Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

 
Old 02-05-2017, 10:02 AM
  #41  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I took her back yesterday morning. The vet pulled her off the meds. Observe until Tuesday and then they'll do an ultrasound. Liver enzymes are good, blood work came back good. The vet is stumped.
Vet is not stumped the dog is old and the vet is milking you.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:57 AM
  #42  
Mikeceli
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2002
Location: Petaluma CA
Posts: 11,473
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
Vet is not stumped the dog is old and the vet is milking you.
I am afraid this may be true.
Mikeceli is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:06 AM
  #43  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mikeceli View Post
I am afraid this may be true.
I have worked with many vets and the U of M. Sometimes it is the owners fault by being blinded by love but most of the time it is the vet taking advantage of it.

Whe it is time to let go best to do it at home with love and not to stress your loved one.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:53 AM
  #44  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,470
Thanked 182 Times in 119 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
Vet is not stumped the dog is old and the vet is milking you.

I have no reason to believe this to be true. My previous vet? Absolutely. This one, no.
Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 AM
  #45  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,030
Thanked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I have no reason to believe this to be true. My previous vet? Absolutely. This one, no.
In all likelihood, your vet is genuinely trying to help. If vets really wanted to make money, they would have gotten into a different line of work.
The_Dude is online now  
Old 02-05-2017, 12:54 PM
  #46  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I have no reason to believe this to be true. My previous vet? Absolutely. This one, no.
Then it is you. Dogs average 10 to 13 years. Reading your post this makes yours on the high side as far as you know and had hartworm that did damage. I know you love her but think what is best for her. I have never had a dog that liked going to the vet. Prayers sent.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
  #47  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
In all likelihood, your vet is genuinely trying to help. If vets really wanted to make money, they would have gotten into a different line of work.
When was the last time you went to a vet? I went to farrier school years ago so I could learn and do most of my own vet work.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:24 PM
  #48  
Meh
CF Senior Member
 
Meh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 25,788
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Antfarmer doesn't need things like evidence. If your dog is older and gets sick, just let it die. If it has something that is potentially correctable and would allow a couple more years of good life, no matter, it had a good run... Unfortunately, judging by his response in Afy's thread, he apparently feels the same way about people. I hope his wife doesn't share his opinion on the matter.

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
When was the last time you went to a vet? I went to farrier school years ago so I could learn and do most of my own vet work.
I have two vets currently and they are both excellent. Everything they do is supported by current evidence-based practice standards, which I research after the visit if I haven't already done so. Just a few months ago, we had a cat develop cancer. She was otherwise healthy and nowhere near normal life expectancy age. Given the type of cancer, the vet advised doing nothing other than make her comfortable because it would have been an expensive treatment regimen without significantly improving her chance of survival. Sorry, but your anecdotal evidence does not trump actual evidence or even the anecdotal evidence of others, and it's quite clear that there are plenty of vets out there who are not trying to take advantage of people for money.
Meh is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:53 PM
  #49  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Meh View Post
Antfarmer doesn't need things like evidence. If your dog is older and gets sick, just let it die. If it has something that is potentially correctable and would allow a couple more years of good life, no matter, it had a good run... Unfortunately, judging by his response in Afy's thread, he apparently feels the same way about people. I hope his wife doesn't share his opinion on the matter.

I agree but there are many that do not have the best interest of others and looking for the all mighty dollar I have met many in both fields. I took the time to read both posts and gave my advice take it or leave it. Or just troll around with your nose up my *** makes no differance to me.



I have two vets currently and they are both excellent. Everything they do is supported by current evidence-based practice standards, which I research after the visit if I haven't already done so. Just a few months ago, we had a cat develop cancer. She was otherwise healthy and nowhere near normal life expectancy age. Given the type of cancer, the vet advised doing nothing other than make her comfortable because it would have been an expensive treatment regimen without significantly improving her chance of survival. Sorry, but your anecdotal evidence does not trump actual evidence or even the anecdotal evidence of others, and it's quite clear that there are plenty of vets out there who are not trying to take advantage of people for money.
If you bothered to read Afy's thread he is ready to pay 10 grand to kill himself. I told him I would go to my dream place and have a good time. I know how many doctor's my wife got passed around to and what they did and tried to defend it so I understand your mentality and greed.

That is if you are a doctor like you claim.


You know nothing about my wife or I so kindly shut the **** up *******. All I have to go by on the OP's posts are what they choose to share and I do my best to help with my life experiance. You are free to share yours as well. I thought this is what the forum was for.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 02-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 PM
  #50  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,030
Thanked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
When was the last time you went to a vet? I went to farrier school years ago so I could learn and do most of my own vet work.
I married one. With the amount of school they need, for the pay they earn, believe me, they didn't do it for the money.
The_Dude is online now  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:48 PM
  #51  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I married one. With the amount of school they need, for the pay they earn, believe me, they didn't do it for the money.
I have a lot of respect for what they had to learn. I met a lot of them when I worked with the teachers at U of M. But I have seen some that abused their position for financial gain. But that is sadly everywhere.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 PM
  #52  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,030
Thanked 147 Times in 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
I have a lot of respect for what they had to learn. I met a lot of them when I worked with the teachers at U of M. But I have seen some that abused their position for financial gain. But that is sadly everywhere.
There are always some bad apples in every bunch.
The_Dude is online now  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:01 PM
  #53  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
There are always some bad apples in every bunch.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
  #54  
MyOtherCar
CF Senior Member
 
MyOtherCar's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Gurley (Keel Mtn, Sweet Home) Alabama
Posts: 2,865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

To the OP.... the pic of your pooch is what led me to read through this thread. I too have a Yellow Lab, Keelie will be 15 come April. Long age for a dog, for a Lab at that, but I want to believe I've provided her with a good life.

She has never been sick except having heartworms one time, but now she is getting sicker with each day passing and I am at a loss to know when it is the end.

She developed myelopathy about 9 months ago. Previous to that by maybe a year I started her on Glucosamine. That helped her to get around a little easier, going for walks, steps.... Treatment now includes perodic shots of Adequan, started about every 4 weeks, but she improved and received the shots up to 8 weeks apart. But now the effect is minimal.

She is having troubles with her bowel movements, as if she had minimal control, hind quarters seem to be going limp all too often.

Yet she eats really good, drinks water, eyes sparkle when its time to go outside, we go for very short walks which she seems to enjoy. Spends a lot of time sleeping.

I see her ups and downs every day, yet it is so difficult to.......
MyOtherCar is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:10 AM
  #55  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

I have had many dogs will do just that. He might not know that and might not have the closure that him and is family might need. If this happend And I knew it could and did not tell them I would feel bad.

And yes many vets will do this. And yes everything does die. I have had many dogs and have been through this many times. That is some sort of a lab mix by the looks of it and it is rare that they live to be 13. And by their figures she is at least that old. So I am so sorry that I jumped to any conclusion but I believe that is why he posted to get others thoughts. I gave mine. Once again I am sorry if is not what you wanted to hear. But again I was not ******* talking to you. So find someone else to troll and stop wasting my time. Trying to explain my every thought to your ignorant *** is a waste of my time. Learn to read for yourself and STFU.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:17 AM
  #56  
Meh
CF Senior Member
 
Meh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 25,788
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
I have had many dogs will do just that. He might not know that and might not have the closure that him and is family might need. If this happend And I knew it could and did not tell them I would feel bad.

And yes many vets will do this. And yes everything does die. I have had many dogs and have been through this many times. That is some sort of a lab mix by the looks of it and it is rare that they live to be 13. And by their figures she is at least that old. So I am so sorry that I jumped to any conclusion but I believe that is why he posted to get others thoughts. I gave mine. Once again I am sorry if is not what you wanted to hear. But again I was not ******* talking to you. So find someone else to troll and stop wasting my time. Trying to explain my every thought to your ignorant *** is a waste of my time. Learn to read for yourself and STFU.
I guess the issue is that it's impossible to have a logical debate with you since you don't believe in the stuff.
Meh is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:48 PM
  #57  
Aerovette
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Aerovette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2001
Location: MAGA !!!
Posts: 28,470
Thanked 182 Times in 119 Posts
Default

So here is the rundown...

Heart is enlarged (but the heart meds and BP meds seemed to make her worse and have been halted)
Abdomen distended
She is pacing constantly and then sleeps.
Appetite has dropped
Pants a lot
Liver appears mottled on x-ray
Liver enzymes normal
Doesn't seem to hear or no longer recognizes commands.
Wants to be near people (new behavior)

She used to be terrified to walk on ceramic tile and always stayed on the carpet. She has "forgotten" that fear.
Used to be afraid of the vacuum and has forgotten that fear
Coughs on occasion


The vet is leaning toward liver and build up of toxins causing disorientation and "drunken" behavior.

We are going to try 400mg / day of SAMe to see if it helps.
Aerovette is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 02:54 PM
  #58  
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2015
Posts: 15,883
Thanked 561 Times in 542 Posts
Default

Prayers sent for her and your family.
antfarmer2 is offline  
Old 02-06-2017, 03:00 PM
  #59  
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member
 
Dave concrete's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: long Island NY
Posts: 12,260
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
I married one. With the amount of school they need, for the pay they earn, believe me, they didn't do it for the money.
Some make big dollars some don't. I have done work for dozens of them over the years and their lifestyles seem greatly different. The ones that seem to make big $$$ are the specialty ones like my old vet who specialized in exotics and birds. Another one was a traveling surgeon who his only thing was cruciate surgery. He did on average 3 a day, some times as much as 6 for dozens of different vets who don't physically do the surgery. He would show up at a specific time and do just the surgery for a flat rate.
Dave concrete is online now  
Old 02-06-2017, 03:06 PM
  #60  
Der Flieger
CF Senior Member
 
Der Flieger's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Posts: 9,933
Thanked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Default

The dog is in misery. Tough decision to make, but necessary. BTDT many times, but I always find another rescue dog that needs kindness and love.
Der Flieger is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: