Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?

 
Old 01-30-2018, 06:04 PM
  #21  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500 View Post
dad bought me a ''***'' stuka airplane,it made it 1 flight [crashed],then new wing and it hung from my ceiling for 20 years

I also had the *** vega and ski-doo snowmobile
Bummer about the plane. Maybe someday you can get back into the hobby, again. It can be so discouraging though to see your pride and joy just crash so quickly.

Snowmobiles are cool!

Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
The Bear was a turd - even back then But it was all I could afford as a kid. Saved up like a **** and bought the Traxxas - WAY better machine. But took me so long to save up for it - that by then I had damned near outgrown the hobby. I had a Tamiya Coldhopper body for it.

Sold the Sledgehammer, batteries, chargers, controller, aftermarket "hipo" electric motor, 3 sets of spare tires, and all my spare parts for $100 CAD 2 years ago. Considering that I think I paid $300 for it way back then - I wouldn't say I did well

Yes - I think the Hornet and Grasshopper were pretty close. The Super Sabre was actually a 4 wheel drive car. It was pretty cool at the time

Beautiful schematic. It reminds me of the Hotshot. Tamiyas may not have been the best performance wise, but to me they looked the best. Great details, everywhere.

I feel you on taking a loss on RCs. I repainted my Tamiya Grasshopper a two tone color and was surprised someone wanted to buy it. I met a young dude at the mall and he liked it right off. I sold everything (battery car, charger, remote control) for $50.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 06:06 PM
  #22  
my02cents
CF Senior Member
 
my02cents's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2002
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 6,396
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have a hopped up Traxxas Bandit. Fun little car and a fun hobby. I don't mess with it that much lately, but this thread inspired me to bring it out and take it for a spin or two.
my02cents is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 06:19 PM
  #23  
The_Dude
CF Senior Member
 
The_Dude's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Here to make friends
Posts: 41,566
Received 147 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17
Default

Bought one of these for the kid a year ago, but she hasn't taken much interest in it. I'll use to chase around the dogs and cats once in a while.

Amazon Amazon

The_Dude is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 PM
  #24  
gs568
CF Senior Member
 
gs568's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: 24 Willie Mays Plaza S.F. California
Posts: 44,770
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Apparently peteyK has a remote ***** collection.
gs568 is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 07:59 PM
  #25  
kingpin111
CF Senior Member
 
kingpin111's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2004
Location: Saskatoon Saskatchewan
Posts: 7,880
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

I use to have a Galaxy RS which was average until I bought the upgraded motor then totalled it.
Also had a 4 wheel drive chain driven Samurai which was a hell of a lot of fun.
I enjoyed assembling them the most.

My next door neighbour had a Knight rider van(real) and inside it was all custom decked with a couch and carpeting and a stereo. It also housed a bench with his remote controlled truck. That was quick. He use to race cars down the street with it.
kingpin111 is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 08:47 PM
  #26  
The Dingo
CF Senior Member
 
The Dingo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 39,412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-Ď17

Default

I have a Tamiya Toyota Hilux 4x4 from back in the day that I got as a kid and had a Kyosho Progress. I've since sold the Progress and the Hilux is on the market.

I also tried my hand at non off road RC cars but that was less fun as I didnt have much room to use that in. I had a Tamiya Honda S600 which I hopped up with full bearing kit, better motor and electronic speed control. I couldn't keep the damned thing straight after the mods. I gave that away to my BIL, not sure what happened to it. It probably ended up in the trash.


​​​​​
The Dingo is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 PM
  #27  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by my02cents View Post
I have a hopped up Traxxas Bandit. Fun little car and a fun hobby. I don't mess with it that much lately, but this thread inspired me to bring it out and take it for a spin or two.

Glad to hear you were inspired to go back out and play with the Traxxas. I had no idea the Traxxas folks sued Arrma a few months back. Crazy stuff.


Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Bought one of these for the kid a year ago, but she hasn't taken much interest in it. I'll use to chase around the dogs and cats once in a while.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZH0B0R

Thatís too bad your daughter was not bitten by the RC bug. It looks very cool.

Originally Posted by gs568 View Post
Apparently peteyK has a remote ***** collection.


Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
I use to have a Galaxy RS which was average until I bought the upgraded motor then totalled it.
Also had a 4 wheel drive chain driven Samurai which was a hell of a lot of fun.
I enjoyed assembling them the most.

My next door neighbour had a Knight rider van(real) and inside it was all custom decked with a couch and carpeting and a stereo. It also housed a bench with his remote controlled truck. That was quick. He use to race cars down the street with it.
Oh boy the Samurai. I remember seeing it in RC magazines

Your friend had a serious RC shop! Man, this hobby is expensive. I was planning on building the Schumacher Cat buggy, but I think it will be too pricey to buy everything needed. Plus spare parts may be an issue in later years.


Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
I have a Tamiya Toyota Hilux 4x4 from back in the day that I got as a kid and had a Kyosho Progress. I've since sold the Progress and the Hilux is on the market.

I also tried my hand at non off road RC cars but that was less fun as I didnt have much room to use that in. I had a Tamiya Honda S600 which I hopped up with full bearing kit, better motor and electronic speed control. I couldn't keep the damned thing straight after the mods. I gave that away to my BIL, not sure what happened to it. It probably ended up in the trash.


​​​​​
Is that Honda S600 a pretty small RC? I can see it be8ng very hard to control with serious mods.

I remember seeing the Hilux kit. My favorite as a kid was the Subaru Brat and Hotshot.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:34 PM
  #28  
Vitoc
CF Senior Member
 
Vitoc's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2007
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 40,021
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17
Default

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post
Here is a video on the Championship winning Schumacher Cat XLS.

I must confess I had never even heard of this car-- but it is made in the UK. This car is the real deal and reminds me of the legendary Associated RC10 buggy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB4vjhIDpKQ
A buddy and I got an RC10GT circa 1995-1996. That thing was a blast. It was an expensive hobby for two high school kids though.

When my son gets a little older, maybe I'll see if there's any interest for him.
Vitoc is online now  
Old 01-30-2018, 09:40 PM
  #29  
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Strats-N-Vettes's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: ♫ ♪ ♫♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♪ ♫ ♪♪♪ ♫
Posts: 43,267
Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

Forum member Justified has several....even made his own track and makes it a family and friends event.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 PM
  #30  
RMVette
CF Senior Member
 
RMVette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: Matthews NC
Posts: 13,707
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default

Never tried the R/C cars but flew R/C planes back in the late 60's and 70's with my dad. I still have 2 of his radios, one being a Heathkit that he assembled and was very proud of it.
RMVette is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 11:22 PM
  #31  
Klondike
CF Senior Member
 
Klondike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio Texas
Posts: 10,556
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Yeah, my Son had one of those like in the picture in the first post. We had a blast with that thing! All it took was the sound of that little motor whizzing up and all the neighbors cats would haul *** and hide!
Klondike is offline  
Old 01-30-2018, 11:35 PM
  #32  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Klondike View Post
Yeah, my Son had one of those like in the picture in the first post. We had a blast with that thing! All it took was the sound of that little motor whizzing up and all the neighbors cats would haul *** and hide!

My sisters cat thought my RC was alive. It was positively terrified of it.
Originally Posted by RMVette View Post
Never tried the R/C cars but flew R/C planes back in the late 60's and 70's with my dad. I still have 2 of his radios, one being a Heathkit that he assembled and was very proud of it.
Nice! That is wonderful that he has made it into a family gathering. This way, the hobby can be passed down to the children.

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
Forum member Justified has several....even made his own track and makes it a family and friends event.

I hope your son finds that he likes RC. Sadly, we have no track and I donít want to get this Kyosho Javelin dirty, anyway. It will be an on-road car and mainly on display in my room.

Wow, that is great that you had the RC10! My friend had the original one way back when it was introduced and it was light years ahead of my Tamiya Grasshopper. It was like a Corolla vs a Dodge Viper ACR.

Originally Posted by Vitoc View Post
A buddy and I got an RC10GT circa 1995-1996. That thing was a blast. It was an expensive hobby for two high school kids though.

When my son gets a little older, maybe I'll see if there's any interest for him.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 01:08 AM
  #33  
maugust24
CF Senior Member
 
maugust24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Buena Park CA
Posts: 493
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Its only a little addiction

Associated did a re-release on the original RC10 and RC10 Worlds car.











maugust24 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 AM
  #34  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Maugust 24

Amazing! How hard was it finding the re release RC10 and Worlds Car kits? Did you buy them direct from a hobby shop?

I like your display setup.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:13 AM
  #35  
maugust24
CF Senior Member
 
maugust24's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Buena Park CA
Posts: 493
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post
Maugust 24

Amazing! How hard was it finding the re release RC10 and Worlds Car kits? Did you buy them direct from a hobby shop?

I like your display setup.
When they first came out there were a few of the big shops that had them. But I always go to the Associated web site. You just have to watch for them. I dont know if they will release them again or not.

Just went to get you the link. It now says discontinued. So now ebay or etsy and the like.
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...0_Classic_Kit/
maugust24 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 02:17 AM
  #36  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by maugust24 View Post
When they first came out there were a few of the big shops that had them. But I always go to the Associated web site. You just have to watch for them. I dont know if they will release them again or not.

Just went to get you the link. It now says discontinued. So now ebay or etsy and the like.
https://www.teamassociated.com/cars_...0_Classic_Kit/
Hey, I really appreciate the link! Yes, I had no idea they had been reissued until it was too late. The kits were snapped up so fast.

That’s why I ordered two Schumacher kits. I think they may sell out quickly, too. The upgraded transmissions are already on backorder.

Last edited by Patriot10; 01-31-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 AM
  #37  
The Dingo
CF Senior Member
 
The Dingo's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 39,412
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-Ď17

Default

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post
Is that Honda S600 a pretty small RC? I can see it be8ng very hard to control with serious mods.

I remember seeing the Hilux kit. My favorite as a kid was the Subaru Brat and Hotshot.

Yes it was pretty small and had a short wheelbase so it was extra twitchy. I bought it over the fwd version of that chassis with figuring there was no way you'd be able to steer a fwd chassis with mods. Turns out the rwd version wasn't much better. Still I had fun, just ended up doing a lot of donuts when I used it.

I really liked the Hotshot as well, they made some pretty awesome stuff back then.
The Dingo is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 AM
  #38  
mtnman
CF Senior Member
 
mtnman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Location: Millet Alberta
Posts: 9,124
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18
Default

mtnman is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 11:23 AM
  #39  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by The Dingo View Post
Yes it was pretty small and had a short wheelbase so it was extra twitchy. I bought it over the fwd version of that chassis with figuring there was no way you'd be able to steer a fwd chassis with mods. Turns out the rwd version wasn't much better. Still I had fun, just ended up doing a lot of donuts when I used it.

I really liked the Hotshot as well, they made some pretty awesome stuff back then.
Still sounds like it was a fun toy

Yes, I used to watch the Tamiya RC vehicles demo video over and over at my favorite hobby store. They showed a Hotshot at the bottom of a small drop and from a dead stop, it climbed up the side of the drop.

What a special time to be a kid

Last edited by Patriot10; 01-31-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Patriot10 is offline  
Old 01-31-2018, 11:23 AM
  #40  
Patriot10
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Jun 2015
Location: Outer Rim
Posts: 5,483
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Pretty good driving on the part of the rc operator! I saw it do a J-Turn 😋
Patriot10 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: