Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

What an experience - Do yourself a favor and don't ask about ionizers on poolforum

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

What an experience - Do yourself a favor and don't ask about ionizers on poolforum

Old 08-13-2018, 12:04 PM
scottycards
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

The guy does make good points.

Skip the ionizer.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 PM
Z06PSI
1SG of the Goon Squad
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
I'm just beside myself. I don't even know how to react to this.
Don't. Let ignorance fester on its own.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:09 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Clearly an Ionizer banged that guys wife
Old 08-13-2018, 12:18 PM
J S Machine
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

Originally Posted by Swany00 View Post
Clearly an Ionizer banged that guys wife
I was thinking high school girlfriend.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:25 PM
PLRX
Semper Fidelis 1988-2011

2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Pools are like a central air conditioner going 24/7 but nobody inside. Here in CA it adds NO value to your house.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:55 PM
Swany00
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
Pools are like a central air conditioner going 24/7 but nobody inside. Here in CA it adds NO value to your house.
I disagree man, maybe some above ground POS won't add value, but some pools are an entirely new living space for homes in nicer hoods.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Old Man in a C
CF Senior Member

Although your buddy "PoolDoc" appears to be an *******, I have to agree with his position. Copper's ability to "kill/prevent" algae has been well known for centuries . The pioneers put pennies in their water barrels to prevent algae. Farmers dump copper into their ponds for the same reason. It does work. And, it will stain the hell out of a porous pool surface. Not so much a vinyl liner, but I'd use another method.
Note: Although the "ideal" chlorine level is stated as 3.0 ppm, I wouldn't be afraid of 5.0. Sun, heat, airborne debris, ****,****, and vinegar, all deplete chlorine. As far as Ph and alkalinity goes, the pool store would have you chasing that needlessly. Chlorine is your friend.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:32 PM
J S Machine
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
St. Jude Knife Maker

I was wondering why I could not find much info about it. I figured that if nothing was coming up, it is probably not something that is very popular. I was looking at making a little unit that runs off of a solar panel just to assist with the common chlorine.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 PM
JDSKY
CF Senior Member

While the moderator was pretty harsh most of his responses are valid to a point. I can provide some insight on my experience with using a copper ionizer on my pool for nearly 10 years but doubt it would be very helpful to you. Mine is a 34,000 gallon in-ground with a vinyl liner so other than the fact mine contains a bit more H2O the concept will be similar just not the same. The reason I say this is less water will be easier to manage because a complete drain and fill is a possible option and one I would absolutely recommend to anyone using just copper ions to manage their pool water. With my pool the only time this can happen is when I change liners which I just did after the initial liner hit the age of 18 years old. For anyone wanting to go copper I would suggest dumping and refilling with fresh water every 6-8 years.

My system was not DIY it was manufactured by EcoSmarte. They are located in MN and only a 30 min drive from my home so I had the chance to speak with them at length before actually purchasing one and installing it. Bottom line is the system worked for me in my pool, with my water type, in my climate and specifically with a fairly short swimming season - May thru September. This is why I specifically stated my experience will be different than yours because of differences in climate (length of swim season), type of water (pools need water added all the time), bather load (how many people are using the pool on a regular basis) etc... As you can see there are so many variables my 10 years of successful use is really of little value to your situation. For me the system worked perfectly, we had no issues with it and the only reason we switched over to a salt system completely was due to a need to swap out the water almost completely to get rid of a specific allergic reaction my daughter was having that developed in years 8-10. The system worked perfectly up to that point. We just decided to switch to salt and 8 years later have really had no reason to go back to a copper ionization system. Our salt pool has been just as good to swim in as the copper based pool but even easier to maintain.

Here are a couple of links to manufacturers where you can learn a bit more about a mineral based system.

This is the system I had on my pool: https://www.ecosmarte.com/our-products

Another popular system: https://www.clearblueionizer.com/en/home/

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What an experience - Do yourself a favor and don't ask about ionizers on poolforum

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: