Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > Off Topic > Off Topic
Reload this Page >

Business idea...no idea how to start it. Thoughts?

Off Topic Off Topic | Non-Corvette

Business idea...no idea how to start it. Thoughts?

Old 10-23-2018, 08:18 PM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Raazor View Post
A small business owner must stay calm, cool and collected under the most stressful situations.

Whoops!

/thread
fugger
Old 10-23-2018, 08:19 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 592 Times in 275 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1 View Post
fugger
Old 10-23-2018, 08:22 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Ya know Slo, you are nothing but a stones throw from basically the center of the universe for big pharma. They hire college educated guys like you for their sales force all the time, and I don't think they necessarily have to have a background in medicine or biology. Basically the job is about bribing doctors to prescribe whatever drugs you're (legally) pushing, and you make large coin for doing it if your any good at it at all. You've got the time, go put in some resumes.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:23 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Liked 52 Times in 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
Truth.

So, out of simple morbid curiosity, have you broadened your search to outside your immediate geographical area? If not, you're severely limiting yourself and that's a large part of the reason you can't find a job. You're young. Broaden your search. Move if you have to. Get out of your little comfort zone. There's a big world out there with lots of opportunities. Take advantage of that while you can.
I would love to move. I literally can't. I'm so underwater on this fing mortgage thanks to the shyt *** neighbors in my town that if I move (which includes paying off my underwater mortgage), I wouldn't have any money left for a down payment on a new home. It's a huge problem. It's like compounding investment returns...in reverse. In your favor, home equity is a powerful force towards financial stability. In reverse, it's just as powerful but leads to devastating financial consequences.

Sure, I CAN sell this shyt and pay off the underwater mortgage. Then I have no money for a new down payment, so I'm renting an apartment. Which means I'm dumping money for a different poor investment (dumping money into this POS house or a POS apartment).

It fing sucks. I'm literally torn between having a new job in another city, but being financially destitute bevause I need to pay down this shyt mortgage or struggling to find a job below true market rate in my city and being able to keep said shyt mortgage.

There is no good option. None. And unlike walking from a shyt stock that is tax deductible for losses incurred, there is no tax deduction on massive real estate losses. It's a fing nightmare.

F my life.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 PM
tumbleweed
CF Senior Member

Location: "There's a he11 of a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on this outfit....... i'm practicing to be a grouchy old man, and getting good at it....
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Going a completely different direction, if you have cheap land available, look into storage unit buildings...most I've seen fill up overnight and once built there is very little overhead....
Old 10-23-2018, 08:25 PM
BOTYNV1
CF Senior Member

Liked 83 Times in 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by 05c6silververt View Post
Ya know Slo, you are nothing but a stones throw from basically the center of the universe for big pharma. They hire college educated guys like you for their sales force all the time, and I don't think they necessarily have to have a background in medicine or biology. Basically the job is about bribing doctors to prescribe whatever drugs you're (legally) pushing, and you make large coin for doing it if your any good at it at all. You've got the time, go put in some resumes.
Ya gotta be able to close strongly and often.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by Raazor View Post
A small business owner must stay calm, cool and collected under the most stressful situations.

Whoops!

/thread

Again, not helpful.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 2,142 Times in 965 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Slo Yelo C5 View Post
I would love to move. I literally can't. I'm so underwater on this fing mortgage thanks to the shyt *** neighbors in my town that if I move (which includes paying off my underwater mortgage), I wouldn't have any money left for a down payment on a new home. It's a huge problem. It's like compounding investment returns...in reverse. In your favor, home equity is a powerful force towards financial stability. In reverse, it's just as powerful but leads to devastating financial consequences.

Sure, I CAN sell this shyt and pay off the underwater mortgage. Then I have no money for a new down payment, so I'm renting an apartment. Which means I'm dumping money for a different poor investment (dumping money into this POS house or a POS apartment).

It fing sucks. I'm literally torn between having a new job in another city, but being financially destitute bevause I need to pay down this shyt mortgage or struggling to find a job below true market rate in my city and being able to keep said shyt mortgage.

There is no good option. None. And unlike walking from a shyt stock that is tax deductible for losses incurred, there is no tax deduction on massive real estate losses. It's a fing nightmare.

F my life.
As our kids and some of my employees have heard me say numerous times, there are reasons and excuses, which are vastly different things. What you typed above is just excuses, not reasons.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle
Support Corvetteforum!

Liked 592 Times in 275 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Amway

/thread
Old 10-23-2018, 08:28 PM
ZO ZICK
CF Senior Member

Liked 55 Times in 52 Posts

Open a strip club, lot more enjoyable.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 PM
flange
CF Senior Member

Liked 37 Times in 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

F my life.
if you could get out of there reasonably, renting for a few years might be just what you need. houses are expensive right now and require upkeep. being nimble and renting might allow you to open up horizons. move over this way you open up phillly, Princeton, and up to New York city markets for jobs, all areas which are booming.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Wrong.

I have a friend at Merck in West Point. I already looked into it. You need prior sales experiemce (and they prefer pharma sales experience) to work there in sales. Pfizer in Collegeville, Teva in North Wales, AstraZeneca in Wilmington De, Johnson and Johnson in Fort Washington and West Chester...same scenario. I even tried to do fing animal pharma (animal fing pharma!! Animals!!!!) at Zoetis in Exton. They even want prior sales experiemce for fing Animals!!! What am I...the farmer in the dell?!

Some of you old guys have no idea what the job market has become. It's a fing joke. They want you to be 95% of what the current job is before you walk in the door. If not...nope. No dice. It makes it hell to find a new job.

My buddy got laid off doing pharma sales in Philly about 3 years ago. He did it for +/-10 years for the world's 2nd largest pharma company. He's now a DJ after unsuccessfully searching for a new pharma sales job for several years. I'm truly terrified I'm either going to be sweeping fing floors or dramatically under-employed in finance after this. All thanks to a corporate re org that ended my career.

It just makes you feel hopeless and helpless. And other people are totally unsympathetic. It makes you realize who your true friends are and who you can turn to when shyt really hits the fan. It's scary as F.

I mean, I have an interview Thursday, but this is ridiculous. Every time they go "You have 64 job skills but not this 1...so...nah", it makes you want to just run in the woods and leave society. It's fing absurd. I truly don't even know if I want to work for a corporation after this.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 PM
nist7
CF Senior Member

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

If you have to move to a new city. Instead of selling the house, why not rent it out to other people? Traditional leasing, AirBnB, VRBO, etc.

Or hell if you have a vette or another fun car, can even rent it out on turo or something....
Old 10-23-2018, 08:44 PM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Some of you old guys have no idea what the job market has become. It's a fing joke.
That's just pure, unadulterated BULLSHIT. While I haven't had to look for a job in a number of years, I always have several I'm trying to fill. Millennials are the worst applicants, always wanting special perks or things that don't come with the position. They want to telecommute when the job is at a facility. They want a signing bonus. They want me to pay off something so they can move. Etc. Etc. Etc. I'm actively trying to hire younger people I can mentor, but I'm getting fed up with the entitlement attitude and excuses from younger applicants.

Slo, you have more excuses (and no good reasons) why you can't find a job. You simply choose not to do what's needed and keep making excuses. Nobody can help you when you refuse to help yourself.

/thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM
05c6silververt
CF Senior Member

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Wrong.

I have a friend at Merck in West Point. I already looked into it. You need prior sales experiemce (and they prefer pharma sales experience) to work there in sales. Pfizer in Collegeville, Teva in North Wales, AstraZeneca in Wilmington De, Johnson and Johnson in Fort Washington and West Chester...same scenario. I even tried to do fing animal pharma (animal fing pharma!! Animals!!!!) at Zoetis in Exton. They even want prior sales experiemce for fing Animals!!! What am I...the farmer in the dell?!

Some of you old guys have no idea what the job market has become. It's a fing joke. They want you to be 95% of what the current job is before you walk in the door. If not...nope. No dice. It makes it hell to find a new job.

My buddy got laid off doing pharma sales in Philly about 3 years ago. He did it for +/-10 years for the world's 2nd largest pharma company. He's now a DJ after unsuccessfully searching for a new pharma sales job for several years. I'm truly terrified I'm either going to be sweeping fing floors or dramatically under-employed in finance after this. All thanks to a corporate re org that ended my career.

It just makes you feel hopeless and helpless. And other people are totally unsympathetic. It makes you realize who your true friends are and who you can turn to when shyt really hits the fan. It's scary as F.

I mean, I have an interview Thursday, but this is ridiculous. Every time they go "You have 64 job skills but not this 1...so...nah", it makes you want to just run in the woods and leave society. It's fing absurd. I truly don't even know if I want to work for a corporation after this.
You'll never get the job if they don't know that you want it. If you don't try you've already lost. There's something to be said for showing up. Pick the company that you'd really like to work for, submit your resume, interview, and don't take no for an answer. Keep going back. Don't call, don't e-mail, go there. Wait for the HR manager for hours if you have to. Go every 2-3 weeks. Make them know that they are the one company that you want to be part of. Research them, know as much about their business and the top management as you can learn. And show them that you're not going away. You've got a degree and a good work history, eventually they will give you a chance.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by nist7 View Post
If you have to move to a new city. Instead of selling the house, why not rent it out to other people? Traditional leasing, AirBnB, VRBO, etc.

Or hell if you have a vette or another fun car, can even rent it out on turo or something....
Based on my P-I, absurd real estate taxes (3.4% of home value on an annual basis), and high association fee, I would be out several hundred/month if I rent it out. So I'll take a huge loss each month and have to pay sky high rental fees somewhere else. Its a no win dilemma.

That's why my neighborhood has had a 5%+ annual foreclosure rate for 5+ years. Distressed sales everywhere in this neighborhood. The old "financial death spiral". It makes it impossible to get rid of it unless you eat an enormous loss (which in my case would mean I'd have no $ for down payment on a new house--making me a renter which is not a great finamcial proposition) or trash your credit and walk from it (which will kill me in any potential job as financial firms ALWAYS do credit checks for hiring). Worse...PA is one of only 6, 7, 8 states that allows lenders to seek financial damages from homeowners that walk away. In most states, walking away ends it. They get the house, your credit goes up in flames. In PA, your credit gets blown to shyt AND the lender is entitled to financial damages from the former owner if they have to take a loss.

No win scenario.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 PM
ojm
CF Senior Member

Liked 83 Times in 68 Posts

This sounds like a disaster in the making, Do something you are trained at, it sounds like money is the last thing you want to lose more of. Sometimes step back to go two steps forward.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:02 PM
c1nicole
CF Senior Member

Liked 118 Times in 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
That's just pure, unadulterated BULLSHIT. While I haven't had to look for a job in a number of years, I always have several I'm trying to fill. Millennials are the worst applicants, always wanting special perks or things that don't come with the position. They want to telecommute when the job is at a facility. They want a signing bonus. They want me to pay off something so they can move. Etc. Etc. Etc. I'm actively trying to hire younger people I can mentor, but I'm getting fed up with the entitlement attitude and excuses from younger applicants.

Slo, you have more excuses (and no good reasons) why you can't find a job. You simply choose not to do what's needed and keep making excuses. Nobody can help you when you refuse to help yourself.

/thread
Never understood the horrible financial decisions to getting someone underwater on a mortgage or auto loan. Oh, yea, living above your means.

If you have no equity in your home...... good guesstimate you have poor financial decision making skills.

Stev~E, Miss you.... where you been?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:03 PM
Slo Yelo C5
CF Senior Member

You'll never get the job if they don't know that you want it. If you don't try you've already lost. There's something to be said for showing up. Pick the company that you'd really like to work for, submit your resume, interview, and don't take no for an answer. Keep going back. Don't call, don't e-mail, go there. Wait for the HR manager for hours if you have to. Go every 2-3 weeks. Make them know that they are the one company that you want to be part of. Research them, know as much about their business and the top management as you can learn. And show them that you're not going away. You've got a degree and a good work history, eventually they will give you a chance.
The Pfizer campus in Collegeville is gated with security guards. As is the AstraZeneca campus in Wilmington, the Teva campus in North Wales, the JnJ campus in West Chester and Fort Washington. You literally can't go talk to somebody. If you could, I would.

So, true story. I went, in person, without an invitation or interview to a small, satellite office of one of the most elite wall street firms recently (use your imagination--but it's a household name). Shockingly, the manager agreed to talk with me about job opportunities. She goes, "Your resume is stellar. Your credentials are impeccable. I can tell you're a well spoken and professional individual. I would love to have you on my staff. You even have the exact skill sets I want. But I've been begging HR for money for an additional FTE and they simply won't give me the funds. If they approve it, you're at the absolute top of my list". I literally have a fing job, but can't get it be cause the cheap Fs in HR won't give her cash for an FTE even though she's running on a skeleton crew.

It's absolutely painful to experiemce shyt like that. She told me she was sincere. She even emailed me and thanked me for visiting her. But she told me she can't get the fing funds. Damnit. It is such a nightmare.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Steve_R
Nuclear Dude
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c1nicole View Post
Stev~E, Miss you.... where you been?
Almost 2 weeks at Disney World where the grandkids kept us going nonstop. Last week in northern OH. This week in eastern Canada. Not much time in the bar lately with some of the idiocy that it seems to have attracted. Have to make a trip back to Bismarck soon to give the son a little relief since the DIL isn't improving much.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Business idea...no idea how to start it. Thoughts?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: