Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:16 PM
morepwr
CF Senior Member

If the meds are not super expensive and you can afford it then I would try it and see how she responds. Did the vet give you any guess as to how quick the meds would help? My dog has a liver problem and the meds he is on took about 2 weeks before I could tell he was feeling better and more active.

I can certainly understand wanting a 2nd opinion but not wanting another $400 vet bill. It gets expensive quick.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:34 PM
MusicBiz
CF Member

Aero, we're going through the same thing with our 9 year old rescue mutt. We only got her a year ago (her previous owner passed and she was sitting in a kill shelter - we couldn't leave her there). The coughing led us to take her to the vet and an MRI (I think) showed the enlarged heart.
She's on three meds, likely the same as your girl. She drinks more and pees more now - we take turns letting her out overnight and have pads out for her if we don't make it.
Other than that, she's her usual self (was always a little chubby and never the most active). Vet says to go easy on her so most walks are brief.
They did a followup MRI and the heart is unchanged after 6 months so they're happy with the job the meds are doing.
All you can do is keep an eye on her and let her set her own pace. The meds are good at what they do but you may need to adjust your expectations of what she's capable of physically.
These dogs always break our hearts in the end - they're family without the B/S that people bring.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 PM
RandolphB
CF Senior Member

Our old boy. Max, who we lost about a year and a half ago had congestive heart failure. Part of the condition was allowing excess fluids to build up in his body cavities. Doc gave him Vetmedin, and there was an immediate improvement. He was 100% more active and happy, and was able to do short walks again. Missing a dose showed problems right away. In the end, the fluid buildup was too much to keep up with (including walk-in surgery to drain him...). but the med gave him about almost two full and happy (if somewhat frail) years.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by morepwr View Post
If the meds are not super expensive and you can afford it then I would try it and see how she responds. Did the vet give you any guess as to how quick the meds would help? My dog has a liver problem and the meds he is on took about 2 weeks before I could tell he was feeling better and more active.

I can certainly understand wanting a 2nd opinion but not wanting another $400 vet bill. It gets expensive quick.
Everything I read and was told, says improvement is fairly soon.

Originally Posted by MusicBiz View Post
Aero, we're going through the same thing with our 9 year old rescue mutt. We only got her a year ago (her previous owner passed and she was sitting in a kill shelter - we couldn't leave her there). The coughing led us to take her to the vet and an MRI (I think) showed the enlarged heart.
She's on three meds, likely the same as your girl. She drinks more and pees more now - we take turns letting her out overnight and have pads out for her if we don't make it.
Other than that, she's her usual self (was always a little chubby and never the most active). Vet says to go easy on her so most walks are brief.
They did a followup MRI and the heart is unchanged after 6 months so they're happy with the job the meds are doing.
All you can do is keep an eye on her and let her set her own pace. The meds are good at what they do but you may need to adjust your expectations of what she's capable of physically.
These dogs always break our hearts in the end - they're family without the B/S that people bring.
Meds are Vetmedin, Eprinol(sp?) and a diuretic. So it is heart, BP, and fluids being addressed. The doctor did not paint a doom and glom at all. BUT she did say this was basically buying time on the inevitable and that she will be close but not quite what she was.

Originally Posted by RandolphB View Post
Our old boy. Max, who we lost about a year and a half ago had congestive heart failure. Part of the condition was allowing excess fluids to build up in his body cavities. Doc gave him Vetmedin, and there was an immediate improvement. He was 100% more active and happy, and was able to do short walks again. Missing a dose showed problems right away. In the end, the fluid buildup was too much to keep up with (including walk-in surgery to drain him...). but the med gave him about almost two full and happy (if somewhat frail) years.
Two years would be great. I know she's old. I just don't want her to suffer. I had a GS that went deaf, lost bladder control, could not walk well from bad hips and it was heart wrenching. I knew the time was very near. She NEVER left the yard EVER and I let her out and she disappeared. In the end, she did me a favor. I assume she wandered off to die and spared me the heartache of putting her down.

Thank you all for the posts.

Last edited by Aerovette; 02-02-2017 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:14 PM
slewfoot1956
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
Long read.

I am contemplating a second opinion but before I get another $400.00 vet bill, I wanted to get some real life feedback.

I'm no Vet but since most of us go back a ways, you may recall my Long hair Chihuahua Maxx who passed in May 2012. Over a 3 month period, we spent $3500.

He to had congestive heart failure. He was 11 years old and during the time, cost was not a factor, Maxx was a family member with all rights and privileges thereof.

Congestive heart failure makes it very difficult for them to breath. If his nose is in the air all the time, he is trying to breath and is somewhat suffering.

We got 3 more months with Maxx from it all. it was worth it to have a clear conscience knowing we did all we could instead of just saying fk it and putting him down.

The whole thing caught us by surprise because even at 11 years old which is old for a dog,,we considered him the baby compared to Fredo who at the time of Maxx's passing , was 17 yrs old and made it 2 more years.

I say spend the $400 and have a good nights sleep

Last edited by slewfoot1956; 02-02-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:54 AM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

I am very sorry to hear your K9 Friend is ill!

As our dog approached 14 years, last November, his health went down hill quickly. Vet said 2 months time is approx. a year to a dog.

We decided to send Jay to heaven, when his quality of life got poor.

"Better two weeks too soon, than a day too late" We cried.

prayer sent.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:25 AM
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

bless you for taking her in and giving her the best any dog could want

we went through the same scenario with our Beagle.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:35 AM
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.

St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17

dogs are the best.

Old 02-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by War Eagle ZO6 View Post
dogs are the best.

I find it interesting that we humans are willing to repeatedly endure the pain that losing them causes. We know we will outlive all except possibly the very last pet we own. I have sworn after a loss, I will never go through that pain again...and then another one grabs your heart.

The Ladybug story - My wife and I were looking at houses and on a rainy, kind of cool day we drove past a construction trailer and she was just sitting there cold and wet. We tried to get her to come to us, but she was so afraid she would not let us get closer than about 20 feet. We finally gave up. The site was about 5 miles from our house. About a week later we were on our way home from shopping and the dog darted across the street. Same dog. Now she was about 1/4 mile from our house. We tried to get her, but no luck. About 3 days later I heard barking outside the front door. She was laying in our flower bed and barking at any people that walked by the house. My wife took food out to her, but she would not eat unless we were in the house. Eventually she got her to eat out of her hand. I feel awful for saying this, but I didn't want to keep her because we already had two dogs. Anyway, she hung out and played guard dog for about a week and suddenly she was gone. For about 2 or 3 days she was no where around. We figured the owners finally found her. One morning while getting ready for work, my wife yells to me that the dog is back and she is bleeding and limping. We took her to the vet and the vet figured she was hit by a car. They were not sure she would make it. They said if she pulled through, she may not ever walk right...AND, she had heartworms. Well, I found myself getting a lump in my throat and watery eyes over a dog that wasn't even mine and that I didn't want and now may have to put down. $780.00 later, she became ours. She went through the heartworm treatment and her leg was perfectly fine when it healed. She's been ours for many years now and when my wife left, she left Ladybug with me and my other dog. She LOVES my mom, is a good barking watch dog (never bites) and is the sweetest, most gentle dog ever.

Funny story, I will call and call her and she doesn't hear and doesn't come. I figured she was going deaf. I would call her to eat, call her to go outside and she just never heard anything. I started using hand gestures because I was sure she had gone deaf. Then one day I bought some Milk Bones and asked both dogs if they wanted a treat. When I said the word "treat" she started running all over the place and bouncing around. I then knew her deafness was "selective" and I just wasn't saying anything she wanted to hear...reminded me of my wife.

Thank you all for the well wishes. I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:00 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
Haven't had that experience with any of my pups but thinking positive thoughts for you and your puppy. Good luck and hopefully the meds and input from here will be helpful.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:19 PM
ThePirate
CF Senior Member

MY Max says he's praying for your dog.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:46 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
MY Max says he's praying for your dog.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:28 AM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

I know it's only been three days, but this seems to be going the wrong direction. She is pacing, restless, and unsteady on her feet. If she lays down it's for maybe a minute and then she starts pacing the house This is so sad. She is eating ok, drinking water ok, but she walks around like a near zombie dog. Like she is waiting for something or looking for something.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:50 AM
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member

I know it's only been three days, but this seems to be going the wrong direction. She is pacing, restless, and unsteady on her feet. If she lays down it's for maybe a minute and then she starts pacing the house This is so sad. She is eating ok, drinking water ok, but she walks around like a near zombie dog. Like she is waiting for something or looking for something.
If you let her out she will disappear she is looking for a place to die. Give her love and a box that she can lay in and hide like a cave. Or make her a blanket tent
Old 02-04-2017, 12:09 PM
The_Dude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Take her back to the vet.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Sorry to hear, are the gums getting whiter?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post

Do what's best for her. Avoid heroic efforts to keep her alive, if it come to that. Dogs don't understand. Prayer sent for your little family member!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Stevedore
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Wishing all the best for your pup; hope he gets well.

Our 13 year-old Shetland Sheepdog, Max, developed a similar problem a couple of years ago. Couldn't seem to get comfortable, would stand up with an unusually loud honking cough as if he were trying to clear his throat, etc. The vet diagnosed a heart murmur & fluid retention. After a quick x-ray & ultrasound to confirm, she prescribed Lasix (diuretic) and Enalapril for his heart. He immediatley improved, and has been doing great since then. He's had a couple of followup ultrasounds since then, and his condition has improved. She's since recommended giving him the Lasix less frequently, and more on an "as-needed" basis. So we monitor his apparent comfort level, and especially if he does one of those coughs (which are nowhere near as bad as when he first exhibited the problem), we give him a Lasix in the morning or evening.

If you feel that he's not getting better, you might consider trying another vet. It gets expensive, and only you can decide what fits your situation. We're a few thousand $ into Max's problem, and over $6K so far with another of our dogs who had a stroke to her spinal cord back in the Fall. (She's also doing great) But we're old & retired; what else do we have to do with our $$? Leave it to our kids? Hah!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

I'm not a vet, but suspect that, since she apparently has CHF, she will probably be uncomfortable lying down until the fluid in the lungs has drained off a bit. In humans, we elevate the head of the bed a bit to help with that, so maybe you can elevate her upper body somehow if she will let you? She walks around like a zombie because she is tired and cannot sleep well, just like we do. If she is not improving, I would try to contact the vet and let them know what's happening.

I'm sorry your girl isn't feeling well. I had a cat with CHF a few years back. It didn't work out well for us, but some animals can do quite well for a few years with appropriate treatment. Good luck.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I took her back yesterday morning. The vet pulled her off the meds. Observe until Tuesday and then they'll do an ultrasound. Liver enzymes are good, blood work came back good. The vet is stumped.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: