Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Anyone use A/C Pro air conditioning recharge?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Anyone use A/C Pro air conditioning recharge?

Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 PM
RubberBill
CF Senior Member

Location: "If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb & silent we may be led like sheep to the slaught
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by TGO View Post
Don't put that **** in your AC.

If your AC needs a "charge." It has a leak somewhere. This is a band aid. And will make future servicing of the system a headache and more expensive when the leak eventually returns.
I call

I put it in my daughters Saturn 4 years ago and it's still going strong.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:36 AM
TGO
CF Senior Member

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
And how is it ****? It's 134a just like anything else. Now what are you saying there are different grades of 134a and some are better than others? lol You don't have to get it with the sealer.
Well I mean if you look at the video they are advertising a "fully synthetic formula" with "superior cooling power." So according to the brand you're defending...yeah there are. However I did not say that.

If you can get it without the sealer then do that and let it keep leaking, like I already said. Otherwise I stand by my claim. I would not run a sealer through my AC system.

There's a lot more to having a properly functioning AC system than buying a can at Autozone. There's a reason real shops have all that equipment to do the job right.

Last edited by TGO; 06-18-2017 at 01:37 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:27 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 147 Times in 76 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

The point you guys are missing is what sealers can do to the internal workings of your AC system.

It can clog your evap core.

It can clog your orifice tube.

It reduces the dryers ability to remove moisture from the system.

That's not even getting in to how cheap and inaccurate that gauge on the can is. And the problems that can come from overfilling your system as well.

ALL of these things will add up to a lot more than what it would have cost to have the leak pinpointed, fixed and have the system properly evacuated and refilled. But hey it will work for a few months right?

If you and Billy Bob wanna take the cheap route thinking you're helping yourself out...you'd be better off just adding straight refrigerant every few weeks and let it continue to leak out slowly.

If your system has depressurized then I'd fix it properly because you definitely have moisture in there which - yes - will be catastrophic.

As far as trading the car and dumping it on someone else...that's your decision.

You guys use fix a flat too?
A/C Fact: The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) designed the A/C fittings that are on your vehicle. These fittings have a SAE acceptable leakage rate of 1/4 ounce of refrigerant per year per fitting. That does not sound like a lot, but the average vehicle has 8 fittings. This means that you are losing 2 ounces of refrigerant per year. It is recommended that you service your air conditioning every 2 years. This will ensure that your compressor is never “starving” for oil. The older vehicles used to have systems that held upwards of 36 ounces of refrigerant. Today’s vehicles have much smaller systems that require as little as 15 ounces of refrigerant. The need to service your air conditioning has become much more important with these reduced capacities or system damage will occur. I honestly don't think it looses this much but some seepage over time does happen.
Well I mean if you look at the video they are advertising a "fully synthetic formula" with "superior cooling power." So according to the brand you're defending...yeah there are. However I did not say that.

If you can get it without the sealer then do that and let it keep leaking, like I already said. Otherwise I stand by my claim. I would not run a sealer through my AC system.

There's a lot more to having a properly functioning AC system than buying a can at Autozone. There's a reason real shops have all that equipment to do the job right.
Did. Not. Read.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:44 AM
BadUmp
CF Senior Member

Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Red L98 View Post
Did. Not. Read.
folks, you really need to post up a videos with your written comments so little redass can follow along - - - help the poor guy out . . .

Old 06-18-2017, 11:15 AM
71 Green 454
CF Senior Member

Liked 161 Times in 144 Posts

$40 bucks a can? They are $8.99 in Auto Zone.
I've never bought a can, for me it's easier to purchase a 30# jug...that way it's always on hand, ready to use, and cheaper.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Sky High
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 View Post
I've never bought a can, for me it's easier to purchase a 30# jug...that way it's always on hand, ready to use, and cheaper.
Unless your using that stuff like crazy, for the average person that uses it once in a blue moon I don't see a reason to spend $129 to have it on hand. Having a can or two around for the occasional 5 year usage is fine by me.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:36 AM
71 Green 454
CF Senior Member

Liked 161 Times in 144 Posts

Unless your using that stuff like crazy, for the average person that uses it once in a blue moon I don't see a reason to spend $129 to have it on hand. Having a can or two around for the occasional 5 year usage is fine by me.
That's what they said when I purchased jugs of R12.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Liked 61 Times in 54 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2 View Post
I buy mine off ebay by the case so I have it for family and friends comes out to about 4 bucks a can. I find that most the time it is the fill valve leaking. Just pull off the cap and finger a bit of spit in it and look for bubbles. It is a very easy fix to remove the valve core and replace with out losing freon.
How do you replace the Schrader (valve core) valve without losing the freon?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by dstiger View Post
Thanks for the replies-

I had not thought about the "gunk up your equipment" aspect.

If the car was a beater, probably would use it.

But I have an low mile Supercharged 04 F150 that I have had from new, and plan on keeping a long while.

AC blows cool cold, but not ice cold. I have never had it serviced. So 13 years, original freon.

My C6Z06 will freeze you out on the hottest of hot days- so I have that for comparison to the truck.
If its a low mile meaning it doesn't get driven much then just put some regular freon in it and forget about it. The compressor uses a wick type sealing system, and if the system is not run enough to keep the seal wet some freon will eventually leak out especially on Fords. There is probably nothing wrong with it, stop over thinking it.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:17 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

I would only add freon only if needed is it on recycle? Your cab is bigger in your truck.
You mean recirculate?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:24 PM
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member

Liked 561 Times in 542 Posts

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer View Post
Why is that crazy? If you lose the freon you have to do all kinds of work and replace the freon that is.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:28 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Why is that crazy? If you lose the freon you have to do all kinds of work and replace the freon that is.
You know what makes this response even funnier?
You have no idea whatsoever?
I'm going to let someone else say why your response is so funny.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member

You know what makes this response even funnier?
You have no idea whatsoever?
I'm going to let someone else say why your response is so funny.
So you are just ******* with me? And I have no idea? I have done it many times.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Sky High
CF Senior Member

Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454 View Post
That's what they said when I purchased jugs of R12.
I hear ya there. R-12 is like gold now. How much is a 30lb can now, something like $450-$500 bucks? Individual cans 12-14oz sell for $30 bucks on E-bay.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:04 PM
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member

If you seriously do not know how to do this let me know.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:58 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

Ok I'll play along. How are you going to replace the Schrader valve in a system that already has freon in it without losing the freon
Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Ok I'll play along. How are you going to replace the Schrader valve in a system that already has freon in it without losing the freon

Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Liked 196 Times in 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger View Post

Can't wait to hear this one.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:14 PM
antfarmer2
CF Senior Member

With this I have removed many cores without losing whatever is in it. It has a ball valve that you can remove the core through then shut it to hold pressure. Good to see even after a century you are still willing to learn.

Damn no wonder every one thinks I am a know it all. Looks like the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 06-18-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM
centuryoldracer
CF Senior Member

With this I have removed many cores without losing whatever is in it. It has a ball valve that you can remove the core through then shut it to hold pressure. Good to see even after a century you are still willing to learn.

Damn no wonder every one thinks I am a know it all. Looks like the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind.
Please put the shovel down and stop digging You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Is that some kind of screen shot of a utube video

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone use A/C Pro air conditioning recharge?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: