Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

People reporting loud boom sounds - is this happening in anyone else's area?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

People reporting loud boom sounds - is this happening in anyone else's area?

Old 12-31-2017, 12:57 AM
J S Machine
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker
Default People reporting loud boom sounds - is this happening in anyone else's area?

Seems like about once a month, people get into the practice of reporting on social media that they hear loud booms in my area. I am in a rural part of AL.

So then comes all the speculation of what it could be. Among the top suggestions are sonic booms from aircraft or tannerite. Nobody has owned up to it and the Sheriff's Office never figures out for sure what it is.

Are sonice booms from military aircraft or other types really that common? Seems like I heard once they are not allowed to do that close to the ground, We do see some jets but most of the time they are just plugging along, never really moving fast.

is tannerite that common? I have heard of the stuff but never used any or even know anybody that has.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:37 AM
pewter99
Admin
Support Corvetteforum!

Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

we had that here a few weeks ago
Old 12-31-2017, 04:32 AM
Olustee bus
CF Senior Member

nypost.com/2017/11/23/nobody-can-explain-loud-booms-heard-worldwide/

nypost.com/2017/11/23/nobody-can-explain-loud-booms-heard-worldwide/

Last edited by Olustee bus; 12-31-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:54 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Sounds coming from home's attics, and traveling across the cold air

Experts call the noises thermal expansion and contraction.

Meaning the components in your home are shrinking and expanding with extreme temperature changes, especially with the sub-zero temperatures so many of us have been experiencing.

There's motion because the outside temperature is different from the temperature inside of your house, so these differentials could cause movement in a different direction and could create that noise," And when materials are tightly secured with nails or fasteners, and the pressure becomes too great, the energy may be released suddenly and cause a loud noise.

And as unsettling and nerve-wracking as they sound, it's not usually a sign of danger.

A well-built house should be able to handle it
Old 12-31-2017, 07:20 AM
champs65
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
Seems like about once a month, people get into the practice of reporting on social media that they hear loud booms in my area. I am in a rural part of AL.

So then comes all the speculation of what it could be. Among the top suggestions are sonic booms from aircraft or tannerite. Nobody has owned up to it and the Sheriff's Office never figures out for sure what it is.

Are sonice booms from military aircraft or other types really that common? Seems like I heard once they are not allowed to do that close to the ground, We do see some jets but most of the time they are just plugging along, never really moving fast.

is tannerite that common? I have heard of the stuff but never used any or even know anybody that has.
My money is on Tannerite. People up here in rural PA/NY playing with that all the time.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:30 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Other Possible Explanations....

Meth Lab Explosions ?

Ancient Alien Astronaut Theorists statements of our old friends coming back for a visit to reclaim the planet that us, the genetic mutants they created, built for them ?

As Uncle Louis said at the Dinner Table this Christmas, " A Dump Truck driving through a Nitro Glycerin Plant " ?

Name:  7930-13444.gif
Views: 475
Size:  52.4 KB

Snow Thunder ?

Or perhaps... Meth Lab Explosions ?

Name:  800x546x10,P20years,P20of,P20meth,P20lab,P20explosions-02.jpg.pagespeed.ic._kz_M_OZ3S.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  98.9 KB
Old 12-31-2017, 07:38 AM
Builderrick
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe View Post
Sounds coming from home's attics, and traveling across the cold air

Experts call the noises thermal expansion and contraction.

Meaning the components in your home are shrinking and expanding with extreme temperature changes, especially with the sub-zero temperatures so many of us have been experiencing.

There's motion because the outside temperature is different from the temperature inside of your house, so these differentials could cause movement in a different direction and could create that noise," And when materials are tightly secured with nails or fasteners, and the pressure becomes too great, the energy may be released suddenly and cause a loud noise.

And as unsettling and nerve-wracking as they sound, it's not usually a sign of danger.

A well-built house should be able to handle it

Where did you come up with this B.S.

As a builder for over 30 years I can safely say this NEVER happens or has happened. Sure there may be creaks and small noises as materials expand and contract but NEVER loud booms heard across a neighborhood. TOTAL B.S.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:51 AM
bigblock427
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Builderrick View Post

As a builder for over 30 years I can safely say this NEVER happens or has happened. Sure there may be creaks and small noises as materials expand and contract but NEVER loud booms heard across a neighborhood. TOTAL B.S.

I have been a builder for over 35 years. Simple expansion and contraction caused by temperature changes will not cause that type and magnitude of a sound.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:01 AM
Platoface
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Builderrick View Post

Sorry, I must disagree. I had a large boom almost hit me on the job site about 30 years ago. The crane over extended itself and the truck toppled to its side and I was almost hit by the boom as I was on the opposite side of the house. I looked up just in time to move over before it came crashing down on where I once stood.

Oh, not that type of boom. Never mind.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:09 AM
03 A/E Coupe
CF Senior Member

Technically known as a “Cryoseismic Boom,” or Ice Quakes, The US Geological Survey describes it as a natural phenomenon that produces ground shaking and noises similar to an earthquake, but is caused by sudden deep freezing of the ground.

Name:  download (1).jpg
Views: 459
Size:  14.4 KB

The Weather Channel says they are generally harmless, causing nothing more than small cracks in the ground and a bit of confusion in people.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:13 AM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

It's also being heard in about a two hundred mile circle in mid Alabama. Local TV media has even asked the military if they knew what it was.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:32 AM
C3Dave
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pewter99 View Post
we had that here a few weeks ago
Dec 12, 2017

NORAD confirms fighter jets went supersonic; likely source of loud boom.

A loud boom that shook buildings and frightened residents across west-central Florida on Saturday was likely caused by two fighter jets going supersonic, NORAD said Monday afternoon.

The purpose of the F-15s' mission was not revealed, but NORAD said it was not in response to any threat.

The jets that broke the sound barrier — reaching speeds of 760 mph — are from the 159th Fighter Wing.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command conducts aerospace warning, aerospace control and maritime warning in the defense of North America.

The Lakeland Ledger reported that the jets were on their way to flight restricted air space above President Trump’s Palm Beach estate, Mar-A-Lago, “when they reached supersonic speed somewhere near Polk County.”

NORAD said it’s investigating why it was necessary for the aircraft to break the sound barrier.

Calls flooded law enforcement agencies shortly after the 2 p.m. boom Saturday. Meanwhile, news outlets and local residents — equally confused — took to social media to try to learn more information about the incident.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/featu...212-story.html
Old 12-31-2017, 08:34 AM
War Eagle ZO6
Loser Sr.

St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14, '16-'17

We heard booms here around Athens about a month ago. About 5 or 6 loud...definitely not fireworks or guns. Different points in the sky.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:35 AM
K-Spaz
CF Senior Member

I believe in the Beer Fairy

Flying supersonic over us soil is illegal. that has not been done for probably 35 or 40 years. I remember when I was a kid this area was a military operations area and we had both Sonic booms and all sorts of military flights over the house on a regular basis. Mostly due to people complaining about **** falling off the walls and shelves they put an end to it. Now the military operations area was moved south of here so we don't even have those flights anymore. Before that was changed they still did nap of the earth flying and I recall many times having aircraft go at high speed low altitude over the house. It wasn't much different than a sonic boom really, it would shake the tools off your car when you were working on it. Pretty much anything could be knocked off a table or whatever. We all thought that both the Sonic booms and the nap of the earth flights were cool.

is tannerite that common? I have heard of the stuff but never used any or even know anybody that has
Well you're a guy that fights with knives. You got to get into somebody that fights with guns to find that stuff.

Yes it's very common. Lots of guys at my shooting range bought it. I know neighbors around here who play with it. I have played with it several times and I have some here now. It's pretty cool. It does make one hell of a kaboom. I used to set it off on the side of the mountain which overlooked the valley and I would hear from people 4 miles are 5 miles away that they knew I was out playing with the stuff.

Originally Posted by 03 A/E Coupe View Post
Technically known as a “Cryoseismic Boom,” or Ice Quakes, The US Geological Survey describes it as a natural phenomenon that produces ground shaking and noises similar to an earthquake, but is caused by sudden deep freezing of the ground.

Attachment 48240673

The Weather Channel says they are generally harmless, causing nothing more than small cracks in the ground and a bit of confusion in people.
If this is supposed to be something like the cracking you here when ice on a pond or river or body of water is freezing, I am simply not buying. If they are claiming this then this is something the government knows what is going on and this is some horseshit story to cover it up. I've been around a long time and the ground has been freezing for all of that time and this has never happened. I have been on ponds and I have owned ponds and I can tell you that the ice does definitely crack on them enough to give you about a heart attack when you're standing on it. But you wouldn't hear it from 400 yards away. No the ground does not freeze and heave.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:09 AM
Vette_DD
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

We used to get what sounded like a sonic boom about 3 or 4 times each summer here in southern middle TN, but we have not heard any in the last 7 or 8 years now.

We do still see contrails about 2 or 3 times a month. Note that we are only 10 miles from a USAF base. Although that AF base is a testing facility, it does have a landing field.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 AM
binster
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Old 12-31-2017, 12:49 PM
J S Machine
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses View Post
It's also being heard in about a two hundred mile circle in mid Alabama. Local TV media has even asked the military if they knew what it was.
I guess I didn't specify. I am in central Alabama, but a rural part nonetheless. The reports you are talking about may have been the one James Spann is covering. He calls it something like "Bama boom map" or something, but I can't find a link for it at the moment.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:59 PM
WallyWest
CF Senior Member

Happened in my town a few weeks ago. Kids playing with tannerite.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:07 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

C7 ZR1 speed trials.

My guess is that the US military is upping their exercises to prepare for the inevitable N.Korean conflict.

Last edited by themonk; 12-31-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:04 PM
grandpawmoses
CF Senior Member

I guess I didn't specify. I am in central Alabama, but a rural part nonetheless. The reports you are talking about may have been the one James Spann is covering. He calls it something like "Bama boom map" or something, but I can't find a link for it at the moment.
That's exactly the one I'm talking about.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: People reporting loud boom sounds - is this happening in anyone else's area?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: