Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Are used cars with 200k miles the norm now?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Are used cars with 200k miles the norm now?

Old 02-03-2018, 12:26 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Up Here In Patriots Nation Drinking The Haters Tears
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by FourPennyDoug View Post
Exactly, and with enough confidence based on experience that it will sell, eventually.

There's no rhyme or reason with what sells fast, I sat on that low mileage 30k GTO for like 8 months but sold a Duramax with 275k in a couple of weeks.

Those Tahoe/Yukon's are known to have great reliability
Old 02-03-2018, 12:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 3,930 Times in 3,439 Posts
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
It is amazing to me how many cars are for sale with over 200k miles. Who buys these? And the next alarming thing is that they still command almost the same price as something with less miles.
That is especially true with trucks around here. Some of the asking prices are .
Old 02-03-2018, 12:59 PM
Polar_Bear
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
Cars with "high mileage" (say 100k+ miles) can last, but it's a gamble due to unknown future repairs. My Cavalier lasted until 205k miles with stock suspension and all original engine components (except a fuel pump replaced at ~65k miles--all other components--starter, alternator, water pump, radiator, etc--were factory original). At 205k miles, like 4 things totaling $1,500 needed replacement, so I stopped driving it.

Cars can definitely last until 200k, 250k, 300k miles, but the cost/benefit analysis is tough with so many unpredictables (will trans need to be rebuilt? Will differential need to be replaced? Starter? Alternator, radiator? Suspension components?). Sometimes you'll make out like a bandit...other times you may end up getting annihilated.

If I can verify history, I'm more comfortable with high mileage (the more you know the better). If I know previous driver driving habits, much better. Cars with the snot kicked out of them are due for potentially expensive repairs regardless of 80k or 150k miles. For that reason, the make and model is also relevant. I would never buy a Camaro SS with 6-digit mileage...too likely a young driver beat the snot out of it. A Ford Crown Vic with 100k miles was much more likely to be gently driven.

Many factors to consider with high mileage vehicles.
Good post. Added to that, common cars & trucks where parts are cheap and plentiful factor into the equation as well. The word "value" weighs heavily into this. For example, I question the prices I've seen on high mileage Toyotas, Hondas, and Subarus. Not that they aren't durable and reliable, but there's a tremendous premium to be paid for those brands.

We're spoiled in the PacNwst- the word "rust" rarely factors in. Not true in other parts of the country, where vehicles often rust out long before they're mechanically worn out.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack View Post
That is especially true with trucks around here. Some of the asking prices are .
Look at new prices, and it suddenly makes sense. We live in an age where Ford F-Series pickups had an average transaction price of over $48K last year.

Last edited by Polar_Bear; 02-03-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:24 PM
rgregory
CF Senior Member

One of my friends always buys Toyota’s with like 200k, they might run fine but look like crap worn out inside and out but ya they do run.

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
I used to be uncomfortable with a vehicle if it got near 100k miles on the odometer, but my Tahoe with 192k miles is changing my attitude about vehicles these days.
Same here mine is at 175k and no isssues, still factory front brakes. Almost no maintenance at all just oil and transmission fluid.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member

amazes me.........this is not that difficult. IF the car is properly maintined it can go a long time. One changes fluids that is a BIG help.

See a high mileage car, pay a few $100 to get it checked before you buy it and then enjoy. No reason to take a chance.........that simple.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:31 PM
rgregory
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
Good post. Added to that, common cars & trucks where parts are cheap and plentiful factor into the equation as well. The word "value" weighs heavily into this. For example, I question the prices I've seen on high mileage Toyotas, Hondas, and Subarus. Not that they aren't durable and reliable, but there's a tremendous premium to be paid for those brands.
:
One of my friends has a Subaru Forester 2010. I have replaced her coil that failed and not coil on plug so when it died lost all power not just one cylinder, O2 sensors failed, recharge her a/c annually, changed her brakes. Less miles on hers (110k last time worked on it) than my Tahoe but I never need to anything on mine. She wants me now to check out some rattling noise when it is cold. So my opinion of Subaru ain’t that great.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:34 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Polar_Bear View Post
...........We're spoiled in the PacNwst- the word "rust" rarely factors in. Not true in other parts of the country, where vehicles often rust out long before they're mechanically worn out.

I live in the "snow belt", with the resultant road salt. While cars do last longer, due to better rust protection at the manufacturing level, it's rare to see cars in this area with 200K on the clock, because more often than not, they've rusted out by that point.

One thing that seriously concerns me, is that with all of the electronic sensors and switches both under the hood, as well as the undercarriage, corrosion in these connectors becomes a big liability. While it may not totally kill the car, it could leave you stranded by the side of the road.

One other comment on cars going 200K, these days the have overdrive transmissions, which greatly lowers the RPM range that the cars regularly sees. I remember the 1977 Pontiac T/A that I used to own. It had a 4 speed manual transmission, with a 3.23:1 rear gear. At 70 MPH, the car was turning close to 3000 RPM. On my 2001 C-5, with the 6 speed manual, at 70 MPH, the car is turning about 1000 RPM less. That most certainly helps longevity....
Old 02-03-2018, 01:36 PM
T's C6
CF Senior Member

Last edited by T's C6; 02-03-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:37 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

The guy I worked for at the last car lot I worked at made a good living doing this for 30 years, right up until the day he died. Mostly cars less than five years old, almost all with over 100K on them. What you get is people drive by the lot and see fairly new good looking cars with low prices on the windshield.

It may take years before a customer actually stops and buys, but driving past the lot every day conditions him/her to think "they've got some really nice cars there". I can't tell you how many times I heard that.

They are new and cheap enough to finance (who am I kidding - we owned our own finance company, we could finance dead people ) Yet enough miles on them to establish the need for an extended warranty. Good times, sorry to see it gone. The place was a country club for salesmen. Great people to work for.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:45 PM
TwoSmoke
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by GotCorvette? View Post
The guy I worked for at the last car lot I worked at made a good living doing this for 30 years, right up until the day he died. Mostly cars less than five years old, almost all with over 100K on them. What you get is people drive by the lot and see fairly new good looking cars with low prices on the windshield.

It may take years before a customer actually stops and buys, but driving past the lot every day conditions him/her to think "they've got some really nice cars there". I can't tell you how many times I heard that.

They are new and cheap enough to finance (who am I kidding - we owned our own finance company, we could finance dead people ) Yet enough miles on them to establish the need for an extended warranty. Good times, sorry to see it gone. The place was a country club for salesmen. Great people to work for.
So your saying 30 years is about it for a used car salesman ?

Hey FPD, how long you been doing this now?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:46 PM
JerriVette
CF Senior Member

Car ownership lasts longer so when they get sold they have more miles....

New Cars cost more than ever so people hold on to them longer..

So used cars tend to have more miles.

As an example my last new car purchase was 10 years ago and I now have 118k miles on my c6 z51..

It's been a lot of fun...still has contemporary looks and performance and I'll keep it until I purchase a new c8..

The c7 was great but I didn't want to drop another 50 grand...so I decided to keep my c6 until the next generation ...

I'll probably sell my present corvette with crazy miles on the odometer.

Probably be worth next to nothing at that point but who cares?

I bet the next owner will get a great car.

Last edited by JerriVette; 02-03-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:49 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

try to find an older truck for sale in Alberta with less than 200k and you'll be lucky, a diesel, not a chance.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:50 PM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

My 2002 Expedition has only had the plugs changed, alternator, battery and fuel pump replaced. 320,000 kms.
Granted I got it at 120,000kms.
Best $5k I ever spent.

Originally Posted by themonk View Post
try to find an older truck for sale in Alberta with less than 200k and you'll be lucky, a diesel, not a chance.
That's where I bought my Expedition when I lived in Edmonton.

Last edited by kingpin111; 02-03-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:53 PM
VetteLag00
CF Senior Member

I sure hope so

I am constantly on the go plus i like to travel the country out west and down south. I've put on 32k miles in 15 months

I love my current car and hope to keep for a while. Its possible i will run this up to 200k someday
Old 02-03-2018, 01:56 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!

Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
My 2002 Expedition has only had the plugs changed, alternator, battery and fuel pump replaced. 320,000 kms.
Granted I got it at 120,000kms.
Best $5k I ever spent.

That's where I bought my Expedition when I lived in Edmonton.
trucks here are like gold, we even have dem stinkin' Yanks coming up here and buying private sales.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:58 PM
Murray Anderson
CF Senior Member

Define older.

05 Dodge with 130k..... not bad.... and that’s kms

K .....I stopped counting at 15 and that’s your city, not just the province

Last edited by Murray Anderson; 02-03-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:00 PM
kingpin111
CF Senior Member

trucks here are like gold, we even have dem stinkin' Yanks coming up here and buying private sales.
It's all that damn sand they use in the winter instead of salt that rots the metal. Creates ******* curbs in the middle of the roads. LOL

I went to buy the truck and they wanted $5750 which I was willing to pay. I decided to give him my card and told him I had $5k to spend all in and if they could agree to it to give me a call within a couple days.
Got a call the next day to go pick it up.

Seemed cheap to me.

Last edited by kingpin111; 02-03-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:03 PM
themonk
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Murray Anderson View Post
Define older.

05 Dodge with 130k..... not bad
were you talking about this one?

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

for every one example of >200k I can find you 10 with more: (private sales).

First page of Kijiji....
Old 02-03-2018, 02:10 PM
GotCorvette?
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shammalammadingdong View Post

For most, it's far less than that. Some only do it for a few years or even months before moving on to something else. My son-in-law is 51 and he got his sales license on his 18th birthday. He's never done anything else, but that is the exception to the rule. I only did it for a little over two years, three different dealerships spread out over a ten year period. I've mostly been a blue collar machine operator in my working life, retired now.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:57 PM
FourPennyDoug
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Shammalammadingdong View Post

Since late 2004.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are used cars with 200k miles the norm now?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: