Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:38 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here? ***PHOTOS in pages 3 & 4**

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I just returned home from Japan and while there, I got to shop at a genuine Tamiya store in Akibahara, Japan. It was called the Super Rajikon store and it had some awesome, re-released retro Tamiya RC vehicles like "The Frog," "The Grasshopper," "Hotshot," and so many more!

I bought (1) Kyosho Javeline buggy kit (re-released) for about 33,000 Japan Yen or around $303.00 US dollars.

I had originally purchased a Tamiya Hotshot the day prior at the same store-- but immediately regretted it as the Hotshot is an inferior RC. The Kyosho Javelin is a re-released retro RC buggy, as well, but it has a much better design.

I'm on an RC binge:

1. Ordered a SECOND Kyosho Javelin kit from Amazon.com

2. Ordered a brand new, re-release Schumacher Cat XLS buggy (IFMAR Championship winner)

3. Ordered a brand new, upgraded transmission kit for the Schumacher

4. Ordered a brand new, Kyosho Optima RC buggy re-release kit

5. Ordered a SECOND Schumacher Cat XLS buggy kit

6. Ordered a SECOND brand new, upgraded transmission kit for the Schumacher

Out of those five RC kits....I'm only going to be building the Kyosho Javelin that I bought from Amazon.com.

The rest will be kept sealed, in their factory boxes and untouched! They will be investment/trophy pieces on display in my man cave. I think out of the four unsealed kits, the Schumacher Cat XLS may prove to be the most collectible and desirable...especially amongst those who are fans in the United Kingdom. The upgraded transmissions are already on back order, and seem to be hard to come by. I feel that time is running out before the company stops pumping out these vintage, re-released kits! Time to get them now.

Share your RCs!

Last edited by Patriot10; 02-13-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Here is a video on the Championship winning Schumacher Cat XLS.

I must confess I had never even heard of this car-- but it is made in the UK. This car is the real deal and reminds me of the legendary Associated RC10 buggy!

Old 01-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Jeffs82c3
CF Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

I have " The Frog " in the basement.. It needs new battery's. Been saving it for my grandson,when he gets old enough..
Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM
gilhuly
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I haven't played with it for a while......
Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM
TurboTnZ06
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I went straight to 7.5 cc nitromethane tunnel hulls and nitro airplanes.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:25 AM
Dave concrete
CF Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I think I had the Falcon. God this has to be 35 years ago. It was my first. However I stuck with slot cars for a longer time and held #1 spot for years in Super Womp, Group 12, and group 7
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 AM
LayZ
CF Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Way back in the day. I had the frog ( i think everyone had that)
and the midnight pumpkin. They are a blast for awhile, but like slot cars get old after a bit. RC cars unless you have a decent spot to make a track you have to take it somewhere, then people are tools. There was a guy that had a RC boat took it to a lake LOL he had to go swimming for it.

Last edited by LayZ; 01-30-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:40 AM
ZO ZICK
CF Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I used to own a few RC Cars, but slowly got away from them.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:41 AM
Johnsrx7
CF Senior Member

Location: Florida Gators! 3 National Championships back to back!!!
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Javelin on order. I have been buying up all the Kyosho rerelease kits.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:51 AM
Dodosmike
CF Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete View Post
I think I had the Falcon. God this has to be 35 years ago. It was my first.
Me to. I built it, turned every screw, but Dad helped me paint it.

We lived on the wide part of the street. It was a cul-de-sac, but was opened up years later and the street continued on. Our house was on the widest part of the road. The street was almost three lanes wide.
Second run out, Dad was driving it and it was hit by a car and squished, He bought me another, but I still had to build it.

Circa 1984/85.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM
OldRoger
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RC is total changed with the brushless motors and Lipo batteries. I been in and out of it since the 80s. Team Associated, Kyosho, Tamya. I never thought the cars from Tamya were very good. The speed controls and such were pretty marginal. Went to gas and had a lot of fun with Traxxis, when I could keep it running. But now a days with brushless, there is no need for nitro. Picked up the RC10B4 a while back. Its fun but it's so damn fast it's about ridiculous. Really need 4 wheel drive these days just to keep the thing going in a strait line.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Doo
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 & '06

Got my Traxxas gas powered trophy truck. Damn thing has 2 gears and is fast as hell.

Old 01-30-2018, 05:00 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs82c3 View Post
I have " The Frog " in the basement.. It needs new battery's. Been saving it for my grandson,when he gets old enough..
He is gonna love that thing! At the Japan store, there were two types of re release Tamiya kits....ready to run kits with the radio, servos, etc and the traditional unbuilt kits.

I was in Heaven! The store guys, though, probably thought I was nuts.

Originally Posted by gilhuly View Post
I haven't played with it for a while......
Wow!— is that the RC10 nitro? How does it run and compare to the current buggies or truggys?

Originally Posted by TurboTnZ06 View Post
No, I went straight to 7.5 cc nitromethane tunnel hulls and nitro airplanes.
Nice! Are you still playing with those planes?

Originally Posted by LayZ View Post
Way back in the day. I had the frog ( i think everyone had that)
and the midnight pumpkin. They are a blast for awhile, but like slot cars get old after a bit. RC cars unless you have a decent spot to make a track you have to take it somewhere, then people are tools. There was a guy that had a RC boat took it to a lake LOL he had to go swimming for it.
That’s funny! And must have sucked for the guy who had to fish it out.

Yes, my best friend had “The Frog.” He had even built a mini track in his front yard, lol.

Originally Posted by ZO ZICK View Post
I used to own a few RC Cars, but slowly got away from them.

So, it was you! I was watching the Kyosho Optimas and there were four for sale on Amazon for just over $300. But then slowly, they were being sold. Now, the ones for that low price are all gone.

Yep, I also think those re releases may hopefully be something a collector would want some day.

Are you also buying the two wheel drive re release Kyosho buggies?

Originally Posted by Johnsrx7 View Post
I have a Javelin on order. I have been buying up all the Kyosho rerelease kits.

Last edited by Patriot10; 01-30-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Doo View Post
Got my Traxxas gas powered trophy truck. Damn thing has 2 gears and is fast as hell.

Man, those things really turned the RC world on it’s ear!

I also was amazed at the Arrma bashers and racers. Talk about extreme performance that’s easy to control.

Originally Posted by OldRoger View Post
RC is total changed with the brushless motors and Lipo batteries. I been in and out of it since the 80s. Team Associated, Kyosho, Tamya. I never thought the cars from Tamya were very good. The speed controls and such were pretty marginal. Went to gas and had a lot of fun with Traxxis, when I could keep it running. But now a days with brushless, there is no need for nitro. Picked up the RC10B4 a while back. Its fun but it's so damn fast it's about ridiculous. Really need 4 wheel drive these days just to keep the thing going in a strait line.
Great story! I know what you mean about the brushless and LIPO batteries revolutionizing the hobby.

Back in the day, nitro was supreme! I never would have thought electric would be King!

Originally Posted by Dodosmike View Post
Me to. I built it, turned every screw, but Dad helped me paint it.

We lived on the wide part of the street. It was a cul-de-sac, but was opened up years later and the street continued on. Our house was on the widest part of the road. The street was almost three lanes wide.
Second run out, Dad was driving it and it was hit by a car and squished, He bought me another, but I still had to build it.

Circa 1984/85.

Aw man, that must have really sucked. That’s super cool of your Dad to replace the broken one, though. I bet you knew that RC inside out having had to build it twice!

I ordered a work display tray/stand that rotates for my Kyosho Javelin. Also, ordered a fresh set of tires for it as I plan on keeping the original tires and rims unused and fresh (in case I ever sell it to a collector).

I need some hex screwdrivers, though.

Last edited by Patriot10; 01-30-2018 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:12 PM
mtnman
CF Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

I had a Marui Big Bear to start (complete write off when I was done with it) - and then a Traxxas Sledgehammer. It sat in the basement for a LONG time - just sold it 2 years ago

My brother had a Tamiya Hornet followed by a Tamiya Super Sabre. The Sabre was awesome at the time...
Old 01-30-2018, 05:13 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

In case some of you may be wondering why we are so fierce when it comes to collecting old, vintage RCs....well, for myself they are a priceless part of my childhood when I could only afford one RC, and not the best one at that.

I also missed the boat completely when the legendary and still rare, Associated RC10 was re released a few years ago. That hurt! Now, I am in the position to afford this new crop of vintage racers. Gonna put up some shelves and display them in my man cave— just like a hobby store!
Old 01-30-2018, 05:16 PM
mtnman
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post
In case some of you may be wondering why we are so fierce when it comes to collecting old, vintage RCs....well, for myself they are a priceless part of my childhood when I could only afford one RC, and not the best one at that.

I also missed the boat completely when the legendary and still rare, Associated RC10 was re released a few years ago. That hurt! Now, I am in the position to afford this new crop of vintage racers. Gonna put up some shelves and display them in my man caveó just like a hobby store!
Expensive to collect - but cool to display
Old 01-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Patriot10
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
I had a Marui Big Bear to start (complete write off when I was done with it) - and then a Traxxas Sledgehammer. It sat in the basement for a LONG time - just sold it 2 years ago

My brother had a Tamiya Hornet followed by a Tamiya Super Sabre. The Sabre was awesome at the time...
How did you like the Bear vs the Sledgehammer? Did you get a good deal on it when you sold it?

Thatís so cool. The Tamiya had some very detailed kits. And yes, I think some of the later models were actually quite good!

The Hornet I think was similar to the Grasshopper (my very first RC that my late Dad bought for me in Hong Kong).

RIP Dad
Old 01-30-2018, 05:23 PM
mtnman
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Patriot10 View Post
How did you like the Bear vs the Sledgehammer? Did you get a good deal on it when you sold it?

That’s so cool. The Tamiya had some very detailed kits. And yes, I think some of the later models were actually quite good!

The Hornet I think was similar to the Grasshopper (my very first RC that my late Dad bought for me in Hong Kong).

RIP Dad
The Bear was a turd - even back then But it was all I could afford as a kid. Saved up like a **** and bought the Traxxas - WAY better machine. But took me so long to save up for it - that by then I had damned near outgrown the hobby. I had a Tamiya Coldhopper body for it.

Sold the Sledgehammer, batteries, chargers, controller, aftermarket "hipo" electric motor, 3 sets of spare tires, and all my spare parts for $100 CAD 2 years ago. Considering that I think I paid $300 for it way back then - I wouldn't say I did well

Yes - I think the Hornet and Grasshopper were pretty close. The Super Sabre was actually a 4 wheel drive car. It was pretty cool at the time

Last edited by mtnman; 01-30-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:23 PM
dmaxx3500
CF Senior Member

Received 507 Likes on 391 Posts

dad bought me a ''***'' stuka airplane,it made it 1 flight [crashed],then new wing and it hung from my ceiling for 20 years

I also had the *** vega and ski-doo snowmobile

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do we have a Remote Controlled car crew here?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: