Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

So, you are retired. What did you do today?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

So, you are retired. What did you do today?

Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dahogan View Post
Went to a one time raffle and won. One of 216 in the State of Ohio that now has one and no more will be produced.Celebrating by having a beer.

A day worth toasting for sure !
Old 03-15-2019, 07:54 PM
dahogan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19

Spent a lot of time here on the forum today
Old 03-15-2019, 08:48 PM
Covfefe
CF Senior Member

Watched the Padres/Brewers game.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:02 AM
jdsaengine
CF Senior Member

Had lunch with my largest client yesterday. Told them I was retiring in April, and not taking any new work. Their comment was, "going to your condo in Florida? NOPE, don't have a condo, "going fishing? NOPE, don't fish. "going to golf everyday?" NOPE, don't golf. "Well then, why are you retiring?"

After thinking about it, damned if I know
Old 03-16-2019, 12:18 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post
Had lunch with my largest client yesterday. Told them I was retiring in April, and not taking any new work. Their comment was, "going to your condo in Florida? NOPE, don't have a condo, "going fishing? NOPE, don't fish. "going to golf everyday?" NOPE, don't golf. "Well then, why are you retiring?"

Not a bad thing to wake up every morning and do whatever it is you want to do. Takes some getting used to, but not much.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM
leadfoot4
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by caskiguy View Post
Not a bad thing to wake up every morning and do whatever it is you want to do. Takes some getting used to, but not much.

I've been retired from full-time work for 11 years. (did later pick up a part-time gig, for a while, for a little extra "pocket money") I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but the first day of retirement, April 1, 2008, I raked my lawn....my entire lawn....the "spring clean-up". Obvious question, what's the big deal? Simple thing....My lawn normally takes about 4-5 hours to completely rake it up, and when I was working, I didn't have the time to do it all at one time. It would take 4-5 evenings, as well as a Saturday (assuming I wasn't working, as I did work a lot of Saturdays). So, having the ability to go outside on a nice, warm day, and just leisurely work in my yard, as well as finish it all at one time, was a great feeling.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 PM
dahogan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

And, you can get up anytime you want. I get up to go to the bath room every night and sometimes cant go back to sleep. So, I go down stairs turn on the TV. When I was working I was always worried about getting up in time to make it to work. Now, who cares. I have watched some great movies between 1 am and sun rise.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM
brdd
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mikeceli View Post
Why Vegas in winter? It's pretty cold there in winter. Wife and i are considering a move to Vegas and are concerned it is too cold, in winter.
Las Vegas has a great location for day trips and overnight runs. Compared to the whole country the weather is excellent. Real estate is still reasonable. Property taxes are comparatively low. Always something to do even though we don't gamble or drink at all. We bought our property here in 2011 when they were giving it away. No regrets of any note.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:42 PM
dahogan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

A day worth toasting for sure !
I found out today that the est value is $500 plus per Giant Eagle. The people at the raffle were speculating between $400 to $600.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 PM
gdm78vette
CF Senior Member

Spend the day working with my son-in-law installing a sump pump. I did the drilling through the outside stone wall and the double block wall between the utility room where the pump will go and the room that is next to the outside wall. Got some of the piping up over the ceiling and called it quits for the day. Son-in-law took on the task of hacking the hole through the basement floor for the sump pit. 5 inches of concrete. We worked stupid hard today.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Covfefe
CF Senior Member

Watched the Padres/Royals game.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:09 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jdsaengine View Post

Start doing all the stuff you wish you'd done over the years if you weren't so busy working. Take a few months to just think about it, and learn to live in the moment. It'll come to you.

If you asked me 5 years ago if I'd ever retire, my answer would have been no...I loved what I was doing and was making good coin at it. Once I decided to hang it up, it didn't take long to fill my time doing things I always wanted to do/learn. Learning how to do new stuff is a good way to fill your time productively.

I now have zero desire to ever work again. Zero. Why? Because, though I derived satisfaction from it, it was far too distracting. Engineering just sucks up all your brain capacity, leaving no time for living carefree and in the moment. I was a perfectionist....couldn't stop thinking about a problem until I had the best solution. That takes a toll after awhile. You can't get that time back.

Now I'm thinking about spending a month or three next fall somewhere in the tropics learning how to surf. Why not?
Old 03-17-2019, 04:14 AM
C6 Snowboarder
CF Senior Member

Drove from Nelson NZ to Christchurch NZ- along HWY 1

now drinking a local Pinot Noir.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:57 AM
Hardscrable
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Turbodude View Post

If you asked me 5 years ago if I'd ever retire, my answer would have been no...

I was a perfectionist....couldn't stop thinking about a problem until I had the best solution. That takes a toll after awhile.
I too thought I would never retire. Medical issues developed making it impossible to do the required physical work so the decision to retire was more a necessity.

I too was/am a perfectionist. To this day one of my main problems is I cannot “shut down” my mind. I have to be thinking about something, analyzing details & what ifs. Without business stuff to think about I now think of every day minor life ‘problems’. Can’t seem to shut it off...drives me crazy times. Guess I haven’t learned how to just relax body and mind.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:27 AM
Turbodude
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Hardscrable View Post
I too thought I would never retire. Medical issues developed making it impossible to do the required physical work so the decision to retire was more a necessity.

I too was/am a perfectionist. To this day one of my main problems is I cannot “shut down” my mind. I have to be thinking about something, analyzing details & what ifs. Without business stuff to think about I now think of every day minor life ‘problems’. Can’t seem to shut it off...drives me crazy times. Guess I haven’t learned how to just relax body and mind.
Try rediirecting it into more pleasurable area. That's kinda what I do....guitar, languages, travel, flying airplanes, etc. Keeps my mind busy, but it's all fun and challenging. But I've also learned to just switch off and savor the moment. I try hard not to think about problems, especially those I have zero control over. Don't always succeed, but I deny that impulse as possible by being occupied with other stuff.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:54 AM
jdsaengine
CF Senior Member

I now have zero desire to ever work again. Zero. Why? Because, though I derived satisfaction from it, it was far too distracting. Engineering just sucks up all your brain capacity, leaving no time for living carefree and in the moment. I was a perfectionist....couldn't stop thinking about a problem until I had the best solution. That takes a toll after awhile. You can't get that time back.

I'm a mechanical engineer and make extremely nice income which makes it hard to just walk away. I need to get a grip on the "money isn't everything" idea. And yes I wake up at 2am thinking about that 11,000 gal. a min pump that I need to fit into the building and think, this is really draining me. I'm telling everyone to leave me alone after April, but keeping a few clients that I can satisfy via a notebook in 30min. while sitting on the beach. Even that might get old after 6 mo or a year. We shall see.

And in keeping with the thread theme, I replaced all the smoke detectors in our house yesterday. We discovered the old ones did not work after burning a roast and none of them went off. We have lived in this house since 2011 and they said on the label, "replace after 2003" I think it was time. Don't just change a batt., make sure they are not out of date
Old 03-17-2019, 11:42 AM
gtmalone
CF Member

Try rediirecting it into more pleasurable area. That's kinda what I do....guitar, languages, travel, flying airplanes, etc. Keeps my mind busy, but it's all fun and challenging. But I've also learned to just switch off and savor the moment. I try hard not to think about problems, especially those I have zero control over. Don't always succeed, but I deny that impulse as possible by being occupied with other stuff.

It may take a bit to let go but the rewards are excellent! Not saying I don't worry about stuff but it's now MY stuff and not my former employer's stuff. Not having a schedule except for what we make is the biggest payoff.

Speaking of no schedules - We just got home from a 9 day road trip to see friends and family (unfortunately not in the Vette because of summer tires and temps). Anyways, had a great time hanging out together and enjoying the ride. Laughed a lot! No schedule, no set route. Figured it out when we started the day at whatever time we decided to start the day.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 PM
dahogan
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Ohio Events Coordinator

I was a prosecutor for 38 years. I just got tired of stupid judges and people failing to appear for Court. I was dealing with everyone else's problems every day when I had enough of my own.

Just signed up to do a glassblowing class where I will make my own hummingbird feeder to add to my hummingbird garden this spring. Life is good
Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 PM
BLUE1972
CF Senior Member

Replaced the rear on the kids 2005 Trailblazer , what a PIA.

Everyone wanted $1500 and up.

Got a "used" you know previously owned rear from the "junk yard" , (automotive recycle center) for $250, looks great and just did a test drive - works well.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 PM
caskiguy
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Pressure washed my engine bay and underbody !

1970 Project & 80 degrees !

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So, you are retired. What did you do today?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: