpen the blades or shorten it for storage)
That is more likely to damage CV/U joints, not the valve keeper.
JetMechZ16 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 AM
  #19  
FLA-C3
CF Senior Member
 
FLA-C3's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: West coast of the east coast Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,188
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

FLA-C3 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 AM
  #20  
~Josh
CF Senior Member
 
~Josh's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2007
Location: 🌎🇺🇸
Posts: 14,056
Liked 412 Times in 312 Posts
Default

Make her "earn" the repair.
~Josh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grasshopper Motor is Ruined Afterall


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: