Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Every dog lover knows your pain.
QFT
o
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Rest easy Ladybug.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 PM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

Sorry my friend!

Hugs from Wendel and I.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:08 PM
Nimrod
CF Senior Member

Location: Willow Glen, California............................ "But... Chunks is our dog!"...

Originally Posted by Covfefe View Post
Every dog lover knows your pain.
Thatís for sure. Godspeed little one. Say hi to Ozzy and Abby for me...
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 PM
grady
CF Senior Member

You guys are absolutely killing me. My baby is into her 17th year and started getting seizures a month ago on my birthday. Meds have gotten that somewhat under control but it has taken its toll on her. Today she has gotten to the point of not being able to stand or walk, has eaten very little that I have hand fed, no pottying at all and sleeping almost all day. I know the end is near but I do thank God to have been blessed all these years.

Nothing like a wonderful dog. God bless everyone who has to face this inevitably of life.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:23 AM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by grady View Post
You guys are absolutely killing me. My baby is into her 17th year and started getting seizures a month ago on my birthday.
17 years is a fantastic run for a dog. Take some solace in that fact.

That's 7 years longer than we had with ours.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:24 AM
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'07-'09-'10,í17

Originally Posted by grady View Post
You guys are absolutely killing me. My baby is into her 17th year and started getting seizures a month ago on my birthday. Meds have gotten that somewhat under control but it has taken its toll on her. Today she has gotten to the point of not being able to stand or walk, has eaten very little that I have hand fed, no pottying at all and sleeping almost all day. I know the end is near but I do thank God to have been blessed all these years.

Nothing like a wonderful dog. God bless everyone who has to face this inevitably of life.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM
VandelayIndustries
CF Senior Member

So sorry. Rest in peace, Ladybug.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:10 AM
Snorkie
CF Senior Member

Aero,

You are not thinking right on this. Your heartache is secondary to your solemn responsibility to release her from a life where she cannot be a dog. That is a living hell for dogs especially when there is pain involved. Her pain and situation makes yours trivial in comparison.

When you buy a puppy, you know the day will come. Thatís when you take on the complete responsibility for the life and well being of that dog. You learn to respect each other. The dog will do anything to please and serve you - a lifetime of unconditional love.

When that well being is gone, then your responsibility continues to itís conclusion. Both you and your pet will know when itís time. Then you do the right thing.

This is not directed at you, but too often I see dogs suffering out of the selfishness of the owner who canít let go.

Dont feel bad that you are responsible. That is your promise to her you made 17 years ago. She is counting on you.

I do do recommend getting a puppy. I have enlarged photos of all my dogs and I admit I get something in my eye occasionally when I walk past them. It hurts. A puppy wonít take away the hurt but will remind you of the joy.

Get a 12-13 week old German Shepherd Dog. You will thank me two years from now. You will curse me for the first two years.

Last edited by Snorkie; 03-15-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Aero,

You are not thinking right on this. Your heartache is secondary to your solemn responsibility to release her from a life where she cannot be a dog. That is a living hell for dogs especially when there is pain involved. Her pain and situation makes yours trivial in comparison.

When you buy a puppy, you know the day will come. Thatís when you take on the complete responsibility for the life and well being of that dog. You learn to respect each other. The dog will do anything to please and serve you - a lifetime of unconditional love.

When that well being is gone, then your responsibility continues to itís conclusion. Both you and your pet will know when itís time. Then you do the right thing.

This is not directed at you, but too often I see dogs suffering out of the selfishness of the owner who canít let go.

Dont feel bad that you are responsible. That is your promise to her you made 17 years ago. She is counting on you.

I do do recommend getting a puppy. I have enlarged photos of all my dogs and I admit I get something in my eye occasionally when I walk past them. It hurts. A puppy wonít take away the hurt but will remind you of the joy.

Get a 12-13 week old German Shepherd Dog. You will thank me two years from now. You will curse me for the first two years.
I have been known to talk to my big dog's picture on occasion. I asked him to look out for Ladybug when she gets there.

Shifting gears, I have considered a GS, but my fears of hip problems have kept me away. I had one years ago. Best behaved animal EVER.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM
SoFloVette
CF Senior Member

Welp, this thread destroyed me. My girl will be 13 this year and I know I don't have much more time with her. My fear is that I will go into depression when "that day" comes.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Meh
CF Senior Member

Enjoy your time. I only got 5 years with the most amazing dog I've ever met before cancer took her life. **** cancer.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:57 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

I suggest those of you that still have your dog(s) go home tonight and give them the biggest hug you can. Treat them special because their time is limited. I am at the point where my next dog could eat the entire couch and I will just let it go. I think back to the couple of times I got mad at her for accidents in the house and it was energy wasted and a lost chance to be kind instead of angry.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:03 PM
SoFloVette
CF Senior Member

I made the mistake of watching the movie "Marley & Me" I was crying like a 12 year old school girl who got her iphone taken away.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoFloVette View Post
I made the mistake of watching the movie "Marley & Me" I was crying like a 12 year old school girl who got her iphone taken away.
I know of the movie. I have avoided it like the plague.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:51 PM
426 Hemi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
I think back to the couple of times I got mad at her for accidents in the house and it was energy wasted and a lost chance to be kind instead of angry.
I went camping with our 16 y.o. rescue a few days before we let her go. She was on the bed and pulled my full bowl of beef and gravy off the stove and onto the bed. Nothing she would have done in the past. It landed upright and unspilled. I just laughed and held it for her to finish off.

I see her everyday (minute?) on the mousepad made with her picture on it. Seems to help for some reason.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

I suggest those of you that still have your dog(s) go home tonight and give them the biggest hug you can. Treat them special because their time is limited. I am at the point where my next dog could eat the entire couch and I will just let it go. I think back to the couple of times I got mad at her for accidents in the house and it was energy wasted and a lost chance to be kind instead of angry.
absolutely. Sheís curled up against now on the couch as I surf.
Old 03-16-2019, 12:22 PM
need-for-speed
CF Senior Member

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Aero,

I like this philosophy. Hopefully it makes it a little easier when that day comes.

German shepherds are cool. Smart and protective w/o being psycho. If if I ever get a big dog, it will be a German Shepherd
Old 03-16-2019, 12:34 PM
dvarapala
Making CFOT Great Again
Support Corvetteforum!

I have been known to talk to my big dog's picture on occasion. I asked him to look out for Ladybug when she gets there.
Originally Posted by SoFloVette View Post
Welp, this thread destroyed me. My girl will be 13 this year and I know I don't have much more time with her. My fear is that I will go into depression when "that day" comes.
Our dog died of cancer way back in 2002, and I still teared up reading this thread.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:35 AM
Snorkie
CF Senior Member

Shifting gears, I have considered a GS, but my fears of hip problems have kept me away. I had one years ago. Best behaved animal EVER.
hip issues are more common in American line GSDs. Also with pet store and back yard breeders. Good breeders have the parents certified for hips. However, Germanyís gov controls breeding there. Dogs cannot bebred until they have achieved certain titles in state run competitions and have hip certification.

In other words, get. German working line. They have completely different structures and wayyyyy better genetics. They also cost about $2k unfortunately.

My boy Shadow is a damn tank. 100 lbs even. Can jump six feet high from a standing position. Strong as an ox.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sick dog thread. Feedback appreciated.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: